BMW Roadside Service-What a Joke

Yesterday I hopped on my 2022 R18B and drove some 8 miles to the Post Office. When I came out my battery was dead, probably from the cold weather. Anyway, I called Roadside Assistance for help. They sent me a text 15 minutes later telling me they were “searching for the best available provider” and would update me soon.

3 hours 15 minutes later I got a text “we are not able to find an available service provider” and asked if I wanted to schedule service for the next day. No thanks, I am not going to leave my bike overnight in a downtown post office parking lot losing time off work and having it cannibalized or damaged.

Fortunately an older gentleman came out of the post office and was complimentary about my bike. I mentioned that the battery died and he offered a jump with his “Goal Zero Venture Jump.” Bingo, the bike fired right up. Taking it in Saturday for a check up and probably a new battery.

My point here is that BMW is a premium brand and touts in its advertising roadside service 3yr/36 months. But, the operator could barely speak English and I had to repeat information several times. The entire incident was frustrating while I stood in 40 degree weather for over 3hrs.

I wrote a nasty complaint to BMW. Next time I will use my Coach Net service.

Just be prepared for possible mediocre service and have a back up.

Yesterday I hopped on my 2022 R18B and drove some 8 miles to the Post Office. When I came out my battery was dead, probably from the cold weather. Anyway, I called Roadside Assistance for help. They sent me a text 15 minutes later telling me they were “searching for the best available provider” and would update me soon.

3 hours 15 minutes later I got a text “we are not able to find an available service provider” and asked if I wanted to schedule service for the next day. No thanks, I am not going to leave my bike overnight in a downtown post office parking lot losing time off work and having it cannibalized or damaged.

Fortunately an older gentleman came out of the post office and was complimentary about my bike. I mentioned that the battery died and he offered a jump with his “Goal Zero Venture Jump.” Bingo, the bike fired right up. Taking it in Saturday for a check up and probably a new battery.

My point here is that BMW is a premium brand and touts in its advertising roadside service 3yr/36 months. But, the operator could barely speak English and I had to repeat information several times. The entire incident was frustrating while I stood in 40 degree weather for over 3hrs.

Me to they make it as difficult as possible to help waiting time horrendous I just phone aa now 🙃

I didn't even know WE had roadside service! They never explained that to me. Meanwhile...it appears that BMW Motorrad and BMW as in the parent company are a different animal. The Car division is VERY concerned with customer service...VERY!!! I am reading too many posts on this site where BMW Motorrad has a F'off attitude...which is shocking....

As an aside...I only trust a battery about two years, even on a trickle charger. I'm a canyon rider in LA, I was stuck once and called MY transport guy, he dropped everying but it still took 1 1/2 hours. If I was deep in a canyon....forget it. So I replace the batteries often. I had a 120 race motor in my Harley. And as much as people poo poo lithium batteries, that's what I went with. There are two types, one sucks, the other I found to be excellent. I think it was 400 or so CCRs, kick as start up, lasts a long time without going dead. When my factory battery hits about two years in my 2023 R18, that's what I'm getting.
Good luck...

I carry a very cheap pair of jumper cables, the kind that you get for free in a travel gift bag; they're perfect for a bike as they don't take a lot of space and are light weight. Anyway, I haven't had any battery issues on my 2022 Model B, but have had to jump start friend's Road Glides while out on the road...

My point is... The Battery Terminals are easy to get at without needing tools in order to take the whole bike apart in order to get to the battery; having cables on you is the first step towards asking for a jump from a car or another bike.. Keep in mind, if the other bike is an Harley, you'll need tools... 😂

Question: I just got my bike and haven't read the entire manual, plus it's easier to just ask you guys...where is the battery on these things? Can it be easily swapped out. On my R9T you needed to consult a neurosurgeon to get to the damn thing, on my Harley you pop off a plate it's right there.

Thanks.

I believe it is located behind the left hand side panel, where the R18 badge is. Never attempted to look in there as I hadn’t have the need to.
If I am going to spend more than one month without using a vehicle, I normally charge the battery once a month.
In the case of the B, since I have not ridden her since September due tu my knee injury, I charge her with the BMW charger plus which allows the charging of the battery to be done via the electric port /socket on the B which is located on the dash board or the one next to the reverse gear lever. In your case, I believe you have the same port next to the reverse gear lever. It is one of those that looks like a cigarette lighter thingy.

Worth putting some time in to know how to hook another battery up for a jump start.... I'd probally call my automobile organisation association rather then BMW assist..... where I live this will normally get a vehicle attendance within an hour.... but they will not know anything about the bike..... so you should.... saves time.

I haven't had to replace my battery as of yet, but I did note it when I was installing the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust system/CPU module and it looks fairly straight forward; jump starting the bike is even easier. There's a POSITIVE service terminal located on the Right Hand Side, you will see a hint of RED colored heat shrink; the NEGATIVE terminal (or GROUND) is located under the right hand side cylinder.

NOTE: When connecting to the POSITIVE Terminal, be extra careful not to let the jumper cable alligator clip make contact with the frame of the bike; if this happens, make sure your'e wearing brown colored pants...

1702814808319.png

I'm wondering...

With all the electronics on these bikes, is it possible to even push-start them anymore with a dead battery?

Maybe not "push-start", given their weight, but, at least hill-start?

Mike

Question: I just got my bike and haven't read the entire manual, plus it's easier to just ask you guys...where is the battery on these things? Can it be easily swapped out. On my R9T you needed to consult a neurosurgeon to get to the damn thing, on my Harley you pop off a plate it's right there.

Thanks.
It's not that easy mate it's pretty tight it comes out left side cover silencer with heavy duster to stop it getting marked

Hill start yes push start terminator job
Yeah...I was thinking about Alcina's weight when I was typing that...

She's a THICCCC girl, and has a LOT of cushion for pushin'!

But, more seriously, I'm thinking about the anti-theft system, fuel pump, engine computer, infotainment (if equipped), and auxiliary powered devices (e.g. license plate light) that are all running at "KEY ON".

I know bimmers are VERY picky, where low voltages at the battery can result in unpredictable results, ranging from ABS/traction control errors to a wide variety of CELs. I even had an E39's EWS (antitheft) screw up its rolling codes, making the vehicle un-drivable without INPA recoding, courtesy of low battery voltage.

I wonder if beemers are susceptible to similar shenanigans in low-voltage situations? Kind of makes me want to keep a battery pack along, if only to power the DME and electronics long enough for a hill-start to do the rest.

Mike

Back