Bren Tuners: Let us hear what you think!

Man my R18C is new, only 284 miles on it, no first service, no BT, and has yet to exhibit any of the pre-BT issues you've reported here. In fact, in runs damn good! The power is good, and even with two up I pass cars easily on the interstate...I also a ride a Honda Valkyrie 1800 with 118 rwhp..and although this 18C isn't as fast, it stacks respectably well to it. I can only imagine once it's serviced and tuned, and with some miles clocked it's gonna be real nice.
Yeah, I like to refer to mine as not being baked fully yet. Its not a bad bike by any means, simply just not a great bike.....yet. I'm hopeful Berlin will increase the the specs a bit and smooth some edges out in the next few years before my easy ride is due. Otherwise I'm likely to jump ship for an Indian Pursuit

Yeah, I like to refer to mine as not being baked fully yet. Its not a bad bike by any means, simply just not a great bike.....yet. I'm hopeful Berlin will increase the the specs a bit and smooth some edges out in the next few years before my easy ride is due. Otherwise I'm likely to jump ship for an Indian Pursuit
Indian is just ANOTHER vtwin. Ride an 1800 Valkyrie if you want flat torque,hp and ultra smooth performance!

Indian is just ANOTHER vtwin. Ride an 1800 Valkyrie if you want flat torque,hp and ultra smooth performance!
No android Auto or Car Play, no fairing, no cruise control, and sadly, no longer made.... so, no warranty. I ride a few 10k miles a year and a warranty is a life saver or trip saver, whichever! :)

No android Auto or Car Play, no fairing, no cruise control, and sadly, no longer made.... so, no warranty. I ride a few 10k miles a year and a warranty is a life saver or trip saver, whichever! :)
Oh I hear ya man...many short comings, but from a rideability perspective, nothing comes close. Plus bulletproof reliability with very low maintenance. But, and I mean this, there are things about the R18 I like WAY more. The R18 is very unique, with super cool character. Like my 1800 Valk...an original...

Oh I hear ya man...many short comings, but from a rideability perspective, nothing comes close. Plus bulletproof reliability with very low maintenance. But, and I mean this, there are things about the R18 I like WAY more. The R18 is very unique, with super cool character. Like my 1800 Valk...an original...
Its funny, when I was younger the character of a bike was sooooo much more important to me than now. When I was in my late teens/ early 20's I had a 84 V65 Sabre that I thought was just the cat's meow. Of course I also thought a long ride was down to the local bar. Now at 45 I don't even bother warming up a bike for less than a 200 mile ride. So, now I'm much more focused on "can I ride the thing for X miles without hating it?". I'm hyper focused on going places in reasonable comfort to the point that even though I never drank the Harley cool aide, I'd buy one if I could ride it just a half a mile further than the R18

Its funny, when I was younger the character of a bike was sooooo much more important to me than now. When I was in my late teens/ early 20's I had a 84 V65 Sabre that I thought was just the cat's meow. Of course I also thought a long ride was down to the local bar. Now at 45 I don't even bother warming up a bike for less than a 200 mile ride. So, now I'm much more focused on "can I ride the thing for X miles without hating it?". I'm hyper focused on going places in reasonable comfort to the point that even though I never drank the Harley cool aide, I'd buy one if I could ride it just a half a mile further than the R18
Then what you need is a true Goldwing...period. For touring it's the top of the food chain ..if that's your thing. That flat 6 boxer is unsurpassed in many catagories...

Reactions: Vyk
No,Indian is not just another V-Twin and the Goldwing isn't just a Subaru.
Since we are off topic anyway,here is some expierence for me to share.

The R1800 is more like the Indian Thunderstroke than it is like the Honda.TQ not HP with low end grunt and pretty much done at 5500 rpms.
Both the 111(116) and R18 are air/oil cooled engines.That which means the heads actually carry oil pressure from a pump to the heads.The Indian carries 50/60 pounds at idle.Not sure what the R18 carries but probably around 50.
The Harley Davidson Vtwin is a splash system.Not bad but just what it is and been that way for manny moons.Btw,a oil cooler on a HD does not make the HD a oil cooled engine.A oil cooler cools the oil not the engine.Having a oil cooled engine is just that.The oil is pressurized to advance cooling kinda.

Here is a little history on the S&S designed Wedge and the Thunderstroke.Where it is believed the Thunderstroke grew from.

History:
I remember seeing the Wedge engine at the Laughlin River Run.If my mind serves me correctly it was 2002 or 03.The engine was a 56 degree Vtwin with 3 belt driven cams.The Thunderstroke uses oiled chains instead.The 3 cam design used the center cam for intake and the 2 end cams for exhaust.This allows the engine to keep a long stroke but keep engine height down.Back at the time I was interested in buying a X Wedge engine.Sadly,the folks at S&S said "The X Wedge won't fit in your Roadking Frame."WTF?
Crazy huh?Why would S&S build a engine that would not fit in a HD frame???Anyway,as the story goes, the idea was to build the engine 1st.Then build frame around the engine which came later.Funny,the engine was kept a secret under the code name "FRED"and of course the frame was to be called "WILMA".LOL,which S&S did build a couple frames, but did not to sell them.
I won't bore you with how BIG DOG ended up building a frame around this beautiful engine as you can do all the research you care to.Just thought I would share my personal expierence with any Bro that might be interested or that may have heard some rumors about how the 111:) came to fruition.

https://www.sscycle.com/docs/defaul...7-x-wedge-owners-manual-20160524.pdf?sfvrsn=4

My 116 only makes about 98hp at the rear wheel because of the the heads are designed to make TQ(125 tq @3000 and over 70hp at the rear wheel)
The engine is designed to have tq where a person rides yes, where it is ridden.
For comparison a good running twin cam makes around 50-60 hp @3000rpms.Funny folks get caught up around numbers,peak numbers.The real question is:How much throttle is needed to get the bike to excellerate or how many gears are needed to down shift to pass.The R18 was not made for Hp but for Tq.Hence a smaller boxer that makes more hp and less tq.
R Nine T:Engine: 1,170 cc air/oil-cooled 4-stroke flat twin ...
Max Torque: 86 lb-ft (116 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Engine Power: 110 Hp

Last edited by a moderator:
Then what you need is a true Goldwing...period. For touring it's the top of the food chain ..if that's your thing. That flat 6 boxer is unsurpassed in many catagories...
I like my 116 and get better gas mileage.
The 2008 wing I had got 35mpg
My Indian gets 40mpg+ running at 75 mph
at 60mph well over 45mph

2 plugs no valve adjustment 1 hole for all driveline oil.

My point.Everybody is right when it comes to the machine they like and purchase.
Otherwise we would all be riding the same thing with no mods,LOL.Not even a Bren tune:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my 116 and get better gas mileage.
The 2008 wing I had got 35mpg
My Indian gets 40mpg+ running at 75 mph
at 60mph well over 45mph

2 plugs no valve adjustment 1 hole for all driveline oil.

My point.Everybody is right when it comes to the machine they like and purchase.
Otherwise we would all be riding the same thing with no mods,LOL.Not even a Bren tune,LOL
Wow, Honda must have greatly improved the Wing engine over the years. My Valk gets close to 50mpg with ethanol free gas and conservative throttle positions! With it's 6.4 gallon tank I go nearly 280mi before I begin thinking of getting gas

Last edited:
I very vaguely remember the S&S shenanigans. I had a newborn and toddler at the time, so not doing much riding! I do distinctly remember the motorcycle press at the time going batshit nuts trying to figure out the point of making the engine that fits nowhere with some very loosie goosey idea that it was for a forthcoming Indian relaunch with the second Indian iteration near death or having already died.

As a footnote; at 75MPH indicated and just about 3600 revs, my TC is reporting 36.5mpg post tune. I should have looked at the economy prior to the tune, but, that's a hard failure on my part!

Wow, Honda must have greatly improved the Wing engine over the years. My Valk gets close to 50mpg with ethanol free gas and conservative throttle positions! With it's 6.4 gallon tank I go nearly 280mi before I begin thinking of getting gas
Since I don't drink,I get my alcohol in my gasoline,🤡

I can do 50+ at 50🥱

I also don't drink and get my alcohol in gasoline...good luck finding ethanol free in Florida unless you get very, very lucky!! My '19 GSA is somewhere much higher in MPG at 75.. maybe low 40s? the tank is so big it doesn't seem to matter, I have to pull over for coffee and pee break way before fuel economy is an issue! Since the TC seems to have the best cruise economy around 75, actually I suspect its much lower at around 65, but I don't have a death wish on I95 (traffic flow hovers around 75 in city and much higher in-between) I burn up my tank around the same time its time to get off for a while anyway.

I also don't drink and get my alcohol in gasoline...good luck finding ethanol free in Florida unless you get very, very lucky!! My '19 GSA is somewhere much higher in MPG at 75.. maybe low 40s? the tank is so big it doesn't seem to matter, I have to pull over for coffee and pee break way before fuel economy is an issue! Since the TC seems to have the best cruise economy around 75, actually I suspect its much lower at around 65, but I don't have a death wish on I95 (traffic flow hovers around 75 in city and much higher in-between) I burn up my tank around the same time its time to get off for a while anyway.
Use this!!! Neutralize the *ucking poison!

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_160317.jpg
    IMG_20220420_160317.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
22 R18TC, bought in February or January, can't remember which... Bike stalled at idle, rough idled when warm, ran rich, rock mode was truly unpleasant at lights. Rode the bike past its first service, maybe 1.5k miles and then did the brentune. Firstly, as the bike is breaking in its beginning to run better or I'm just getting used to its quirks. However, to my mind in South Florida traffic and boring roads the bike was a pig prior to the tune. With the tune I put another 1.5k miles on and found that power delivery is smoother and more readily available. Throttle response is crisp and most importantly the handlebars aren't threatening to break my hand or wrist at every stop light in rock mode. Long distance highway cruising is better than it was prior to the tune as well, I seem to have just a little more passing power than I did before the tune which adds significantly more confidence in avoiding cars on the interstates and even more confidence avoiding anything on local roads! I took the bike on a 900 mile round trip to Savanah last weekend and other than some headwind air flow issues that I haven't solved yet, the bike performed admirably.

A word on the update software: it doesn't appear to like Win11, it will work after a few uninstall and reinstall cycles. But, its never quite happy about it. Likely not the software's fault as I think I saw it download .net 3.5 which is fairly ancient to run on.

As far as customer support: WOW! Uploaded the config file to Brentune Sunday morning and got the file back Sunday afternoon... who does that?!?
Your experience with windows 11 was similar to mine. Also, it wasn't just me that noticed the bike when at idle doesn't vibrate as much as it used to.

I have had more people stop and ask me about this bike than any other bike I have ever owned. Occasionally asked if it was a Harley. Not insulted in any way. Enjoyed my Harley but not as much as this.

No,Indian is not just another V-Twin and the Goldwing isn't just a Subaru.
Since we are off topic anyway,here is some expierence for me to share.

The R1800 is more like the Indian Thunderstroke than it is like the Honda.TQ not HP with low end grunt and pretty much done at 5500 rpms.
Both the 111(116) and R18 are air/oil cooled engines.That which means the heads actually carry oil pressure from a pump to the heads.The Indian carries 50/60 pounds at idle.Not sure what the R18 carries but probably around 50.
The Harley Davidson Vtwin is a splash system.Not bad but just what it is and been that way for manny moons.Btw,a oil cooler on a HD does not make the HD a oil cooled engine.A oil cooler cools the oil not the engine.Having a oil cooled engine is just that.The oil is pressurized to advance cooling kinda.

Here is a little history on the S&S designed Wedge and the Thunderstroke.Where it is believed the Thunderstroke grew from.

History:
I remember seeing the Wedge engine at the Laughlin River Run.If my mind serves me correctly it was 2002 or 03.The engine was a 56 degree Vtwin with 3 belt driven cams.The Thunderstroke uses oiled chains instead.The 3 cam design used the center cam for intake and the 2 end cams for exhaust.This allows the engine to keep a long stroke but keep engine height down.Back at the time I was interested in buying a X Wedge engine.Sadly,the folks at S&S said "The X Wedge won't fit in your Roadking Frame."WTF?
Crazy huh?Why would S&S build a engine that would not fit in a HD frame???Anyway,as the story goes, the idea was to build the engine 1st.Then build frame around the engine which came later.Funny,the engine was kept a secret under the code name "FRED"and of course the frame was to be called "WILMA".LOL,which S&S did build a couple frames, but did not to sell them.
I won't bore you with how BIG DOG ended up building a frame around this beautiful engine as you can do all the research you care to.Just thought I would share my personal expierence with any Bro that might be interested or that may have heard some rumors about how the 111:) came to fruition.

https://www.sscycle.com/docs/defaul...7-x-wedge-owners-manual-20160524.pdf?sfvrsn=4

My 116 only makes about 98hp at the rear wheel because of the the heads are designed to make TQ(125 tq @3000 and over 70hp at the rear wheel)
The engine is designed to have tq where a person rides yes, where it is ridden.
For comparison a good running twin cam makes around 50-60 hp @3000rpms.Funny folks get caught up around numbers,peak numbers.The real question is:How much throttle is needed to get the bike to excellerate or how many gears are needed to down shift to pass.The R18 was not made for Hp but for Tq.Hence a smaller boxer that makes more hp and less tq.
R Nine T:Engine: 1,170 cc air/oil-cooled 4-stroke flat twin ...
Max Torque: 86 lb-ft (116 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Engine Power: 110 Hp
I was on a major charity ride in the Milwaukee area about the time the X Wedge debuted. I guy had one in elongated retro track racer frame. That bike ripped and it sounded incredible.

I was on a major charity ride in the Milwaukee area about the time the X Wedge debuted. I guy had one in elongated retro track racer frame. That bike ripped and it sounded incredible.
Yeah,Great and thx MD for reminding me as I did not mention the sound.
When they started the Wedge I started reaching fo my checkbook.

As a footnote; at 75MPH indicated and just about 3600 revs, my TC is reporting 36.5mpg post tune. I should have looked at the economy prior to the tune, but, that's a hard failure on my part!
At WOT, you can actually see the fuel gauge slowly lower. 😎 But I knew mileage would decrease in advance of getting the tune.

Back