Bren Tuners: Let us hear what you think!

I wish I had a needle 😎
I've got four; one tell me how much money I'm going to spend, one to tell me how much the police will charge me based on my rate of spending, one to tell me my current rate of spending.......... and one that reads out about how much spending power I have based on no metric I'm aware of, but also comes equipped on Rolls Royce's... so, yeah.. you're not missing anything

Got a thousand miles on it with my tune and it still works well. I still don't like Rock mode, the throttle reminds me of the quarter turn throttles the squids install, it goes from zero to lots of throttle with a tiny movement. It makes it hard to ride smooth since it's nothing like Roll mode or any other throttle I use. I may actually try to remap the throttle in Rock it to make it more usable. My Triumph has ride modes and I keep it in Sport all the time.

On another note another user also had trouble finding the OBD port so here is a photo of me pointing at it for reference.
r18_plug.jpg

Got a thousand miles on it with my tune and it still works well. I still don't like Rock mode, the throttle reminds me of the quarter turn throttles the squids install, it goes from zero to lots of throttle with a tiny movement. It makes it hard to ride smooth since it's nothing like Roll mode or any other throttle I use. I may actually try to remap the throttle in Rock it to make it more usable. My Triumph has ride modes and I keep it in Sport all the time.

On another note another user also had trouble finding the OBD port so here is a photo of me pointing at it for reference.
View attachment 5182
Not all R18s have the port on the right.Seems Adrian R has it on the Left side of his R18C.
As far as modes.Rock is the only mode I use.With the sidecar it likes the extra power.
Friendly suggestion.Ride in the Rock mode for at least 1 tank of gas.Stop and turn the bike off and on a few times. Allowing the ecu to(cycle) make changes.The engine will get friendlier and you may find the throttle response better.
Good Day.TK

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all R18s have the port on the right.Seems Adrian R has it on the Left side of his R18C.
As far as modes.Rock is the only mode I use.With the sidecar it likes the extra power.
Friendly suggestion.Ride in the Rock mode for at least 1 tank of gas.Stop and turn the bike off and on a few times. Allowing the ecu to(cycle) make changes.The engine will get friendlier and you may find the throttle response better.
Good Day.TK
Yes, my comm port is indeed on the left side and very easy to access! I lucked out. Also, R18C is right. This bike changes it's personality after shutdown....especially if something has changed!

View attachment 5182
And here is the location as found on my Classic

Attachments

• 223E7281-4D2B-441A-8B71-1AE633AB6A35.jpeg
    223E7281-4D2B-441A-8B71-1AE633AB6A35.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Very interesting read, but do have questions:
is this only a flash tune tool?

could it also be used as a diag tool?
eg resettting service notifications or reading/correcting errors and messages from the ECU

also; is this available in the EU?

After Brentune are there still 3 ride modes? Does the new tune affect all three modes?
Sorry if this question has already been asked.

Very interesting read, but do have questions:
is this only a flash tune tool?

could it also be used as a diag tool?
eg resettting service notifications or reading/correcting errors and messages from the ECU

also; is this available in the EU?
As far as I am aware, it’s diagnostic abilities might be limited. I think you can only think of this as a way of tuning the vehicle across all three modes and then being able to remove that tune within a matter of minutes. Should there be developments in the tune, you will already have the tool and only need to pay for the program. Unfortunately the software is unique to each bike VIN number so you couldn’t for instance, borrow mine. If that were possible I would have lent mine to one or two subscribers on here with which I have had a fair bit of contact.

As far as I am aware, it’s diagnostic abilities might be limited. I think you can only think of this as a way of tuning the vehicle across all three modes and then being able to remove that tune within a matter of minutes. Should there be developments in the tune, you will already have the tool and only need to pay for the program. Unfortunately the software is unique to each bike VIN number so you couldn’t for instance, borrow mine. If that were possible I would have lent mine to one or two subscribers on here with which I have had a fair bit of contact.
Hi, thanks for the info... I guessed that much that the BrenTune is only a flash tool... but a good one, with novell approach in flashing without removing the ECU.
Did find a nice OBD2 based diag tool and an app that I can use to get at my ECU data end set/reset system/service stuff.

The app is the (German) MotoScan für BMW Motorräder (android only) and it connects over bluetooth to the BMW UniCarScan ODB2
more info can be found here... in Dutch ofcourse... sorry about that...

br
Ser

Hi, thanks for the info... I guessed that much that the BrenTune is only a flash tool... but a good one, with novell approach in flashing without removing the ECU.
Did find a nice OBD2 based diag tool and an app that I can use to get at my ECU data end set/reset system/service stuff.

The app is the (German) MotoScan für BMW Motorräder (android only) and it connects over bluetooth to the BMW UniCarScan ODB2
more info can be found here... in Dutch ofcourse... sorry about that...

br
Ser
GS-911 seems to be a pretty popular solution for BMW motorcycles.

BT Tuning:, I flashed my ECU results: I find the flash significantly changes the engine. The word "smooth" keeps coming to mind. Idle, much better, response and removing the factory limitations absolutely opens this engine to what it can really do. I only run in Rock mode, the only time I place in rain is when loading it on maintenance platform. The support and prompt response from BT Tuning was exemplary. Additionally, I installed Freedom exhaust about 3600 miles ago, the flash changed the sound a bit, even better, not louder, but again smoother. For me totally worth it.

I can only imagine......I think the bike is silky smooth pre-tune. Said I was going to leave this bike alone and not fiddle with it, but......................

Good Day.TK
Finally recieved the Brentuner (1 week from US to Australia, which is pretty good) - mine is the bagger version and the port is behind the left hand side cover in its own home-socket, so pretty easy to find.
Reading the bikes ECU & sending back to BT Moto was pretty straightforward following the feeding back from yourself & Cheshire - thanks guys !
Questionaire returned, now the wait for a return flash file - any idea how long it normally takes them to do it ? So looking forward to this.

I had to take a break after multiple attempts to access bikes info to download. I think I'll try again this weekend. BTW I was in on the initial discount offer and still unable to get it done. May have to get my daughter to come over and help me out!😭

Finally recieved the Brentuner (1 week from US to Australia, which is pretty good) - mine is the bagger version and the port is behind the left hand side cover in its own home-socket, so pretty easy to find.
Reading the bikes ECU & sending back to BT Moto was pretty straightforward following the feeding back from yourself & Cheshire - thanks guys !
Questionaire returned, now the wait for a return flash file - any idea how long it normally takes them to do it ? So looking forward to this.
Within 36 hours max.

Back