Brentune Results?

Hello All; New here. I just picked up a slightly used 2022 R18TC. Stock throttle response is pretty weak. On my old ride, which was a 2018 K1600B, I did the Brentune Stage1 upgrade..the one where you send your ECM off to them for re-flashing.. The results were very good. I see that Brentune has a handheld and I assume maps for the R18. I'm not so worried about doing the upgrade but I am interested in your folks opinions on the performance afterwards. Is it worth the $$? Thanks in advance! Joel

Hello All; New here. I just picked up a slightly used 2022 R18TC. Stock throttle response is pretty weak. On my old ride, which was a 2018 K1600B, I did the Brentune Stage1 upgrade..the one where you send your ECM off to them for re-flashing.. The results were very good. I see that Brentune has a handheld and I assume maps for the R18. I'm not so worried about doing the upgrade but I am interested in your folks opinions on the performance afterwards. Is it worth the $$? Thanks in advance! Joel
You have tried it in rock mode I take it?

You have tried it in rock mode I take it?
Yep, not bad, but it just strikes me that engine has more to give than we are seeing from the factory, most Beemers are that way. My K1600B was a dog until Brentune. I'm thinking that what we see in "rock" mode we should be getting in "roll"... For me, throttle response is the biggie. My old K12LT and RS had that nailed.

There is a mean flat spot in the throttle response between 3K-4K RPM with the R18 and it drove me nuts. The Brentune gets rid of it; I noticed the improvement immediately.

I had a 2012 K1600GTL that I bought new and rode daily and eventually sold for the R18TC. The Brentune doesn't turn the R18 into a rocket, but it sure makes the engine perform the way it should have from the factory.

Brentune is an improvement. Not massive (for me), but it definitely helps. One of the main reasons I did it is that I believe (maybe falsely, just my opinion) that it's better for the engine to operate at the correct air fuel ratio. Stock there was a hanging idle, and it seemed really lean. One great things about our bike is that it's constantly recalibrating A/F ratio based on the altitude and temperature. Some power commander products have one map for all the time. On a dirt bike, for example, when the air filter gets dirty it will start running rich.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Worth it for me.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I did purchase the upgrade..my next challenge is getting hold of a Windows computer (I'm a Mac guy). Since I'm not going attempt a dual boot system I'm a bit stuck for the time being.... More to follow....
Fwiw. I did the following and the bike is damn engaging to ride compared to stock

Removed fishtail baffles
Removed cats
DNA intake
Flapper delete
Brentune
Some of this is new to me... Could you elaborate a bit on the DNA Intake and Flapper delete? Also, How involved is getting the baffles out?.. I assume that gave it a louder sound...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I did purchase the upgrade..my next challenge is getting hold of a Windows computer (I'm a Mac guy). Since I'm not going attempt a dual boot system I'm a bit stuck for the time being.... More to follow....

Some of this is new to me... Could you elaborate a bit on the DNA Intake and Flapper delete? Also, How involved is getting the baffles out?.. I assume that gave it a louder sound...
Not to be a butt head, but you are better served by searching on this forum for your answers. You will learn lotso tidbits along the way.

I bought a new HP PC for the purpose. They are dirt cheap .

On your Mac ... use 'Bootcamp' it is built into your OS and works quite well ... or buy a cheap Android tablet ... just my $0.02 ;)

I would dearly love to hear what it sounds like after all of that!
I am in seattle

Video recordings of bike exhaust are quite relative, and differ depending on 100 different things.

If someone local with a stock systems wants to get hold of me we can do an A/b test of the sound and ride performance.

Not to be a butt head, but you are better served by searching on this forum for your answers. You will learn lotso tidbits along the way.

I bought a new HP PC for the purpose. They are dirt cheap .
Agree... Agree on the cheap windows machine too, it should get here today..

Back