Brentuning Complete: My experience doing so...

Adrian R

Okay, today after work I came home to see that Brentune had returned my bike's new tune file in basically one day...

I will write a short story as to how it all went down.

So I purchased the hand held controller last February shortly after taking delivery of my bike last January. I participated in the group purchase, and took advantage of the savings.

Thanks BT!

Due to the typical crappy Winter weather we get here, it took quite awhile to acquire enough miles on my bike to have the first service done. BT highly recommends you have the first service done on a new bike before attempting to perform a new tune. I followed their instructions and did just that.

Last Friday I had the first service done at my local dealer. Brought the bike home.

The next day I began the process of getting the bike tuned.

The very first thing you need to do is download BT's software/application from their website. Check out a couple of their videos instructing you how to do this, it does help.

I was able to download and install the software on my PC easily... however, I ran into a problem updating the software once on my computer. I spent several hours beating my head against the wall trying to get it updated. Finally my son came downstairs and asked what kind of problem I was having. I told him. He sat down, grabbed the hand controller, and plugged it into my PC via one of it's 3 USB ports. The software updated rapidly within minutes; DONE. That was it! W T F ! Like always, I tend to overthink things, and once again that problem of mine bit me in the arse. So, before you attempt to download the software on to your computer and update, PLUG IN THE HAND CONTROLLER FIRST.

Now that the software was installed, and updated successfully, I went out to my bike and began looking for the communication/OBD port. This took some time because I thought it was on the right side of the bike. Well it turns out it was on the left side of the bike just like Cheshire's Classic. After removing the side cover, I only had to remove two screws to pull back a plastic panel to gain access to the plug. Braindead.

I then plugged in the hand controller, and it immediately powered up. I had watched the instructional video a couple times just to be sure how to grab/download the bike's stock tune configuration so when I actually got to the bike it was very simple. The hand controller is very simple to operate, and following the menus is brain dead. The file was loaded quickly onto the hand controller. Went back to my computer, plugged in the controller once again to the PC's USB port, opened the BT software application, and then simply uploaded the file to my computer. Again, the controller and software is extremely simple/intuitive to use. Once uploaded, I simply saved the file to my desktop. Then I sent an email to BT with my bike's stock tune file as an attachment. Within 10hrs or less on a Saturday, I received a questionnaire. Sunday morning I watched their video on how to answer the questionnaire. Very, very simple. You basically reply to that email, cut and paste the questionnaire into your reply, and type in the answers. Very simple.

The next day which is today, as previously mentioned, I came home from work, opened my email program, and an email was there from BT with my new tune attached to the email. I simply then saved the file to my downloads. (Windows 10pro)

Back to the controller. I plugged it back into my PC, opened the application on my PC, and it immediately recognized the controller was plugged into the computer. I followed the simple instructions and downloaded the new file on to my controller.

Back to the bike with my controller in hand. I made sure the bike was plugged into a battery charger, and that the battery was fully charged. *Very important* I plugged the controller into the bike, and began reflashing the ECU. Watch the video on how to do this. It's very intuitive, but just to be sure that everything is correct. I followed the instructions on the controller which basically consisted of turning the bike's ignition on and off, and hitting the 'Okay' button on the controller multiple times. The whole process of reflashing took about 20 minutes.

That's it, DONE. I know this might sound like allot, but it's not..

Initial post tune ride observations:

The bike fired up immediately, and settled into a nice steady idle. It definitely sounds deeper and slightly louder... Throttle response in rock mode improved. Took it out for a spin, and you could tell right away the run is better. It is not a night and day difference, but the difference is there.... I am sure the more I ride the bike the better it will run. Turned it off, fired right back up...no starting issue..... I hit some back straight roads and wound her up to 125mph..bike was solid as hell... perhaps the most stable high speed cruiser I have ridden to date. I wasn't scared at all, the bike just breeds confidence. The windshield is perfect for me. and had ZERO turbulence, even at 125mph.

In the end it all was worth it. If your on the fence, go for it!

Attachments

• brentubebeamer.jpg
    brentubebeamer.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 46
Nice write up. It's great you finally got the first service and the tune sorted as she just keeps getting better and better as the miles add up!

🍻🍻

Okay, today after work I came home to see that Brentune had returned my bike's new tune file in basically one day...

I will write a short story as to how it all went down.

So I purchased the hand held controller last February shortly after taking delivery of my bike last January. I participated in the group purchase, and took advantage of the savings.

Thanks BT!

Due to the typical crappy Winter weather we get here, it took quite awhile to acquire enough miles on my bike to have the first service done. BT highly recommends you have the first service done on a new bike before attempting to perform a new tune. I followed their instructions and did just that.

Last Friday I had the first service done at my local dealer. Brought the bike home.

The next day I began the process of getting the bike tuned.

The very first thing you need to do is download BT's software/application from their website. Check out a couple of their videos instructing you how to do this, it does help.

I was able to download and install the software on my PC easily... however, I ran into a problem updating the software once on my computer. I spent several hours beating my head against the wall trying to get it updated. Finally my son came downstairs and asked what kind of problem I was having. I told him. He sat down, grabbed the hand controller, and plugged it into my PC via one of it's 3 USB ports. The software updated rapidly within minutes; DONE. That was it! W T F ! Like always, I tend to overthink things, and once again that problem of mine bit me in the arse. So, before you attempt to download the software on to your computer and update, PLUG IN THE HAND CONTROLLER FIRST.

Now that the software was installed, and updated successfully, I went out to my bike and began looking for the communication/OBD port. This took some time because I thought it was on the right side of the bike. Well it turns out it was on the left side of the bike just like Cheshire's Classic. After removing the side cover, I only had to remove two screws to pull back a plastic panel to gain access to the plug. Braindead.

I then plugged in the hand controller, and it immediately powered up. I had watched the instructional video a couple times just to be sure how to grab/download the bike's stock tune configuration so when I actually got to the bike it was very simple. The hand controller is very simple to operate, and following the menus is brain dead. The file was loaded quickly onto the hand controller. Went back to my computer, plugged in the controller once again to the PC's USB port, opened the BT software application, and then simply uploaded the file to my computer. Again, the controller and software is extremely simple/intuitive to use. Once uploaded, I simply saved the file to my desktop. Then I sent an email to BT with my bike's stock tune file as an attachment. Within 10hrs or less on a Saturday, I received a questionnaire. Sunday morning I watched their video on how to answer the questionnaire. Very, very simple. You basically reply to that email, cut and paste the questionnaire into your reply, and type in the answers. Very simple.

The next day which is today, as previously mentioned, I came home from work, opened my email program, and an email was there from BT with my new tune attached to the email. I simply then saved the file to my downloads. (Windows 10pro)

Back to the controller. I plugged it back into my PC, opened the application on my PC, and it immediately recognized the controller was plugged into the computer. I followed the simple instructions and downloaded the new file on to my controller.

Back to the bike with my controller in hand. I made sure the bike was plugged into a battery charger, and that the battery was fully charged. *Very important* I plugged the controller into the bike, and began reflashing the ECU. Watch the video on how to do this. It's very intuitive, but just to be sure that everything is correct. I followed the instructions on the controller which basically consisted of turning the bike's ignition on and off, and hitting the 'Okay' button on the controller multiple times. The whole process of reflashing took about 20 minutes.

That's it, DONE. I know this might sound like allot, but it's not..

Initial post tune ride observations:

The bike fired up immediately, and settled into a nice steady idle. It definitely sounds deeper and slightly louder... Throttle response in rock mode improved. Took it out for a spin, and you could tell right away the run is better. It is not a night and day difference, but the difference is there.... I am sure the more I ride the bike the better it will run. Turned it off, fired right back up...no starting issue..... I hit some back straight roads and wound her up to 125mph..bike was solid as hell... perhaps the most stable high speed cruiser I have ridden to date. I wasn't scared at all, the bike just breeds confidence. The windshield is perfect for me. and had ZERO turbulence, even at 125mph.

In the end it all was worth it. If your on the fence, go for it!
Agree with all you have written. Additionally, last week I did a five hour ride on the bike split into 2 x 2.5 hour sessions with an hours break in between. I am convinced the bike is less vibey as my fingers and hands remained pain free at the end of the day. Wish I could say the same for other parts of my anatomy!

Thanks, I am bumping up next to 50mpg and I am grandpa age anyway so I'm going to leave it stock. I use to go fast, just a few years ago I had a Yammy R1000 and I sold it before I killed myself or went broke paying tickets LoL
But it runs better all the way around! Less chance of your exhaust bluing...as it doesn't run too lean.

Thank you so much Adrian for this write up! ... very comprehensive and you got me convinced. I do have one question ... can this controller be used to reset Service/trouble lights? I was about to invest in a 911 but if this one can do it all I much rather go for that .. considering my BMW dealer went 'indi' and the nearest OEM dealer is now 200 miles away ...

I saw a dyne sheet that shows a 4HP gain over stock.
That's an expensive 4HP.
Not sure how an engine tune makes a bike more stable at high speeds but Ill take your word on it.
Im sure the tune improves the overall experience but is it worth 900 bucks?
I have a Rocket 3 where the BT tune gives you 25hp and and removes a bunch of nannies. Big difference.
A lot of the bike guys use TUNEECU which is much more cost effective and yields the same results.
Are there any other options for tuning our bikes other than BT?

Im sure there is a difference, but at 900 bucks?
idk

Thank you so much Adrian for this write up! ... very comprehensive and you got me convinced. I do have one question ... can this controller be used to reset Service/trouble lights? I was about to invest in a 911 but if this one can do it all I much rather go for that .. considering my BMW dealer went 'indi' and the nearest OEM dealer is now 200 miles away ...
Unfortunately no. Sucks, I know!

I saw a dyne sheet that shows a 4HP gain over stock.
That's an expensive 4HP.

Go back and look at the dyno sheet in the 3k-4k rpm range. The increase there is a lot more than 4 HP and TQ right in the range where it is needed. Just getting rid of that annoying dip in performance in that rpm range was worth the cost to me.

Go back and look at the dyno sheet in the 3k-4k rpm range. The increase there is a lot more than 4 HP and TQ right in the range where it is needed. Just getting rid of that annoying dip in performance in that rpm range was worth the cost to me.
The bike just runs better all the way around...Plus, the DNA stage 2 upgrade adds even more. My 18 just rips with 93 octane ethanol free fuel...

Back