Burned cover on pipes!

Ischa

Hello everybody,

I've made a stupid mistake.
To cover up my motorcycle i use a cover from DS Covers.
In their description there is mentioned that it can withstand up to 300 degrees celsius.
So apparently the piped that come out of the cylinders get more hot than that.

Now I've discovered holes in the cover.
And from where the material originated inside those holes is now burnt onto the pipes!
I seems to be stuck on there really badly (see picture).
Does anyone know a proven method i could use te remove this debris?

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_122618.jpg
    IMG_20230914_122618.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
I found this video. I have never tried this myself but I can see the principle.

Maybe after removing the stains a nice metal polish applied by hand won’t go amiss?
Good luck and keep us posted.

Hello everybody,

I've made a stupid mistake.
To cover up my motorcycle i use a cover from DS Covers.
In their description there is mentioned that it can withstand up to 300 degrees celsius.
So apparently the piped that come out of the cylinders get more hot than that.

Now I've discovered holes in the cover.
And from where the material originated inside those holes is now burnt onto the pipes!
I seems to be stuck on there really badly (see picture).
Does anyone know a proven method i could use te remove this debris?
Don’t be tempted to use anything with an abrasive quality to it, you‘ll mark up your chrome with swirl marks and never get them out. So go easy with metal polish, double check first exactly what’s in it. Ive had excellent results with glass cleaner and if it’s really stubborn methylated spirits on a soft clean rag. Be prepared to give it some time and I’ve no doubt you’ll get rid of it all. Don’t rush the job.

I used oven cleaner in the past before ... make darn sure that it doesn't get on anything aluminum ... it turns it way dark and discolored ... permanently ... ask me how I know :LOL:

Hi , well my friend i done the same myself , if you use very fine wire wool it will remove the debri and not damage the chrome surface . I never cover my bike now after a ride out always cover it the next day .

Hello, i had same problem, i just put on the cover to fast after a ride, it was late and i did not want it to be unprotected, it takes a couple of hours before it is save to put on the cover.
I cleaned it with Glass/Chrome cleaner from Oa. Worked very good.
I would never use anything abrasive on chrome like steelwool or even some kind of polish...
Chrome needs to be treated with the utmost respect just like your windshield...

Back