Carbon Filter Delete

Hi Folks,
Any of you tried removing the carbon filter from the left side of the bike? It is just ahead of the rear wheel and serves no real purpose as it is mandated only in America to catch the rare gas fumes that escape the bike in an overfill or fall. I have successfully deleted the device from my R9T and my R1200R but they are both 5 years old and no problem to just remove the canister and plug the drain tube that feeds into it. There was never a mechanical issue or electrical fault but with a 2021 BMW there might be a difference. I think think the European models look cleaner without the canister and removal certainly cleaned up the appearance of my bikes, not to mention making them lighter. Thanks in advance.

The canister is the clunky thing on the left behind the brake caliper. Part #16 13 7 727 387.

Attachments

• Canister.JPG
    Canister.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Can you show a pic to allow us to see the difference with euro models ?

This is what we have in Europe
The problem is the plastic bottom fender is the same for all countries; it is cut, and for us, do not provide the mud protection the canister does (n)

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_175738.jpg
    IMG_20210309_175738.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Good points. I will try to remove the filter since I also don't ride in the mud with my R18. Just don't tell the authorities in Kalifornia that I am ditching the carbon filter and violating the EPA rules like our cows and horses do...

" Just don't tell the authorities in Kalifornia that I am ditching the carbon filter and violating the EPA rules like our cows and horses do..."

Everything can be subject to a deal ....

:ROFLMAO:

Of all the mods and tweaks I've read about here, I gotta say, this is the most silly. What are the benefits of removal? You claim a "cleaner" look. I'd argue that it's conspicuous absence would look worse; like something was supposed to be there but ain't. And I guarantee you, not one single non-R18 owner you'll ever meet will notice that it's gone. They may notice the fuel smell around your brand new $20k BMW though, because the canister you removed absorbs and recirculates gas fumes for better fuel economy and to decrease emissions. It's not just for overfills and falls. You also claim that removal helps with weight. Um, doc, the R18 weighs 761 pounds! It's BMI is 232! What's the canister weigh? 8 oz? Removal for weight-savings is laughable.
From your posts I'm getting the impression that part of the reasoning behind removal is political. Great. Be political, wonderful. But purposefully deleting something that is meant to mitigate emissions and help with fuel economy to make a political point is just weird.

So sorry to have stepped on a few snowflakes. I will keep most of my mod’s to myself as I continue to refine my R18 by making it faster, leaner and more personalized, which is what I thought mutter BMW originally intended for us with our R9T‘s and now the R18. I guess having a sense of humor informed by the political insanity in my state goes beyond the pale, but you are right about my Berlin Babe’s BMI—it may actually have increased a bit with my decision to retain the carbon canister housing (it now holds extra mags for my Glock). I also evicted the cats that lived under the motor, but please don’t tell the PETA folks. In case you are wondering, the pillion seat makes a perfect CCW pouch and was already harder than I ever was back in the day.

To sum up: the thing you said doesn’t do anything actually does, the reasons you gave for removing it actually aren’t, and anyone who contradicts you is a snowflake. Well, this snowflake would love to see some photos of your work. How did you confirm that the temperature at the canister wouldn’t exceed 150 degrees?

To sum up: the thing you said doesn’t do anything actually does, the reasons you gave for removing it actually aren’t, and anyone who contradicts you is a snowflake. Well, this snowflake would love to see some photos of your work. How did you confirm that the temperature at the canister wouldn’t exceed 150 degrees?
Details, details, details. Watch out he gotta gun!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Good points. I will try to remove the filter since I also don't ride in the mud with my R18. Just don't tell the authorities in Kalifornia that I am ditching the carbon filter and violating the EPA rules like our cows and horses do...
I agree that the carbon canister is kinda ugly and it wouldn't break my cold, black, Jarhead heart to see it gone. But it's a low priority for me, at this time. Gutting the cats though... now that concept has appeal. It would likely boost power and may give the exhaust note a bit more OOMPH. But the R18 has O2 sensors at both ends of both cats, so I fear that the R18 will throw fault codes that would be a PITA to deal with. I suspect that that is why we're only seeing replacement mufflers being developed by the aftermarket, as opposed to complete exhaust systems.

Of all the mods and tweaks I've read about here, I gotta say, this is the most silly. What are the benefits of removal? You claim a "cleaner" look. I'd argue that it's conspicuous absence would look worse; like something was supposed to be there but ain't. And I guarantee you, not one single non-R18 owner you'll ever meet will notice that it's gone. They may notice the fuel smell around your brand new $20k BMW though, because the canister you removed absorbs and recirculates gas fumes for better fuel economy and to decrease emissions. It's not just for overfills and falls. You also claim that removal helps with weight. Um, doc, the R18 weighs 761 pounds! It's BMI is 232! What's the canister weigh? 8 oz? Removal for weight-savings is laughable.
From your posts I'm getting the impression that part of the reasoning behind removal is political. Great. Be political, wonderful. But purposefully deleting something that is meant to mitigate emissions and help with fuel economy to make a political point is just weird.
Now boys....

All amusing.
You can remove the carbon filter if you want, but what is gained is questionable.

For the cats? No gain there either. I did it on my R1100RT. I am a welder, the exhaust is all stainless. After surgically removing the cat, the bike ran no better and sounded worse.

For the newer bikes, 02 sensors after the cat monitor the way the cat is working, so its hard to fool it.

I doubt you would gain one horse power.

I am a life long mechanic. This stuff works.

Its your bike, do as you wish.
David

Thanks David. You are just the guy I wanted to hear from about the cats. I deleted them from my R9T and my AMG Diavel by just bolting on aftermarket headers and exhausts. The O2 sensors are intact and throw no faults, but the sound is dramatically improved and their performance seem better but I've yet to put them on the dyno for testing. Most report a maximum 3% increase in horsepower so I doubt that this goal is enough to make many of us folks take the risk of getting busted or having a fault show up on the dash. I think there are aftermarket devices that compensate for the the signal generated from the down stream O2 sensor that reports the same fuel/air ratio as the first. A few folks have claimed increased fuel economy from de-catting their bikes but that is not my goal. I'd just like to preserve the looks of the fishtail exhaust but get a better sound. LMK what you think for find.
For what it's worth, I think the cat's live in a very small length of stainless steel pipe that is easily accessible by removing the decorative piece connecting the headers to the actual muffler. At least one member has operated on the muffler with good results but then that's what the aftermarket guys at Remus and Vance&Hines are selling with their straight pipes.

Back