Choices for a motorcycle cover

Slotheadslim

Hi,

I had a BMW F800ST for a number of years and I'm a big fan of the BMW Motorrad branded form fitting cover I had for it. I recently sold it to purchase an R18 Classic but I don't see any BMW specific covers for this bike. I pick up my R18 Classic next week and the dealer is offering me a discount on accessories so if I'm going to buy a cover from them it shoud be soon. The dealer has a few suggestions such as one of the BMW K1600 covers for it but I've never seen one on the R18 Classic and I'm thinking with the large cylinders using this other cover is a trade off at best. I'd really like to hear what you are using for a cover (BMW or other choices) and if you have any pictures of the cover on your bike all the better.

Thanks,

Tom

"the dealer is offering me a discount on accessories so if I'm going to buy a cover from them it shoud be soon."
What accessories would that be, given the relative scarcity of actual R18 accessories?
I would ask to see the physical accessories, not a coloring book with pictures and a promise of check is in the mail.
"That particular item is on Backorder"?

Last edited:
Indoor or outdoor cover?

If indoor, I bought this

for my Guzzi a few years back. It's a pretty standard stretchy cover. Seems to be nice quality. No frills and no complaints either. I just tried it on the R18 and she's a bit too long for it. Got it around the jugs and my DK engine guards fine but the tail lights aren't loving the squeeze. I can make it work but not ideal. There's a "large" version of the same cover which would likely fit nicely.

/don't tell her she's a large.
//let's call it tall :)

Last edited:
Indoor or outdoor cover?

If indoor, I bought this

for my Guzzi a few years back. It's a pretty standard stretchy cover. Seems to be nice quality. No frills and no complaints either. I just tried it on the R18 and she's a bit too long for it. Got it around the jugs and my DK engine guards fine but the tail lights aren't loving the squeeze. I can make it work but not ideal. There's a "large" version of the same cover which would likely fit nicely.

/don't tell her she's a large.
//let's call it tall :)
My point being that if you are looking for BMW specific accessories for the R18 from BMW, Good Luck

TodkaVonic recommended this cover and I purchased it for indoor storage. It is excellent highly recommend it.

TodkaVonic recommended this cover and I purchased it for indoor storage. It is excellent highly recommend it.
Oh yeah! And $30 bucks less than the one on Amazon!

Geez, you're going to pay $$$$ for a BMW logo? Since my motorcycles are garaged, I buy a the least expensive motorcycle that serves to keep the dust off mine....

Geez, you're going to pay $$$$ for a BMW logo? Since my motorcycles are garaged, I buy a the least expensive motorcycle that serves to keep the dust off mine....
At least with my old F800ST the BMW cover was perfectly form fitting with tie downs to keep the cover tight over the bike which was really needed since the bike was in a parking garage that sometimes experienced high winds and the side basg were an unusual shape. The BMW cover wasn't that much more expensive, was all weather and did a great job. If BMW does come out with a high quality cover that fits the R18 Classic I'd consider purchasing it.

With the recommendations above I ended up purchasing an indoor cover from carcoversfactory.com and we'll see how it goes. My R18 will be in my own garage (not an open parking garage) so the high amount of form fitting isn't as necessary as what I needed before.

Tom

At least with my old F800ST the BMW cover was perfectly form fitting with tie downs to keep the cover tight over the bike which was really needed since the bike was in a parking garage that sometimes experienced high winds and the side basg were an unusual shape. The BMW cover wasn't that much more expensive, was all weather and did a great job. If BMW does come out with a high quality cover that fits the R18 Classic I'd consider purchasing it.

With the recommendations above I ended up purchasing an indoor cover from carcoversfactory.com and we'll see how it goes. My R18 will be in my own garage (not an open parking garage) so the high amount of form fitting isn't as necessary as what I needed before.

Tom
Please let us know what you think off the covered after it gets delivered to you

I received the deluxe inside cover a few days ago and picked up my new R18 Classic from the dealer yesterday. Attached are a few pictures. The cover is super soft inside and stretchy. It fit fine over the windscreen and saddlebags. It has a “Front” tag inside for orientation but the shape is generic so I found it a little difficult to put on the first time. I think after a few times it will be easier since I’m more familiar with the shape now.

The only inconvenient thing about this cover is that I wouldn’t trust the soft inside against pipes if they are hot at all. I might be wrong and maybe someone else can comment how heat resistant it is? My old cover for my previous bike had strips near the pipes that were insulated so I could throw it on 5 minutes after I got home. With this cover I waited a few hours before I felt comfortable putting it on.

Tom

C798F608-EE7D-4165-A1E9-28D9E4B14C3F.jpeg902F6796-1A7B-462C-A99B-D37E0A4EF944.jpegDCA9784E-2605-4679-8541-56600940C5B4.jpeg6C1B54AF-9BEB-4297-B95A-1EA4A75BC926.jpeg7D4FD09C-49DB-4A52-85C7-207BC6B0BDC5.jpeg

Very nice review of the cover same one I have and I think it’s awesome. I never put a cover on a hot bike to avoid condensation that may result. Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Congratulations, enjoy the bike.

Hi,

I had a BMW F800ST for a number of years and I'm a big fan of the BMW Motorrad branded form fitting cover I had for it. I recently sold it to purchase an R18 Classic but I don't see any BMW specific covers for this bike. I pick up my R18 Classic next week and the dealer is offering me a discount on accessories so if I'm going to buy a cover from them it shoud be soon. The dealer has a few suggestions such as one of the BMW K1600 covers for it but I've never seen one on the R18 Classic and I'm thinking with the large cylinders using this other cover is a trade off at best. I'd really like to hear what you are using for a cover (BMW or other choices) and if you have any pictures of the cover on your bike all the better.

Thanks,

Tom
Bro, here: https://www.carcoversfactory.com/mo...th-windshield-and-saddle-bags-premium-edition

From the customer service chat when I asked if they were waterproof: "Premium edition is for outdoor cover that is 100% waterproof", and then asked if they had a way to secure them to the bike ie straps (you know, for the windy days): "Our Covers comes with an elastic hem which helps to cover the entire bike completely. Also, our covers come with a lock and key cable which keep the covers intact in case of any heavy wind. We have straps as well on the covers which you can buckle up."
I just orderer one for my Classic

I see covers by Dowco online, and they have an XXL and an XXXL version. Wonder which size I should get? Their application charts haven't been updated for late model BMW

Back