Classic bag on a base R18?

Bwana

Hello.

I’m picking up a R18 FE on Friday. Talking with service it looks like the Classic bag mounts will not fit on a base R18. Has anyone had luck doing this? Thanks in advance.

My bike has the V&H pipes, so no fishtails. It sounds like the mount points for the bag frames are the same between the bikes then?

So i am assuming you could fit it then, as you have the vance and hines exhaust, the technician that told you it wouldnt work, did he know you had V&H rather than fish tails

My bike has the V&H pipes, so no fishtails. It sounds like the mount points for the bag frames are the same between the bikes then?
The Classic bags have 3 connection points on each side for mounting. The top two screws and a pressure fitting into the black support rail near the exhaust. The Classic & Fairing bikes use the straight pipes. The fishtail exhaust is too tall to work with the Classic bags. While the V&H exhaust is more similar to the straight pipes of the Classic & Fairing bikes if you look closely, you'll notice it has a slight upward facing layout. Look closely at the relative position of the Classic exhaust to the rear hub vs the V&H and you'll see the V&H is higher up. This may prevent the classic bags from working with the V&H pipes.

The exhaust mount which is attached to the main frame of the bike is different between the R18 and R18 Classic. The parts cost about £500 each side when I was considering changing the fishtails for the V&H pipes made for the Classic (which are round rather than tapered). I think you’re out of luck on this I’m afraid or going to be in for an expensive exercise of changing parts.

Back