clutch thunking

Picked up a 2022 r18 from dealership last weekend with 10 miles on it. (it was a demo model) On the way home i noticed a thunk coming from somewhere when i was decelerating and rolling up to a stop sign. Noticed that it only happens when clutch is engaged and can feel it thru the lever. Was out putting a rack on it this morning and decided to start it now i notice that it thunks when starting (have to hold clutch in when starting) and thunks when turning off the engine but only if holding the clutch in when turning off. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

I must admit, I never heard of it. Take it straight back to the shop and get them to have a look at it and fix it. It certainly should not be making any notices when applying the clutch. Deceleration do make the normal engine breaking noises but it is more like a whining, nothing more.
Hope you get it sorted.

Picked up a 2022 r18 from dealership last weekend with 10 miles on it. (it was a demo model) On the way home i noticed a thunk coming from somewhere when i was decelerating and rolling up to a stop sign. Noticed that it only happens when clutch is engaged and can feel it thru the lever. Was out putting a rack on it this morning and decided to start it now i notice that it thunks when starting (have to hold clutch in when starting) and thunks when turning off the engine but only if holding the clutch in when turning off. Anybody have any idea what this could be?
Do not worry about that, my TC did that for the first +/- 300Km, the tech from Bmw advised me when i pick up the bike brand new, after that no more thung in the clutch lever

Just got back from trailering it to the Bmw shop I bought it from and was told basically the same thing. Made the service guy come out in the rain to feel it himself to make sure it was ok. Better safe then sorry. Thanks for your replies.

Similar experience on my end. It was gone within the first 200 or so miles. Only really noticed it when I was first getting on it cold or doing slow 1st gear maneuvers. I figured it was just a bit of new bike parts just going through the initial break in process.

Only annoying thing that hasn't gone away is the little bit of rattling (for lack of a better term) when in neutral, at idle, not touching the clutch. Ive been reassured that it is just a "thing" they do. Kinda new to owning shaft driven bikes and their unique tendencies. I'm rarely sitting in neutral so I dont think about it much.

2200ish miles in and the transmission only seems to be getting better and smoother and crisper.

I know that our bikes have the fancy "slipper clutch" which is supposed to prevent rear wheel skidding if we downshift too rapidly from speed to 1'st. It basically loosens up on the clutch a bit in those situations.

I've know not to let go of the clutch until the bike is fully stopped (remember MSF class???), but for those riders who don't, BMW built in some nanny protections.

Mike

I test rode a white and silver R 18 Classic at West Valley Cycle BMW that did this. Moreso in Rock mode than Roll mode. The clutch lever pulsated when pulled in. I don't think it's normal, the 2022 R18 B I test rode at Sturgis for 23 miles did nothing of the sort... IMHO, there may be a production run of bad or warped/overheated dual mass flywheels on some of these that are getting through. I am positive it will at some point wreck the slave cylinder, the master cylinder and the crimps ofixed n the hose line.

Take your bike back and get it warrantied/ fixed, it's not right, it's not normal.

Mine did the same thing when I rode it off the lot and it goes away after a couple of hundred miles. The other thing you might be wondering about is the rattling when stopped and in Neutral. That is also normal and it's because the bike has a dry clutch. That noise will not go away.

Would be interesting to know if there is a common factor between all that bikes that makes this thunking and rattling noises at neutral, like model (although we all share the same engine) year of manufacture etc.
Mine is a Bagger built in mid 2022 and does not make any of the noises mentioned or rattlings apart from the normal noises the engine does at idle whilst at a traffic light in neutral.
I personally do not consider these noises mentioned to be normal and will definitely insist on the dealer to check the bike thoroughly, but that is me.

Would be interesting to know if there is a common factor between all that bikes that makes this thunking and rattling noises at neutral, like model (although we all share the same engine) year of manufacture etc.
Mine is a Bagger built in mid 2022 and does not make any of the noises mentioned or rattlings apart from the normal noises the engine does at idle whilst at a traffic light in neutral.
I personally do not consider these noises mentioned to be normal and will definitely insist on the dealer to check the bike thoroughly, but that is me.
I am 100% positive your bike makes the rattling noise, it's the design. All dry clutch motorcycles make that noise, some louder than others. The clutches on Ducati bikes are really noisy.

This is what I would do. Next week when I am back at home I will start the engine and make a short video and upload it here. You guys can then ping point the noises you are referring to by referring to the seconds or minute on the video. This is my first dry clutch bike and all the noises I hear do not sound out of the ordinary to me, hence I am saying I don’t believe mine makes the noises and rattling some of you are referring to.

Back