Cold Start Issue Poll

Have you experienced issues with your R18 starting when cold? (Doesn't start on first attempt)

• I have not had any issues.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I had an issue starting on the first attempt, but it only lasted a few months and problem went away.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • My R18 recently started having this issue.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • My R18 has been having this issue for over six months.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • My R18 has been having this issue for over a year

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

51rhC

Site Supporter
I wanted to get an idea of how many owners are experiencing some of the commonly mentioned issues with the R18. Please take the time to vote whether you have the issue or not. The poll does allow you to change your vote at any point, so please update your entry if your status changes.

Mine had acted up once just yesterday after sitting in the garage for 2 days. Was really odd.

Also noticed on cold starts my left cylinder lifters seem to stick and cause a loud clacking sound. Goes away once the engine oil is up to temp and given a good rev on the open road. I hope it’s nothing serious? Hoping that running some liquid moly or Motul would remedy this in the future

Mine does it every so often maybe 1 out of 20 times ... but a second push of the button and she fires right up without hesitation.

Asides the weird anomalies, performance is unaffected so I feel all is well. The personality of this engine I’m still trying to get comfortable with.

I have both an FE and a TC. They both occasionally fail to start first try. I even had a single occurrence when my FE would not start after multiple tries when riding on a 90 degree day. 🤷‍♂️ Another thing I have noticed and am wondering if other folks are experiencing is the bike doesn’t seem to have a “high idle” on cold start up?

I have both an FE and a TC. They both occasionally fail to start first try. I even had a single occurrence when my FE would not start after multiple tries when riding on a 90 degree day. 🤷‍♂️ Another thing I have noticed and am wondering if other folks are experiencing is the bike doesn’t seem to have a “high idle” on cold start up?
Mine jumps to 1250-1300 then slows to around 1000 for 2 minutes after a cold start. After that it seems to hang around the usual idle of 900ish

Same here ... also in the first 30 seconds or so i can smell a very faint odor of unburned fuel ... my best guess is that this is the electronic version of a 'choke' ... longer injection duration ( richer mix) combined with higher idle until the engine temp comes into the lower end of the operating temperature, then gradually 'leaning' out to spec and dropping the idle ... just a guess but that is what I would do if I could program the parameters for that ECU ;)

Mine had acted up once just yesterday after sitting in the garage for 2 days. Was really odd.

Also noticed on cold starts my left cylinder lifters seem to stick and cause a loud clacking sound. Goes away once the engine oil is up to temp and given a good rev on the open road. I hope it’s nothing serious? Hoping that running some liquid moly or Motul would remedy this in the future
All air cooled engines will make mechanical noises till everything and all different metals heat up to same temperature I would assess all noises with engine at running temperature

If you had a GS-911 or Motoscan all you have to do is reset the adaption of the fuel mixer... but yes, common issue the fuel mixture values somehow corrupts itself.
Just got the Motoscan , changed the oil and filter, reset the mileage and time, cleared the service light and fixed the start problem. Thanks for the post and information, that not starting the first time was irritating!

If you had a GS-911 or Motoscan all you have to do is reset the adaption of the fuel mixer... but yes, common issue the fuel mixture values somehow corrupts itself.
Just in the event that the engine won’t start or as a preventative measure? In other words does this “fix” the issue and keep it from happening or is this just a solution in the event that this issue presents itself? Thanks for the information.

Can you buy this in uk
You probably can, you will need the OBD Link MX+, that's about $125.00 from Amazon but the Link won't work on a motorcycle with the MotoscanPro . that's a $27.00 App for the Android. It's a bit of a hassle to get started but it's self-explanatory and it beats paying the dealer to clear faults.

Please explain ... I plug in my GS911 and go to the adaptive value page and hit reset for the fuel mix value ... and it re-learns itself or is there a procedure that I have to follow ... sorry this is very new to me :)

Back