• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

bike compare (1).jpg
In this competition, high score is 5.
(The R18TC is minus the topbox)

a) Wind Protection. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The R18TC has a superb fairing. The RG114 has a frame mounted fairing 3 ft away.

b) Suspension. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The R18TC computer control is spot on. The RG114 is a bit stiff. Manual adjust is under seat.

c) Stock Seat. BMW = 3, HD = 5
The pocket on the RG114 is perfect. The R18TC has no fill in the front crotch area.

d) Saddle Bag Quality & Security. BMW = 5, HD = 3
R18TC has elegant open and close. The system lock on the R18 is not available on the RG114.

e) Saddle Bag Capacity. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The RG114 has "stretch bags" that wrap around the muffler pipe.

f) Ride Ergonomics. HD = 5, BMW = 4
I removed the stock floor boards on the R18TC and replaced with 10" feet forward boards.
(BMW could easily manufacture a longer board as there is plenty of room. My boards reach 4 inches further)

g) Bike Info and Ride Data. BMW = 5, HD = 2
The screen on the R18TC is extraordinary in providing bike data. The RG114 provides time.

h) Bike Feel at 70 mph. BMW = 5, HD = 5
At 2,500 rpm in 6th, R18TC is silky smooth. At 2,600 rpm in 6th, RG114 is silky smooth.

i) Bike Feel at 80 mph. HD = 4, BMW = 3
The RG114 has a slight but noticeable bike buzz. The R18TC gives a foot massage.

j) Ease of Shifting. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The toe shift lever peg on the R18TC could be a bit longer to prevent a missed shift.
This evaluation is more about the location and length of levers rather than the transmission.

k) Pulling Power at 60mph. BMW = 5. HD = 5
Both bikes have smooth and immediate pulling without engine chatter. (R18TC in Rock Mode)

l) Overall Optics and Beauty. BMW = 5, HD = 4
Nothing needs to be said here.

m) Miles per Gallon. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The RG114 gets 45/46. The R18TC gets 42/43. (this may change after break-in)

n) Price New. BMW = 5, HD = 3
The R18TC was $23.7k. The RG114 was $30k

o) Sound System. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The Marshall system can really crank it. The RG114 special has improved sound over RG107

AND THE WINNER IS: R18TC = 67, RG114 = 63

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 6839
In this competition, high score is 5.
(The R18TC is minus the topbox)

a) Wind Protection. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The R18TC has a superb fairing. The RG114 has a frame mounted fairing 3 ft away.

b) Suspension. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The R18TC computer control is spot on. The RG114 is a bit stiff. Manual adjust is under seat.

c) Stock Seat. BMW = 3, HD = 5
The pocket on the RG114 is perfect. The R18TC has no fill in the front crotch area.

d) Saddle Bag Quality & Security. BMW = 5, HD = 3
R18TC has elegant open and close. The system lock on the R18 is not available on the RG114.

e) Saddle Bag Capacity. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The RG114 has "stretch bags" that wrap around the muffler pipe.

f) Ride Ergonomics. HD = 5, BMW = 4
I removed the stock floor boards on the R18TC and replaced with 10" feet forward boards.
(BMW could easily manufacture a longer board as there is plenty of room. My boards reach 4 inches further)

g) Bike Info and Ride Data. BMW = 5, HD = 2
The screen on the R18TC is extraordinary in providing bike data. The RG114 provides time.

h) Bike Feel at 70 mph. BMW = 5, HD = 5
At 2,500 rpm in 6th, R18TC is silky smooth. At 2,600 rpm in 6th, RG114 is silky smooth.

i) Bike Feel at 80 mph. HD = 4, BMW = 3
The RG114 has a slight but noticeable bike buzz. The R18TC gives a foot massage.

j) Ease of Shifting. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The toe shift lever peg on the R18TC could be a bit longer to prevent a missed shift.
This evaluation is more about the location and length of levers rather than the transmission.

k) Pulling Power at 60mph. BMW = 5. HD = 5
Both bikes have smooth and immediate pulling without engine chatter. (R18TC in Rock Mode)

l) Overall Optics and Beauty. BMW = 5, HD = 4
Nothing needs to be said here.

m) Miles per Gallon. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The RG114 gets 45/46. The R18TC gets 42/43. (this may change after break-in)

AND THE WINNER IS: R18TC = 57, RG114 = 56
WOW! Harley-Davidson makes a great Bike,did not know that they have come along this well.
Funny how folks talk smack about HDs but seem to compare other brands with them.
I do like the self adjusting valves and maintenance intervals :cool:

I think CycleWorld did a great side-by-side "Bagger" comparison of the HD Street Glide, Indian and the R18 B; there's a YouTube video out there.

I looked at the HD Street Glide ST and the Road Glide ST before pulling the trigger on the R18 B; I've ridden the early model Street & Road Glides out West over a four day National Park tour with friends. Looked both bikes, radio, wind... What's there not to enjoy..

They're all good bikes, I guess the R18 scored higher with me, dollar-for-dollar / pound-for-pound; HD simply wouldn't move price wise, which made me take a closer look at the R18 B.

4.7" of suspension travel, adaptive cruise control, remote lockable cases, REVERSE, ABS, amazing sound system, 10" display screen and a shit ton of chrome against a beautifully painted black bike.. besides, I wanted to do something different than what my buddies ride..

I don't keep up with the hd engine lines. Know they came out with the M8 which I believe was a game changer. Can't recall what cc, or if the 110? was smoother then the 114?.

Know they offered, I think, just oil cooling as well as option for oil and water cooling. Throttle to shut down rear jug at traffic light, rear fan to push heat down off rear jug.

Believe the pretty near perfected the v-twin at this point in time...at last for a Harley (well save for that v-rod that was probably better in many ways but hd killed it and was afraid to make it a true touring mount).

Would have thought the Street Glide engine would have won out over the R18 engine. Though when it comes to bang for the buck Ic an see where BMW might pull out a win with that TFT screen and ACC.

Ok, lets see if these bmw r18b trims can drop in price in a year or so...less fire sell like they did when they killed the R1200CLC models back in the day.

Else, maybe it will be a long run for the new boxer king the R18 :)

Disagree with you on point (g)

That Boom GTS system is superior to the TFT in the R18 imo and is one of the only parts of the RGS/SGS that is actually better than the BMW. Shows just as much information about the bike, has the nav built in, is touch screen and easily useable wearing gloves, as well as the ability to have apple car play.

Thanks for mentioning the video Scott I just watched it ... informative ... but it didn't change my mind 😬 ... here is a link in case somebody needs it

As they mentioned in the review of the Chieftain is why I bought a new Springfield.The 17 inch Wheel and windshield on the Springfield makes it handle better than the Chieftain with the 19 inch front wheel and fairing.
Again,this is subjective.All are great bikes.

I think CycleWorld did a great side-by-side "Bagger" comparison of the HD Street Glide, Indian and the R18 B; there's a YouTube video out there.

I looked at the HD Street Glide ST and the Road Glide ST before pulling the trigger on the R18 B; I've ridden the early model Street & Road Glides out West over a four day National Park tour with friends. Looked both bikes, radio, wind... What's there not to enjoy..

They're all good bikes, I guess the R18 scored higher with me, dollar-for-dollar / pound-for-pound; HD simply wouldn't move price wise, which made me take a closer look at the R18 B.

4.7" of suspension travel, adaptive cruise control, remote lockable cases, REVERSE, ABS, amazing sound system, 10" display screen and a shit ton of chrome against a beautifully painted black bike.. besides, I wanted to do something different than what my buddies ride..
you made a great choice great Value the R 18 B

I had r18B and traded it in for a Road Glide. I have not ridden TC much. The Road Glide is miles ahead of 18B when it comes to ergonomics. The fairing is way better, absolutely no buffeting I pretty much in any wind conditions. Bagger buffets terribly. I am 6ft and the stock BMW bars dont fit me very well. The Tallboy bars on the glide Are spot on and Hammock seat is significantly more comfortable. Boxer motor vibration gets annoying at 80MPH after few hours.

R18B turned out to be more of a bar hopper bike and not really suitable for touring.

Is TC that much better?

The Indian & BMW have twice the rear suspension travel than the HD.Better ride for sure.
Slow speed handling around town and in the neighborhood the HD is less top heavy.Maybe easier to ride is why it scored big,I don't know but the guys did a pretty good job explaining their(yes their)views.Don't need to hate em.
Pros & cons like anything.
Not HATING but,I looked at the TC and found it to be top heavy getting it off the stand compared to my R18C.It would be a great bike for a sidecar but not my cup of tea as a 2wheeler.That's me.
My Springfield was built for me and hopefully you are riding the bike that was built for you.
If not,better get one,LOL!

I had r18B and traded it in for a Road Glide. I have not ridden TC much. The Road Glide is miles ahead of 18B when it comes to ergonomics. The fairing is way better, absolutely no buffeting I pretty much in any wind conditions. Bagger buffets terribly. I am 6ft and the stock BMW bars dont fit me very well. The Tallboy bars on the glide Are spot on and Hammock seat is significantly more comfortable. Boxer motor vibration gets annoying at 80MPH after few hours.

R18B turned out to be more of a bar hopper bike and not really suitable for touring.

Is TC that much better?
There ya go!
Ride that beast and enjoy.

The Indian & BMW have twice the rear suspension travel than the HD.Better ride for sure.
Slow speed handling around town and in the neighborhood the HD is less top heavy.Maybe easier to ride is why it scored big,I don't know but the guys did a pretty good job explaining their(yes their)views.Don't need to hate em.
Not HATING but,I looked at the TC and found it to be top heavy getting it off the stand compared to my R18C.It would be a great bike for a sidecar but not my cup of tea as a 2wheeler.That's me.
My Springfield was built for me and hopefully you are riding the bike that was built for you.
I ride R18 Classic almost every day. Great around town, shorter highway rides. I like it a lot. I did replace the rear shock on the harley. It’s over sprung and appears to be made for two up / heavier riders.

How does R18C compares to the Indian Springfield? Springfield looks like a great long distance bike.

Is TC that much better?
The fairing on the TC is much better than the B. The windshield is higher and the bottom side winglets make a big difference. I suspect the TC fairing is quite similar to the HD StreetGlide. I can ride at highway speed with no helmet on the TC and have almost no turbulence.

I have never understood why BMW likes their bikes to lean over so much when on the side stand. My TC is always parked on a 2" by 6" square block of pine. Easy to go vertical. My HD does not lean very far.

I ride R18 Classic almost every day. Great around town, shorter highway rides. I like it a lot. I did replace the rear shock on the harley. It’s over sprung and appears to be made for two up / heavier riders.

How does R18C compares to the Indian Springfield? Springfield looks like a great long distance bike.
The R18C is perfect with the sidecar.Kinda like riding in a pickup truck with half a load.It really is a smoother better ride with the sidecar.
Before I had the the car put on it was a bit like a Fatboy.Better suspension of course and although not a canyon racer the low center of gravity makes it a very friendly and easy bike to ride as a 2 wheeler.I would prefer a larger tank but I get it and where they were going with the design.I also would have liked a little more rear suspension travel.That being said.The roads here in Arizona really don't pose a problem.We just came back Mt St Helen's and down Hwy 1 in California.The bike is lots a fun.
The Springfield was a after thought combining the original Chieftain and the Vintage.The vintage w/leather bags and windshield had a different longer rake and took a little more effort to maneuver espicially in slow speed riding.The Chieftain with the added weight of the fairing needed to have a shorter rake to make it handle easier.All the Thunderstrokes I've owned are very comfortable to ride and are definately a long distance machine.I bought the 1st year 2014 Chieftain and a Vietnam buddy of mine owned(retired now,shop closed)Thunder Mfg here in Phx.He had a dyno and 2 cnc machines so we designed the the 1st round A/C.It was named "Thunder Charged" He also designed a rack that was able to install a HD tour pack.Funny I was in Sturgis the year Indian brought out the Roadmaster and everyone thought I had one.Mike Corbin was there and he got to see the seat ne made for my bike and the back rest for the HD trunk.I had them put a small pair of eagle feathers where the seat ans arm rest had their name.
Sorry to go on here.I guess I'm getting old and reminiscing.Anyway,I put 95,000 on that bike and it is still running around in Arkansas #459

IMG_2581.JPG
Then I bought my 2017 Limited and turned it into a 116
67978007323__40AC3105-D246-4223-BC8A-C15D5CC49F93.jpg67037517076__6D571E72-95A0-4F7C-A3C1-C11EFA718A26.JPG
Kind of a convertible w/o tour pack

Then with:IMG_9194.JPG
Kinda miss the 116 though the 2022 has quite a few improvements over the years.
I got the 111 and it seems to really run well espicially with the different modes.It rides as well but handles better than the prevoius Chieftains.My last one had the larger 19 inch front wheel.The Springfield is just easier to ride(130/80-17) and probably the best handling Thunderstroke they make.Transmission is bout perfect.My 14 took time to break in.This one shifts like butter.Indian also increased the oil capacity from 5.5 qts to a full 6 quarts.
I also worked for Indian after I retired for a couple years and the Indian trunk fitted to my 17 also fits the 22.
I also have the cooled & heated seat that goes with the trunk that I kept.So,I have both seats andd the luggage passenger backrest.
Only have 800 miles.So far it is the coolest runner of my 3 and I deleted the cats on them.I'm gonna stick with the cat,111 and stg1 A/C.
I have a new set of stg 2 cams but,I may sell em.Not really needed and I dont want another build engine.

IMG_0604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back