Connected App & Spoken Navigation Instructions

I'm using the BMW Connected App on a Pixel 6 with my R18TC. I have not been able to hear spoken navigation instructions (either on the bike speakers or my helmet communications system (Sena SRL)) since purchasing the bike. I received the following from BMW Support after submitting the issue and following their troubleshooting guidelines:

Thank you for your e-mail.
Meanwhile we know about the mentioned behaviour of the gps announcments. A ticket has already been submitted to the responsible developers. Of course they will try to fix the problem as soon as possible, ideally as part of the next app update to version 4.3. But we can't promise if this will be possible. Thank you for understanding in this matter.

For those that can hear spoken instructions, what phone are you using? Not sure if this is just isolated to Pixel (Android?) phones or not. Has anyone found a workaround for Pixel phones? Everything else is working as expected and I'm really enjoying this bike, other than this small frustration.

No issues using a Motorola RAZR (Android OS); I mostly listen to music via the bikes speakers and silence the navigation turn-by-turn directions within the Navigation menu.

Try going to the Map Screen, you should see additional menu options on either side of the Map View - push Right and there should be a Speaker looking icon for Voice Directions.

My RAZR phone also works if I select the blue tooth system with my full face helmet (C3 Schubert); same goes if I point the audio to my helmet speakers vs the bikes speakers.

Not sure if this helps..?

Using a Samsung Galaxy without issue. However, be careful what you wish for. The delays in the turn by turn are annoying. It'll turn off the radio, pause for a long second, tell you there's a turn in. 3 miles, then leave the radio off until you get close to the turn, play the radio for .4 seconds, turn the radio off again and repeat. You can easily lose nearly a minute of radio while getting through a turn, just in time to get more directions. #@+×$%&!!!!!

I agree with HDSlayer... his description is exactly why I turned off the turn-by-turn announcements; it cuts into the music way to often. I use the visual aspects of the Navigation ... Keeps me sharp and aware while on the road

HDSlayer & Scott Semone - thanks for responding. When I'm using the radio, I get the long outages where the radio turns off when turn-by-turn announcements SHOULD be spoken, just no spoken directions. When I first started trying out the audio features, I actually thought that I had a bad antenna for the radio because it would seem to go out randomly for long periods. Until I put it together that I was getting those outages when I should be getting spoken directions. I also noted that they were unusually long and wondering about that.

I find it interesting that when I'm listening to Media (Spotify), I do not get outages when I should be getting spoken directions. Still no spoken directions, though.

Since you both are getting the spoken directions with Android devices, it must be a known issue with Google Pixel devices only? Like you, if the directions take that much time off the radio, it may not be worth it. I'm getting used to not having the turn-by-turn announcements and the screen location is good for visual navigation.

Back