Considering from Georgia...

New member here, considering the purchase of 2x R18's and adding sidecars to them.

My wife and I have been riding Urals for 7, going on 8 years now. We've logged 50,000 miles each with the most recent trip being 4000 miles long through 20 states (yes, on Urals). We currently ride a 2017 Retro for me and my wife rides a 2017 cT. I maintain and repair both of them and the previous two as well. On our recent trip up to Maine... we had a long discussion about that fact we probably need "Highway Bikes" to continue our travels as the Urals are what they are, but not highway bikes by any means.

I'm not here to bash Urals, I love our rides, they have been great for us. However, I'm thinking we need R18 Classics (or base) with sidecars on them. So, that's why I'm here.

Questions will be asked in appropriate forums after I do some searching and digging. More to come...

welcome! if you both ride, the side cars are added for stability? I have never ridden with a sidecar, and wonder what it feels like.

welcome! if you both ride, the side cars are added for stability? I have never ridden with a sidecar, and wonder what it feels like.
It is weird, can be terrifying for the sidecar inexperienced and the most fun you can have on 3 wheels. I have an inner ear issue that precludes running on 2 wheels. My wife also appreciates the added stability as well.

There was a guy here that had a sweet R18 (forget what trim…maybe Classic) with sidecar though believe he sold it if I recall correctly. Don’t know if he still visits the site now days or not. If I find his profile will post it here. The R18 engine might be a good fit, honestly don’t know other than it has a lot of low end power I would figure. Though indeed, an R18 with sidecar in black looks really really sweet.

Not sure if other bikes would work better or not. Yamaha, thinking made a massive v-twin air cooled bike that I am thinking did not go over well. Though kitted out with side bags and trunk, etc. Still, I would not be a ‘fan’ of air cooled engines due to weight of a sidecar setup. After all, sure seems to be getting hotter weather wise now and into the coming years.

With the bmw you are dealing with very limited rear shock travel (base R18 and R18 Classic). R18B/TC does not have this issue. Plus base and R18B have only a 4 gallon tank which I offer is not good for a sidecar rig. Last, the cost of BMW bikes plus service cost on the R18 do not appear to be cheap. Last, like many bike makers, doubt bmw will cover the bike if a sidecar is needed when it comes to warranty issues.

Back