Convert R18TC into bagger

hello everyone and thank you for accepting me among you. I am French, owner of a transcontinental.

I have a question: do you think that BMW will follow through on its ambitions by developing a real range of accessories?

I took the plunge, after 5 Harley Davidsons (sportster, dyna, heritage, street glide and road glide).

on street and road glide, I installed a kit to remove the tour pack. This transformation is fundamental for me, otherwise I will not take the vehicle out alone. with my wife it's great, but alone i have to be masochistic…

I asked my dealer who replied: "No we won't have that, because if you don't want the tournpack, you have the bagger model." I'm obviously not going to respond to this nonsense. I nevertheless wonder if BMW has understood that the custom spirit means adapting your vehicle to your needs, and not just buying overpriced parts manufactured by Roland Sand... what do you thing about ?

Sincerely yours
Denis

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
I have the R18B it would be a great option to add the top case but it probably be very expensive & if that was the case I should of bought the TC. Switching the top case out may have issues with the electrical. The Indian Roadmaster has that option to remove the top case. Good luck & keep us posted

I have the R18B it would be a great option to add the top case but it probably be very expensive & if that was the case I should have bought the TC. Switching the top case out may have issues with the electrical. The Indian Roadmaster has that option to remove the top case. Good luck & keep us posted
Adam from this board priced out a stock TC topcase from BMW. It’s about $6000 for all the bits and pieces you need. And there are limitations is hooking up the rear lights and speakers!

Being able to easily detach, or add, the topcase would be really cool. I’ve got some trips planned that the case would be nice for, but I’d never want to do a day ride with it. I wonder if that becomes an option down the line if they keep the bike in the lineup. I do suppose their logic is sound tho - if you want the case, get a TC. If not, go B.

Adam from this board priced out a stock TC topcase from BMW. It’s about $6000 for all the bits and pieces you need. And there are limitations is hooking up the rear lights and speakers!

Being able to easily detach, or add, the topcase would be really cool. I’ve got some trips planned that the case would be nice for, but I’d never want to do a day ride with it. I wonder if that becomes an option down the line if they keep the bike in the lineup. I do suppose their logic is sound tho - if you want the case, get a TC. If not, go B.
It would be a great option for TC owners to remove their top case but for a Bagger to purchase the top case for $6,000 is not an option for me

It would be a great option for TC owners to remove their top case but for a Bagger to purchase the top case for $6,000 is not an option for me
Yeah, insane at that price. Someone on here used the stock case bracket and got a cheapo case on Amazon that did them well. I nearly went that way but backed off after reading reviews of the case. Like $80 bucks, so you get what you pay for.

I’ll just bolt up my backrest and strap my biltwell bag on and be good to go.

Probably best to purchase a TC from a dollar & cents standpoint, if you can tolerate the gun metal gray color scheme and then remove the rear top case and purchase a Model B seat for that matching Bagger look.

My question is this: as a TC owner can I simply unbolt and unplug the pigtails without having any fault codes or malfunctions and then when I am ready plug the pigtails back in bolt it all down and have it functional again? I would like to remove my rear trunk as I really only “need” it like twice a riding season. I just haven’t made the attempt yet as I’d prefer avoiding a costly trip to the dealership for the bike to be hooked up to the BMW electro-digital machine. Anyone who knows I’d appreciate your experience. Thanks all for contributing to this awesome forum. ✌️

My question is this: as a TC owner can I simply unbolt and unplug the pigtails without having any fault codes or malfunctions and then when I am ready plug the pigtails back in bolt it all down and have it functional again? I would like to remove my rear trunk as I really only “need” it like twice a riding season. I just haven’t made the attempt yet as I’d prefer avoiding a costly trip to the dealership for the bike to be hooked up to the BMW electro-digital machine. Anyone who knows I’d appreciate your experience. Thanks all for contributing to this awesome forum. ✌️
Hmmm, I wonder this as well. I could understand the bike registering a fault as it’d be looking for those lights and not finding any current. Maybe there’s a dummy plug to fool it?

Could also look into clearing the codes with the Motoscan app, but I’d bet they’d pop up each time you turn the bike on.

Would be nice if bmw included a menu option on the tft to run the trunk or have it removed.

Maybe ping Adam Chandler, as he purchased a Top Case from a TC owner (Byron - who I think sold his TC and dropped off of the R18 forum); however, I don't recall any issues being reported by Byron after removing the rear case.

Back