Converting rim from tube to tubeless

After 2 flats that took hours to fix, I decided to convert my rims from tube to tubeless. I sealed every spoke head individually with a automotive body sealer that stays somewhat flexible . Let it dry overnight and then covered the rim with a rubberized high heat tape. The tape is very sticky and provides a absolutely airtight seal. After 2 months of riding I noticed no loss of pressure and only had to adjust the front and back tire pressure for temperature related change. The total cost came to $40 and a couple of hours of work. Can't wait to have flat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I always carry a small compressor and plugs with me and was able to a HD rider with a flat to get back on the road in no time at all. I watched U tube videos about the process with different materials and decided to do my way. The valve stems I purchased from NAPA Autoparts.

I bought the outex kit for my africa twin and am having good luck so far. I have a royal enfield with spokes and will probably do the same for it. Definitely nice to not have to deal with tubes

After 2 flats that took hours to fix, I decided to convert my rims from tube to tubeless. I sealed every spoke head individually with a automotive body sealer that stays somewhat flexible . Let it dry overnight and then covered the rim with a rubberized high heat tape. The tape is very sticky and provides a absolutely airtight seal. After 2 months of riding I noticed no loss of pressure and only had to adjust the front and back tire pressure for temperature related change. The total cost came to $40 and a couple of hours of work. Can't wait to have flat:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I always carry a small compressor and plugs with me and was able to a HD rider with a flat to get back on the road in no time at all. I watched U tube videos about the process with different materials and decided to do my way. The valve stems I purchased from NAPA Autoparts.
Well done i dread a puncture especially on the rear didn't realise they were tube type tyres when I bought bike a warning make sure you remove your left hand silencer as part of your maintenance as they are tight and can sieze on that I can assure you makes it a nightmare

Thanks for sharing. This is great to hear. Can you please provide details on the sealant and the tape that you used?

Thanks for sharing. This is great to hear. Can you please provide details on the sealant and the tape that you used?
I ordered these products through amazon . Roofix Super waterproof tape, that I used to seal sliding doors during Hurrican Ian where it performed great. The hardest part was getting it off! !!! I purchased the 2" width as a 2roll package for $18. To seal the spokes individually I used Barrier Bond Black Seam Sealer Compound. It stays somewhat flexible after it dries, so it should be able to handle impacts without breaking the seal created. you have to make sure that the protruding head is completely covered. There are some really good videos on U tube on how to seal spoke rims with different materials and purchased kits. The sealant was $20. As I stated after 2 months absolutely no leakage whatsoever. The tape and the sealer have a very wide temperature range sufficient for the purpose.

I have been watching this thread with much interest ... and I have one question ... can you still tighten/adjust the spokes after you do that? ... now I know these are not the old Harley wheels where if you really get on it they may loosen up and you have to re-tighten them off and on .. the metallurgy and geometry are much more advanced ... but the adjustment is still on my mind ... I still 'ping' the spokes on service day ... for habits sake ;)

As far as I know and I tried it before I sealed the spokes in order to tightn them the tire has to be off. I tried tightening one of the spokes just to see how it works. You have to be able to hold the inside nut or whatever you want to call in place otherwise it just spins when you try to tighten the spoke with a 8mm wrench. I don't see any of them comming loose because they are incredibly tight.

With the outex kit you can cut and remove the tape over the spokes you need to tighten. They give you extra tape to splice back in. Or I guess you could just spend another 70$ and redo the whole rim. Considering what you would spend for a new tube it's not a bad deal at all especially knowing you can plug a tire on the side of the road and keep going. How often do spokes need to be tightened on modern rims anyway?

Get the cast wheels!
Imo nothing beats the classic look of spokes on a classic looking motorcycle. My first r18 had spokes and I was going to seal them with the outex kit but I sold it before it needed new tires. My r18 I have now has the cast rims and although I don't think they look as cool it is nice knowing I'm already tubeless

With the outex kit you can cut and remove the tape over the spokes you need to tighten. They give you extra tape to splice back in. Or I guess you could just spend another 70$ and redo the whole rim. Considering what you would spend for a new tube it's not a bad deal at all especially knowing you can plug a tire on the side of the road and keep going. How often do spokes need to be tightened on modern rims anyway?
The way I did mine I can also get to each individual spoke to reseal it if I had to and then reseal it. I didn't like the outex kit because I don't think it would have performed well on these rims. The heads of the spokes protrude quite a bit at an angle that I don't think these "stickers" would adequately cover them correctly.

I ordered a 3pin plug from Ali Express just to see whether it would work with the Pigtail under the left side cover above the battery. I will post updates when I get it.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    675.8 KB · Views: 2
Back