Corbin Seat Owners

Gaylord Poe

Premium Member
R18 Seat tool 1.jpgI have a Corbin 2-piece set-up which I love. Late yesterday while pulling into my driveway from a nice country ride my KEY ? symbol came on. After I stopped, I shook the FOB and it rattled so I took it inside popped it open and found the battery wasn't seated properly. I decided to go ahead and replace the battery since I had no clue about its origin. Afterwards I got to thinking abut what if that battery failed...then it dawned on me that the ring antenna is under the seat. So whether using a discharged FOB or the spare key, if I can't find a "sweet spot" through the Corbin seat I may need to take it off to start the bike AND I was not prepared to do that on the road...until now.

Corbin uses three 5/32" hex heads to marry up the solo and passenger pillion and the OEM torx for the rear screw. (I know I could just use matching torx screws and not add to the OEM tool kit but if someone is going to casually steal my Corbin seat I'm gonna at least slow them down a little, you know, do my part!).

In my shop I use a long shaft ball-end hex but I wanted to carry something with the bike's tools under the sidecover. I took a standard 5/32" ball-end, heat shrunk the shaft to protect my seat when using, and found that the short end works perfectly with an accompanying hole in the plastic OEM gripper/oil cap remover. Then I ty-wrapped it to the straight shaft in the tool kit and left the ty-wrap long so I could easily grab & remove it if I ever needed to.

Attachments

• R18 Seat tool 2.jpg
    R18 Seat tool 2.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 16
  • R18 Seat tool 3.jpg
    R18 Seat tool 3.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 18
I have a saddle bag/pannier and always carry a tool roll with me. You never know what you may need. Maybe it's from being a Harley rider too having tools at the ready... :ROFLMAO:

Back