Cornering clearance

Jeremy

Just would like to share my experience with the rear suspension set up. Took my daughter for a ride the other day. We were going 100 miles or so. I adjusted the rear shock to support our total weight of 190 kg. Algud. The set up performed as expected. I jumped on it the next day by myself. Forgot all about the shock until I was out the gate. Thought of turning back but didnt. I was intrigued at the result. Now these things have incredibly fine adjustment on the rear shock. They have a worm drive arrangement you can adjust with a 13mm socket. 1 turn tighter equals 5kg payload increase. Youd think based on that the adjustment would be quite critical. What did offer set at 190kg was a little bit rougher ride with little to no extra rear wheel hop, a step up in handling feedback and above all most of the extra cornering clearance I was missing. Bloody brilliant. It must sag quite a bit with cornering forces I think. Im just about to back it off 20kg and try it out again tommorrow. Definitely worth a tinker although I do have a cross country seat which no doubt mutes the added roughness to some degree.

Think you are right, not sure which variant you have. After joining this forum one of the first things I did was I adjusted mine 7 turns clockwise (from where I just felt a resistance rather than just fully backed off) and did notice a difference, an improvement, not night and day but an improvement nevertheless. I weigh 115kg BTW. I may back it off one more turn still and see if I can find that sweet spot between comfort and tautness but then again I may not even bother because it’s pretty good and sometimes you can get obsessed chasing something we ain’t gonna find, it’s no Fireblade is it 🤷‍♂️. I will not be changing the shock even though I know many have, I just ride it within its envelope and enjoy it for what it is.

I feel like I have my Model B exactly where I want it upgrade wise (exhaust, TC Lower Leg protection, TC auxiliary lights); the TC and B rear shock is automatically adjusted... My next big purchase will be Ohlin shocks, I hope by the time I need to start thinking about new shocks; there will be more 3rd party shocks to pick from over the next 3 years.

Think you are right, not sure which variant you have. After joining this forum one of the first things I did was I adjusted mine 7 turns clockwise (from where I just felt a resistance rather than just fully backed off) and did notice a difference, an improvement, not night and day but an improvement nevertheless. I weigh 115kg BTW. I may back it off one more turn still and see if I can find that sweet spot between comfort and tautness but then again I may not even bother because it’s pretty good and sometimes you can get obsessed chasing something we ain’t gonna find, it’s no Fireblade is it 🤷‍♂️. I will not be changing the shock even though I know many have, I just ride it within its envelope and enjoy it for what it is.
Fair enuff. I have the baseline model and am 115kg also. The stock shocks fine. Its not a weak link. You're right, they are cruisers however the R18 does perform well if you like to push on a little but obviously at the same time, being sensible about it.

Not on this model, no. I backed it off to 170kg yesterday. It took the edge of the roughness and it doesn't wallow, if thats the right word, in the corners either. Im happy with the compromise.

Not on this model, no. I backed it off to 170kg yesterday. It took the edge of the roughness and it doesn't wallow, if thats the right word, in the corners either. Im happy with the compromise.
Okay thanks ,just got mine but not ridden yet salty road rain and cold
Will have a look at that in the summer
Thank you for posting
Eddie uk

Back