Cover for Transcontinental

Hello all;

I need to find a cover for my 22 Transcontinental. Where it will be stored between outings is a pretty dusty place. I see a bunch of "universal" covers out there (i.e. carcoversfactory.com) but am looking for some recommendations if possible. I am also debating as to indoor or outdoor. Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

Joel

Whatever brand you go with, get the XXL size, and make sure it's a quality brand. Plan to spend between $150-250. I live a few blocks from the beach, so any kind of outdoor storage, covered or not, is going to result in chrome pitting and rust. So I park in a garage. One caveat on the XXL size, plan on it taking up an entire luggage case if you carry it with you. They don't fold up real small.

Hi, Thanks for the advice... I was thinking XXL as well.. Back in the good old days (read K1200LT days) BMW used to sell covers for specific bikes, I had one for my KLT. I was hoping they still did but evidently don't do this any more. Any particular brand you would go with?

My 2 cents......there are bike covers galore on eBay. I have purchased quite a few over the years (because I give one away whenever I sell a bike). My solution is to buy a cover meant for a Honda Goldwing, that way it will be large enough for any bike.
Contrary to Jim's suggestion of $150-250, I have never spent over $25 and each cover comes with 4 tie downs.

A good quality cover will breathe, similar to Goretex. Cheaper covers can trap moisture under them resulting in rust and mold. Some covers even have soft touch inside.

My bikes are all in a garage, but I use Oxford indoor covers (Dormex) on each if they won’t be ridden for more than a few weeks. They keep the dust off the bikes and let moisture escape. I have the XL for the R18. It’s a bit over $50.

An outdoor cover won’t breathe as easily as it is meant to shield against rain. When I didn’t have a garage, my bikes were outside with a Dowco cover. Very good, but not for indoor use. Also much more expensive.

A good quality cover will breathe, similar to Goretex. Cheaper covers can trap moisture under them resulting in rust and mold. Some covers even have soft touch inside.

My bikes are all in a garage, but I use Oxford indoor covers (Dormex) on each if they won’t be ridden for more than a few weeks. They keep the dust off the bikes and let moisture escape. I have the XL for the R18. It’s a bit over $50.

An outdoor cover won’t breathe as easily as it is meant to shield against rain. When I didn’t have a garage, my bikes were outside with a Dowco cover. Very good, but not for indoor use. Also much more expensive.
Hi, Thanks for the info. I'm thinking indoor cover. My bike will be spending time in a different than usual garage which is really a workshop with all the associated dust and dirt. Back when I had a couple of nice cars, they got covered with flannel covers; kept the dust off and were gentle to the finish, so in this case a soft touch inside would be great.. I'll check out your recommendations, thanks again!

I purchased, in Canada from carvcoversfactory.ca I bought a cover which turned out to be quite a bit too large. It is huge and I have to bunch bits of it up to stop it from touching the ground. The cover is shedding water perfectly. The occasional very, very small tuft of soft under cover material comes off. I am very happy with the quality, I just flubbed the size estimate. Good luck shopping.

Hello all;

I need to find a cover for my 22 Transcontinental. Where it will be stored between outings is a pretty dusty place. I see a bunch of "universal" covers out there (i.e. carcoversfactory.com) but am looking for some recommendations if possible. I am also debating as to indoor or outdoor. Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

Joel
The cover for my 2008 H/D HDTCU Anniversary fits great

Back