Cruise Control Button Broken?

My cruise control on/off switch thing has come off. Is anyone familiar with how to reinstall (verbage?) the switch?

Unrelated bonus crash info and photos...

Caught a bit of really slick dust taking off from a standstill and turning right. Empty 4 way stop intersection. 2 up with the wife on back. Essentially, it was an ultra-slow, high-side. Wasn't doing more than 5mph. My wife was somehow immune to any bucking effects and I was the only one tossed about and over the handlebars a bit. She had actually been stung by a bee not even 2 minutes before the "accident". She giggled about it all because it made her temporarily forget getting stung. I somehow absolutely blew out the crotch seams of my pants. Managed to scuff (rugburn) my elbow. I had to pick the bike up because it had come to rest on its right side. Wasn't nearly as hard to pick up as I expected and the sub$90 USD ebay engine guard performed spectacularly. Luck ran out mere seconds before I got home and we got rained on a little bit. All things considered, not bad.

The cruise control toggle removal happened somewhere in that madness. Not sure how, but none of the bits seem to be broken. There just has to be some sort of odd trick to installing it.

Attachments

• 20240526_195725.jpg
    20240526_195725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240526_200120.jpg
    20240526_200120.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240526_200343.jpg
    20240526_200343.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240526_201015.jpg
    20240526_201015.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240526_201028.jpg
    20240526_201028.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you and wife. Very happy you are both ok. You sure the button won’t just click back on? Otherwise a dab of gorilla glue?

I did end up super gluing the switch. Upon further inspection, half the tabs that hold the switch on had been broken off. The framework the toggle switch mounts to, to make a long story short, just wouldn't allow you to simply dab on some glue and apply switch. Also, because half of the mounting structure was broken off, I had to do something about reinforcing what remained.

In the end, I bought some superglue and got creative. I found the smallest bit I had on hand to drill out a couple holes in both sides of the toggle switch and made corresponding holes in the mounting tabs that remained.

I broke off two 3/8" pieces of the drill bit I used to make the holes and used them as retention dowels. Hid the hole and dowel as best I could on the front side. I was limited by where the remaining tab remained and tried to hide my hole in the "o" as best I could. Because there is a ball bearing on the bottom side of the switch used as a part of the built in detent mechanism, you couldn't simply drill all the way through and use a single dowel, I had to also offset a second dowel on the back side of the switch.

I also used some super glue for good measure but had to be careful not to gum up the entire slide mechanism along the way.

Seems to work. Better than trying warranty service or buying a new left commando unit ($400USD second-hand, if lucky).

Attachments

• 20240527_200329.jpg
    20240527_200329.jpg
    912.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240527_200444.jpg
    20240527_200444.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 10
I did end up super gluing the switch. Upon further inspection, half the tabs that hold the switch on had been broken off. The framework the toggle switch mounts to, to make a long story short, just wouldn't allow you to simply dab on some glue and apply switch. Also, because half of the mounting structure was broken off, I had to do something about reinforcing what remained.

In the end, I bought some superglue and got creative. I found the smallest bit I had on hand to drill out a couple holes in both sides of the toggle switch and made corresponding holes in the mounting tabs that remained.

I broke off two 3/8" pieces of the drill bit I used to make the holes and used them as retention dowels. Hid the hole and dowel as best I could on the front side. I was limited by where the remaining tab remained and tried to hide my hole in the "o" as best I could. Because there is a ball bearing on the bottom side of the switch used as a part of the built in detent mechanism, you couldn't simply drill all the way through and use a single dowel, I had to also offset a second dowel on the back side of the switch.

I also used some super glue for good measure but had to be careful not to gum up the entire slide mechanism along the way.

Seems to work. Better than trying warranty service or buying a new left commando unit ($400USD second-hand, if lucky).
Solid work...!!

Looks great but that part is $309 from BMW new. On the road now but will send the part number when I get home in case you need a new one later

NICE JOB! ... if it holds .. right on ... if it doesn't , at least it won't keep you from riding while you wait for a new one ... good on you!

Kevin,

If the switch ever comes back off, you can try this glue:

Shoe fix Glue.jpg

I bought it for its intended purpose, but quickly found that it works on every plastic surface I've tried. This stuff is CRAZY strong and sets up EXTREMELY quick!

This is what I'll be using if any switches, etc., break on Alcina.

Mike

Back