Damaged R18, what would you do?

Which platform do you rent your motorcycles out on? I used to rent out our AIRSTREAM RV on the outdoorsy platform; I went into it knowing that damage was going to happen, and I would simply bill the renter for the damaged parts and make repairs. Your recent R18 rental, is right up there with someone driving a 9' 10" high RV under a 9' cobblestone bridge within a National Park...

With the recent insurance payout, you can sell it in "As Is Condition" to someone who can restore it back to its original condition and get many years and miles worth of riding out of it. Stay the original course and sell it for a price that works for you; list it as cosmetic damage..

I’ve been renting my bikes out on TwistedRoad for 5 years. Probably nets around $250 a month so not much money but not nothing. This is the first incident I’ve had and the company took care of it. No questions asked just get a quote and they cut me a check.

I’ve been renting my bikes out on TwistedRoad for 5 years. Probably nets around $250 a month so not much money but not nothing. This is the first incident I’ve had and the company took care of it. No questions asked just get a quote and they cut me a check.
I guess we are just different, Adam. I don't lend or rent out anything.... Wife or girlfriend, airplane, boat, jet ski, cars, motorcycles, tools, guns, and especially my motorcycles, knowing how risky they are. I just don't "pimp" my ride out. My motorcycles are basically my personal pleasure devices. With that in mind, at least here with the places I ride... There's 8 golden rules, at least about Harley Davidsons... For your viewing pleasure... Link > Top 8 "faux pas"

Last edited:
Adam,

Consider yourself lucky in winning this lottery. In renting out your R18 that you still owe $14k on (by your own statement), coupled with the $1k 6k mile service cost, minus your anticipated $12k sales price AND your pocketed $11,682.46 insurance damage check, you're going to NET $8,682.46 out of this deal!

Do you have a rabbit's foot on you or something??? 🤣

Come on Down.gif

Renting out bikes to people who don't have any business riding them isn't something I ever thought of before. /s

Mike

Adam,

Consider yourself lucky in winning this lottery. In renting out your R18 that you still owe $14k on (by your own statement), coupled with the $1k 6k mile service cost, minus your anticipated $12k sales price AND your pocketed $11,682.46 insurance damage check, you're going to NET $8,682.46 out of this deal!

Do you have a rabbit's foot on you or something??? 🤣

View attachment 11469

Renting out bikes to people who don't have any business riding them isn't something I ever thought of before. /s

Mike
Yeah, he might have to declare it as unearned income on his motorcycle rentals on his 1040, plus State income tax. Keep in mind, we all subsidize it with our motorcycle insurance rates.... Nothing is free, someone has to make up for it.

Hi all, I have been paid out by insurance and dropped the price on CycleTrader. I’ve now had about 10 bites (from 2 before the price drop) and 3 people are very interested in coming to check it out. No One has offered less than $12,000 yet which is a good sign that I priced it to move. Also no one has mentioned that it’s not low enough given the damage. I did shoot a video tonight that probably does a better job than photos but still, I believe with the damage there is that it’s really not significant and the $12K price for a 6K mile R18 will be a good deal for someone.

I’ll update the thread when sold.

Hi all, I have been paid out by insurance and dropped the price on CycleTrader. I’ve now had about 10 bites (from 2 before the price drop) and 3 people are very interested in coming to check it out. No One has offered less than $12,000 yet which is a good sign that I priced it to move. Also no one has mentioned that it’s not low enough given the damage. I did shoot a video tonight that probably does a better job than photos but still, I believe with the damage there is that it’s really not significant and the $12K price for a 6K mile R18 will be a good deal for someone.

I’ll update the thread when sold.
The damage is really not bad at all. The new owner can have a body shop fix the tank for a few hundred bucks, or paint pen it, as you suggested. Someone is going to get a great deal. Are you selling it with the lights? All the accessories make it a slam dunk. I like how you're doing the deal, super straight and up front, not trying to get anyone. A fully outfitted bagger for $12K. Looks like everyone is going to win on this one.

The damage is really not bad at all. The new owner can have a body shop fix the tank for a few hundred bucks, or paint pen it, as you suggested. Someone is going to get a great deal. Are you selling it with the lights? All the accessories make it a slam dunk. I like how you're doing the deal, super straight and up front, not trying to get anyone. A fully outfitted bagger for $12K. Looks like everyone is going to win on this one.

Exactly how I feel. I’ll have gotten $24K for a bike I paid $21,500 for and the next owner will get a bike that will be almost at the bottom of depreciation in 2-3 years with up to date service and warranty. I feel good about the pricing. I should have it sold in about a week.

Looks like $12K was the right price. It sold today with the only delay being that when I paid the bike off in AUGUST, it took BMW Financial 3 months to write me a letter acknowledging payoff. I thought the title was coming...waited another month and called them "oh we sent you a letter it was paid off. we lost the title"

So I had to pay New Hampshire $25 for a duplicate title which took...3 more months.

So all the while the 10 serious buyers I had lined up all backed out except one. The title arrived last week and he came today to pick it up.

t132U1U.jpeg
2jicKne.jpeg
7urnzi2.jpeg

Looks like $12K was the right price. It sold today with the only delay being that when I paid the bike off in AUGUST, it took BMW Financial 3 months to write me a letter acknowledging payoff. I thought the title was coming...waited another month and called them "oh we sent you a letter it was paid off. we lost the title"

So I had to pay New Hampshire $25 for a duplicate title which took...3 more months.

So all the while the 10 serious buyers I had lined up all backed out except one. The title arrived last week and he came today to pick it up.

t132U1U.jpeg
2jicKne.jpeg
7urnzi2.jpeg
I’ll keep appreciating your videos on this bike. Happy you were able to finally move it. Thanks for your contributions!

I’ll keep appreciating your videos on this bike. Happy you were able to finally move it. Thanks for your contributions!

Thank you! I think once we’re back in New Hampshire, I’ll grab a base R18 and it’ll be a fun weekend bike. It’s a fun motor, I love everything about the design. I just didn’t need a big touring bike. Combined with the crazy insurance and registration costs in NC, this is for the best. I’m definitely a 3-bike man so I don’ t think that place in the garage will be empty for long.

I love the RED color scheme of your GS Adventure... Keep logging miles on that machine...

Thanks Scott. MOST people I’ve spoke to completely hate how much red is on that bike. Even the sargent seat has a red welt around it :p

Thank you! I think once we’re back in New Hampshire, I’ll grab a base R18 and it’ll be a fun weekend bike. It’s a fun motor, I love everything about the design. I just didn’t need a big touring bike. Combined with the crazy insurance and registration costs in NC, this is for the best. I’m definitely a 3-bike man so I don’ t think that place in the garage will be empty for long.

Thanks Scott. MOST people I’ve spoke to completely hate how much red is on that bike. Even the sargent seat has a red welt around it :p

Those Haters are just jealous...

When I first started reading your post I started to get anxiety....I'm a guy that will damn near call off a ride if I see dust on my bike! A minor scratch means the Marines need to be called in!!! I keep my S&#T absolutely pristine, cleaner than showroom condition. Obviously that's not what your doing. The R18s are big ass heavy bikes unless your used to handling a bike of this size and weight. This is not a bike for a beginner or sport bike rider unless the sport biker is very experienced. Meanwhile take the cash, sell the bike as is. Easy decision. Cash is king in this economy....
Good luck...

The drop at the end of the driveway, would have been enough for me to say "Stop..!! The rental is over"
I guess when things like bikes, cars, property, et. are purchased and used to generate income, it's a completely different thing. You're detached. Maybe that's a blessing in a way. I think the average profile of an R18 buyer is a middle aged white collar upper middle class to upper class purchaser that has had bikes before. The thought of letting anybody else ride your bike is pretty much out of the question unless you know the person well and know them to be an exceptionally safe rider. But most of us won't let anybody touch our bikes. Even mechanics are suspect, which is why we go to great lengths usually to find a good one. This bike is not so easy to work on yourself which means the shop is important.
Anyway...off topic. Just bullshitting here.... It was business deal that worked out pretty well. So that's that....

I rent all of my motorcycles online. Anyone can rent them so long as the company I use vets the drivers and insurance is something the rider buys. A young guy shows up on an SV650 and rents my R18 for the day. Pretty typical. I rent my bikes quite often…also, I really don’t want this to turn into a “you’re stupid for renting your bikes” I’ve been doing it for 4 years and no issues.

I turn around after sending him off and he dropped the bike. I wasn’t upset…still am not upset. That’s what insurance is for. He gets the bike up by himself (not my first rodeo but I’m not causing further damage by helping out). I took a few more photos as the engine bars were scratched, as was the left exhaust and a few paint chips on the left pannier. I asked him if he was okay and if he still wanted to continue the rental. He did so I gave him a few more tips about the R18’s weight and handling. All set and off he went. I have a tracker on all of my bikes and he never left Charlotte.

kxgLwNV.jpg

I saw him 24 hours later and took a photo of his ID and Odometer statement, he apologized for not filling it up with gas and I said they were going to bill him for that and he said he just didn’t want to try to ride it slowly anywhere. He said “just too much bike for me” and left.

During the post-rental walk around I noticed he also dropped the bike on the right side. Damage was nearly identical except the heat shield on the right header was also dented like it was laid into a concrete curb. Then I noticed paint scratches on the fuel tank down to the paint.

————

Here are photos of the damage:
RcHNSsZ.jpg
kFxktog.jpg
wZPqTf7.jpg
YA7iZHZ.jpg
XahBBIt.jpg
xQFjneO.jpg
teRu9nl.jpg
CkPQVqJ.jpg
9DGh5iB.jpg

—————-

Here’s the damage estimate from BMW which I fully agree with. “As it was before it happened” is always the goal. The rental company will cover up to $40,000 in damage and the rider is on the hook for $1750 of that but that’s due to the company, not me so. They already offered me $7,000 but I didn’t accept it waiting for the final bill. Glad I did:

D2lSOWR.jpg

———

As most of you know, I’ve been trying to sell my R18 for a while. I owe $14,000 on it and have had it listed with the recently performed 6,000 mile service was $18K. I was going to drop that to $16K soon because I am tired of paying North carolina insurance and son I’ll have to register is for another $500 so I’m just ready to sell it.

I really have 2 options. I can put $11,600 (probably more) into putting the bike back to how it was and still only get $16K for it.

OR I can drop the price to $11K as is and sell it and just pocked the rest of it. The bike is functionally perfect. It’s not damaged, just ‘laid over’. A matched paint pin can fix the panniers. Most people would just replace the exhaust with aftermarket anyway and you can only see the exhaust damage if you’re laying on your back (just scratches and some dimples) and I’d probably spend $270 replacing that ffont heat shield that is noticeable bent.

As for the fuel tank, paint pen + buffing and some clear-coat and it won’t be perfect but could be a great deal for someone who doesn’t really care much.

——-

Posting here because I’m wondering what you all would do? Do I just take the money and pay it off then just sell it for $11K with the damage disclosed? I’m still set on selling it And I believe someone out there would buy it pretty fast even with the hard to see damage.
No offense there Adam but your math doesn’t compute. 18k subtracting 11.6K doesn’t equal 11k.

Back