Dealer ECU updates

bigalcam

Site Supporter
I have a 2021 R18 that was built in February of '21. I have asked my dealer for a software update twice now. When I took it in for the 600 mile first service, and again yesterday. They tell me that there is no update suggested for my bike. They say that BMW has told them directly not to do a ECU flash unless instructed to do so by BMW. I called another dealer in another city and was basically told the same thing. There is no update suggested for my bike. They say thay they will be glad to hook it up but that I would have to pay an hours labor to do so. How can it be that a bike built in early '21 has no update suggested?

I have a 2021 R18 that was built in February of '21. I have asked my dealer for a software update twice now. When I took it in for the 600 mile first service, and again yesterday. They tell me that there is no update suggested for my bike. They say that BMW has told them directly not to do a ECU flash unless instructed to do so by BMW. I called another dealer in another city and was basically told the same thing. There is no update suggested for my bike. They say thay they will be glad to hook it up but that I would have to pay an hours labor to do so. How can it be that a bike built in early '21 has no update suggested?
Just out of interest what updates are you after? Mine was a 2020 build, it runs as sweet as anything. Unless you have a problem I wouldn’t have thought there was anything to upgrade on it really, it‘s so basic 🤷‍♂️.

Just out of interest what updates are you after? Mine was a 2020 build, it runs as sweet as anything. Unless you have a problem I wouldn’t have thought there was anything to upgrade on it really, it‘s so basic 🤷‍♂️.
I agree. When I had the 600 mile service done on my '21 R18C the dealer said there weren't any ECU upgrades available. Fine with me because my bike runs great. That was in the spring of 2022.

Just out of interest what updates are you after? Mine was a 2020 build, it runs as sweet as anything. Unless you have a problem I wouldn’t have thought there was anything to upgrade on it really, it‘s so b
BT Moto suggested that I do it. I

BT's advice is prudent and CYA for them. They don't want to build a tune for you that may have a short service life if an OEM update changed parameters in the ECU that could create a conflict and then a new tune would potentially be required. It wouldn't cost a lot for the updated tune, but easily avoided by making sure OEM settings are current prior to BT doing their magic and likely makes for a happier customer for obvious reasons. I wouldn't stress that their are no updates as there doesn't have to be any and now that you have literally double checked I would simply move forward and enjoy.

🍻 🍻

Maybe consider the third party BrenTune (spelling) that some of the other forum members have recently applied to their bikes? I personally don't know much about it; however, it's probably something that I will consider down the road.

Odd, mine is also an early 2021 and I had a bit of a pinging/knocking issue and when we plugged her in at the dealership and connected to the 'Mothership' in Germany it suggested 18 + updates ... it did solve my knocking/pinging issue .. maybe yours had been already done prior to you getting her?

Maybe consider the third party BrenTune (spelling) that some of the other forum members have recently applied to their bikes? I personally don't know much about it; however, it's probably something that I will consider down the road.
Yes, That's what I'm doing! That's why I've been trying to make sure that I have whatever, if any, updates are available.

Odd, mine is also an early 2021 and I had a bit of a pinging/knocking issue and when we plugged her in at the dealership and connected to the 'Mothership' in Germany it suggested 18 + updates ... it did solve my knocking/pinging issue .. maybe yours had been already done prior to you getting her?
In all honesty, Mine doesn't exhibit any real flaws, It's not as sharp as my previous bike. Said bike did have a power commander tune, so maybe not a fair comparison. Thanks for responding!

BT's advice is prudent and CYA for them. They don't want to build a tune for you that may have a short service life if an OEM update changed parameters in the ECU that could create a conflict and then a new tune would potentially be required. It wouldn't cost a lot for the updated tune, but easily avoided by making sure OEM settings are current prior to BT doing their magic and likely makes for a happier customer for obvious reasons. I wouldn't stress that their are no updates as there doesn't have to be any and now that you have literally double checked I would simply move forward and enjoy.

🍻 🍻
Thanks Bob! That's what I'm going to do.

.... well in that case I go with the universal rule of: "... if it aint broke, don't try to fix it!" ;)
Ulrich, As I stated earlier, my R18 doesn't have any horrible flaws or anything, it's just that I've read, on this forum, how numerous people have praised the Brentune for the R18, so I'm just trying to make sure that i have the best performance that i can. I have always added the Power Commander to my previous bikes, So.......

Ulrich, As I stated earlier, my R18 doesn't have any horrible flaws or anything, it's just that I've read, on this forum, how numerous people have praised the Brentune for the R18, so I'm just trying to make sure that i have the best performance that i can. I have always added the Power Commander to my previous bikes, So.......
I understand ... all the HD riders I know have done various versions of 'Power Commander' and such ... and I can really see that with HD. After all, the dealer will praise and suggest a Screaming Eagle this and that add-on right after you spit 30 grand out for a brand new bike 😆 ... IMO and speaking for only me, the R18 has plenty of power and get-up-and-go for my needs ... sure you can squeeze a few more HP out of that motor ...but why? ... I had mine up to a buck 25 (and she got there in a hurry) ... that is plenty fast for me and Johnny Law ;) ... and yes people say that she has a flat torque curve @ 3500 revs ... but let's face it how often do I really go there in everyday riding :).
So back to the statement that if she runs fine ... ride, enjoy and don't worry about it 😃

As I said, IMO and some may disagree ... but that is my 2¢

I understand ... all the HD riders I know have done various versions of 'Power Commander' and such ... and I can really see that with HD. After all, the dealer will praise and suggest a Screaming Eagle this and that add-on right after you spit 30 grand out for a brand new bike 😆 ... IMO and speaking for only me, the R18 has plenty of power and get-up-and-go for my needs ... sure you can squeeze a few more HP out of that motor ...but why? ... I had mine up to a buck 25 (and she got there in a hurry) ... that is plenty fast for me and Johnny Law ;) ... and yes people say that she has a flat torque curve @ 3500 revs ... but let's face it how often do I really go there in everyday riding :).
So back to the statement that if she runs fine ... ride, enjoy and don't worry about it 😃

As I said, IMO and some may disagree ... but that is my 2¢
Well Ulrich, If I hadn't already bought this tool 2 or 3 months ago, you might've convinced me to hold off. But I did so I guess I'll go through with it! Your opinion is always appreciated though!

I have a '21 and I had a software update. Don't think it affected the tune at all, but it did fix the fuel pump whine. So, there is indeed a software update out there that they'll do for free.

I think I have that fuel pump whine on my R18B FE 2022. There's a high whining with ignition on, but I haven't taken a ride yet on the new bike so don't know if I'll be hearing it whilst riding.
Should I get the software update immediately or wait until the first service? It doesn't sound right so I wonder if it's harmful for the fuel pump.

I think I have that fuel pump whine on my R18B FE 2022. There's a high whining with ignition on, but I haven't taken a ride yet on the new bike so don't know if I'll be hearing it whilst riding.
Should I get the software update immediately or wait until the first service? It doesn't sound right so I wonder if it's harmful for the fuel pump.
It isn't harmful (at least that's what BMW says), but it is annoying. It's really only noticeable (to me anyway) at slow speeds and while idling at a light. My bike was the first that my dealer did the fix on, so they asked that they be able to keep it in case anything went wrong with the upgrade...they gave me a loaner. I think that the job is only an hour, so if it's convenient for you to stop by the dealer, they should be able to do it while you wait if you schedule it ahead of time. If your dealer isn't familiar with the issue, tell them to look up service bulletin S1 13 07 21.

Back