Disregard if inappropriate.

Urgefree

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hello. Not sure if it’s ok but I was wondering if I could get the advice of someone who knows about 2005 R1200GS I’m looking at as a supplemental bike. We can text in private. If this type of question goes against forum rules I don’t mind it’s removal.

Hello. Not sure if it’s ok but I was wondering if I could get the advice of someone who knows about 2005 R1200GS I’m looking at as a supplemental bike. We can text in private. If this type of question goes against forum rules I don’t mind it’s removal.
Hi Urgefree
I feel sure you would find better support on one of the many forums dedicated to such a popular machine. That said I am sure there will be someone here with the appropriate experience.

Thank you. I kinda figured but wanted to avoid joining another forum if I don’t get the bike. If anyone can help please message me privately.

I owned a 2005 R1200gs. Put over 60k miles on it before I sold it it in 2017. Great bike after the fuel pump flange warranty swap. (If memory serves, it was prone to crack/ leak)

Don’t be scared of the servo brakes. Never had a problem.
172A666E-C92D-4910-AE58-83A16ED73C95.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out the GS Forum. I have a R1250GSA as well as my R18. You'll get lots of good advice from that forum.

Thanks will check that forum out. There’s a guy near me with one for sale 45k miles. Got him down to $4K abs deleted though.

2005 and 2006 have servo brakes. If the abs pump goes out, it is a costly fix. I’d look for a 2007 or newer.
Agreed. Early models also had a fuel strip issue that would cause erroneous fuel gauge readings. I had a 2007 R1200R that suffered from that. My 2012 R1200GSA has been perfect.

Yeah. Decided against the purchase. Decided to put the money towards being safe on the one bike I have with extra lighting from Clearwater and a leather airbag vest. Thanks for the input y’all. I’m going to keep searching for a steal on something a little more current.

I have a set of Clearwater Erica’s on my GSA. Beyond people seeing you more during the day (I always have them on lowest brightness), they are amazing at night. I feel like any deer waiting to dash out is seen well in advance. They are perfect for back roads.

They are a bit utilitarian looking, so at home on the GSA, but as much as I love their practical usage, I’m unlikely to add a set to my forthcoming R18.

had a 2004 Rockster and an 08 R1200GS. I put over 100,000 miles on the GS. The Servo brakes on the rockster were never a problem but I would find a newer GS. Non servo brakes and for a few extra dollars you get ASC and it works.

Back