DNA Air Filter and Air Box Cover Like New

Calboy

On the bike for about 60 miles.
Decided to revert to stock.
It comes with instructions. Everything is in the box the way I received it.
It cost me $160.00 total, shipped from Greece.
$120.00 delivered in the US only.

Attachments

• DNA Air  Filter 1.jpg
    DNA Air Filter 1.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DNA Air Filter 2.jpg
    DNA Air Filter 2.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 25
The reason is as stated in the original post.
Decided to keep the bike stock, no mods of any kind. That is the reason!
I know, you guys expected a"Saving Private Ryan" type of response to your question(s) but I don't have one.
I believe that the OEM air filter is the best for the application. Filters better than any "spray red oil on cotton" whether is K&N or DNA.
And I don't have an inferiority complex in doing so either.
So there you have it.

The reason is as stated in the original post.
Decided to keep the bike stock, no mods of any kind. That is the reason!
I know, you guys expected a"Saving Private Ryan" type of response to your question(s) but I don't have one.
I believe that the OEM air filter is the best for the application. Filters better than any "spray red oil on cotton" whether is K&N or DNA.
And I don't have an inferiority complex in doing so either.
So there you have it.
Correct bmw probably spent a fortune developing a air filter that gave all round performance and most of all cept the engine clean

Correct bmw probably spent a fortune developing a air filter that gave all round performance and most of all cept the engine clean
Maybe....but not necessarily. they have emission concerns....I know on my Harley, there were LOTS of aftermarket parts superior in quality and performance to stock.

If the R18 was set up for max performance, there would be no re map available.....

At least the bike has considerable more torque than HP...which is a good thing.

I imagine speed shops have made slight changes to this set up, kept it reliable, and gotten a nice boost in torque....so why didn't the factory?

The NEW 2014 R9T models have some they advertise as a "milder" ride....de tuned for the more sedate rider....WTF!!! Who want's that?? But it shows that is part of their thinking.

If I had my choice I would like 150ft. lbs of torque to the rear wheel, not out of the motor where you lose 20% in the trans...

Now you gotta bike you can leave alone!!!

Maybe....but not necessarily. they have emission concerns....I know on my Harley, there were LOTS of aftermarket parts superior in quality and performance to stock.

If the R18 was set up for max performance, there would be no re map available.....

At least the bike has considerable more torque than HP...which is a good thing.

I imagine speed shops have made slight changes to this set up, kept it reliable, and gotten a nice boost in torque....so why didn't the factory?

The NEW 2014 R9T models have some they advertise as a "milder" ride....de tuned for the more sedate rider....WTF!!! Who want's that?? But it shows that is part of their thinking.

If I had my choice I would like 150ft. lbs of torque to the rear wheel, not out of the motor where you lose 20% in the trans...

Now you gotta bike you can leave alone!!!
Exactly. I think Roland Sands or his team said they found 20hp in the R18 just by opening up the air box and exhaust system, without a tune. The article I saw mentioned that they could probably find more but they were worried about the clutch being a weak point if they upped the HP too much.

Exactly. I think Roland Sands or his team said they found 20hp in the R18 just by opening up the air box and exhaust system, without a tune. The article I saw mentioned that they could probably find more but they were worried about the clutch being a weak point if they upped the HP too much.
I read the article on Roland Sands site about this....just got this bike and I haven't really gone through it, but I'm hesitant to start Fin with it like I ALWAYS do trying to improve it....
When they say Airbox...where is it exactly and can I fool with it? Also what needs to be done to the mufflers to achieve this extra HP??? Any idea??
I removed the baffles from the pipes on my R9T years ago, but I sent the bike to a dyno shop at the time. Now there are no dyno shops in CA that tune BMWs that I know of. And removing things from the mufflers can effect the back pressure and is not always ideal unless it compliments everything else....
Any ideas....

I read the article on Roland Sands site about this....just got this bike and I haven't really gone through it, but I'm hesitant to start Fin with it like I ALWAYS do trying to improve it....
When they say Airbox...where is it exactly and can I fool with it? Also what needs to be done to the mufflers to achieve this extra HP??? Any idea??
I removed the baffles from the pipes on my R9T years ago, but I sent the bike to a dyno shop at the time. Now there are no dyno shops in CA that tune BMWs that I know of. And removing things from the mufflers can effect the back pressure and is not always ideal unless it compliments everything else....
Any ideas....
The air box in under the gas tank. There are some videos of how to change the air filter, not difficult. I think Sands did a full exhaust, probably without the cats, and opened up the air box, but I'm just guessing.

Back