DNA air filter

SUCRA

I am considering to install DNA air filter instead of stock one.
I did it on each of my BMW bikes in the past with either KN or DNA filters, experiencing low rpm torque, full power, and exhaust sound improvements.
Has anyone done that on R18 ? Is it worth it ?

I am considering to install DNA air filter instead of stock one.
I did it on each of my BMW bikes in the past with either KN or DNA filters, experiencing low rpm torque, full power, and exhaust sound improvements.
Has anyone done that on R18 ? Is it worth it ?
yep, done & done.
I used the K&N air filter(little cheaper) and bought the DNA top cover.Although the plastic BME top cover could be modified with similar results.

Installed DNA filter with the top cover and removed stock plastic snorkels.

Looks like performance increased just a tiny bit and i noticed slight MPG improvement. She now BRRRs noticeable louder at lower RPMs + have pops while engine breaking at 3rd gear (only popped at 2nd gear previously).

Overall, it's the cheapest addition i've made so far and at $100 for a kit if's worth it.

Installed DNA filter with the top cover and removed stock plastic snorkels.

Looks like performance increased just a tiny bit and i noticed slight MPG improvement. She now BRRRs noticeable louder at lower RPMs + have pops while engine breaking at 3rd gear (only popped at 2nd gear previously).

Overall, it's the cheapest addition i've made so far and at $100 for a kit if's worth it.
Any need for retune or re mapping?

I did nothing.

I believe there is a fancy system built in that adjusts airflow to maximize engine performance but I would ask local expert's to comment.

I'm not convinced the design is better than the stock air filter cover design.

Looks like the stock air filter does provide some shielding from close proximity high temperatures around the air intake and a air channel duct effect to let possible cooler outside motor compartment air temperature in. When moving slow in heavy traffic or in line to get past on obstacle or problem The DNA design may not work well for providing intake with cool air.

I think a better design would be a high air flowing duct like the stock air filter cover. Even better may just be no air filter at the stock location and a high flow sealed air duct that that leads to the front of the bike air intake location where a well designed out side motor compartment could fit. The stock aircover design seems to have a good balance of different variable dynamic conditions that have more than likely been well researched during the development of the stock air filter cover.

I trust BMW R&D made an appropriate air intake for the R18. Air filter upgrade may be best upgrade is what I am thinking but keep the stock air intake design at this time.

I personally don't fudge around with anything but OEM for air filters or fuel filters. I've (this is another thing) spent a lot of time in dust clouds behind dozens of GS riders on dusty trails. The paper filter catches all of the dust, even the fine stuff and their superior oiled filters or other aftermarket ones get clogged way sooner. Same with automotive with horror stories about K&Ns getting sucked in and disintegrating. OEM for air filters, Oil, I just follow weight and specification. Same for final drive fluid.

I personally don't fudge around with anything but OEM for air filters or fuel filters. I've (this is another thing) spent a lot of time in dust clouds behind dozens of GS riders on dusty trails. The paper filter catches all of the dust, even the fine stuff and their superior oiled filters or other aftermarket ones get clogged way sooner. Same with automotive with horror stories about K&Ns getting sucked in and disintegrating. OEM for air filters, Oil, I just follow weight and specification. Same for final drive fluid.
Yes,if you are in the dirt or running off road the K&N open air chargers are not your friend.My jeep runs a drop in filter(that retains the stock air box) that is washable.
The DNA & K&N are drop in filters and use the stock air box.
Big difference in a open charged intake that is sticking out in the dirt/mud.Using the same size, drop in,same box does not have the issues you describe.
btw,Paper will clog and mud up too!
I have experienced that.

Back