Does anyone have both the Transcontinental (or R18B) and K1600?

Billt1NH

Site Supporter
I've really wanted the K1600B since 2016. My visit to the BMW dealership was less than fruitful so I continued to buy Harley Davidsons up until this year. I still own one. My intentions were to buy the R18 Classic this year but I saw ,fell in love and bought the the R18 Transcontinental . I really find the Transcontinental to be an amazing and fun bike but I have always wanted the Grand America. I told the dealer if the 2022 had the same dash as the Transcontinental I would buy one of those as well. At age 65 I am really looking for the most comfortable long distance tourer and I think that is probably the K1600? Any insight would be appreciated. .

Plenty of info here
clicky clicky

I wouldn't let the dash be the deciding factor, plenty of left over B's out there at a discount. If you already have a Transcontinental you may want to look at the GT for a sportier ride and use the R18 for the long haul.

Plenty of info here
clicky clicky

I wouldn't let the dash be the deciding factor, plenty of left over B's out there at a discount. If you already have a Transcontinental you may want to look at the GT for a sportier ride and use the R18 for the long haul.
My objection to the dash was primarily the outsourced navigation which I felt truly lacking .

My objection to the dash was primarily the outsourced navigation which I felt truly lacking .
I got the Nav VI thrown in with my bike, I use it as a visual reference to back up what my phone is saying in my headset. And with all the issues the RT community is having with the TFT and BMW app it will be awhile for the bugs to get worked out... But I am loving my B and looking at picking up an R18 for an around town project bike....

Attachments

• A483D888-EE0A-43BA-9DB2-CDA606210756.jpeg
    A483D888-EE0A-43BA-9DB2-CDA606210756.jpeg
    836 KB · Views: 7
I got the Nav VI thrown in with my bike, I use it as a visual reference to back up what my phone is saying in my headset. And with all the issues the RT community is having with the TFT and BMW app it will be awhile for the bugs to get worked out... But I am loving my B and looking at picking up an R18 for an around town project bike....

Sweet set up . As much as I like the Transcontinental and will keep it I am assuming for long distance touring the smoothness , ability to move your feet forward to floorboards , electronically adjustable windshield and less frequent shifting ( lower horsepower and RPM comfort range makes shifting the R18 a frequent occurrence) make the K1600 a touring king?

I've really wanted the K1600B since 2016. My visit to the BMW dealership was less than fruitful so I continued to buy Harley Davidsons up until this year. I still own one. My intentions were to buy the R18 Classic this year but I saw ,fell in love and bought the the R18 Transcontinental . I really find the Transcontinental to be an amazing and fun bike but I have always wanted the Grand America. I told the dealer if the 2022 had the same dash as the Transcontinental I would buy one of those as well. At age 65 I am really looking for the most comfortable long distance tourer and I think that is probably the K1600? Any insight would be appreciated. .
K1600B in 2016?
First K1600Bs were sold in August 2017 in the U.S.
Both the first one sold by the dealer, Aug 2017. Tide home from the dealer 456 miles.
Bought the R18 Oct 2020. Ride home from the dealer was 256 miles.
Bought the B specifically to convert it to a bobber. Great around town bike, but much like a one inch pecker, feels great in the short run.
You want a long distance ride, the K1600B is your best choice.
Devils Tower 2.jpgDragon B.jpgIMG_1369.JPGComplete2.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG

This message is Dog Approved.

Last edited:
K1600B in 2016?
First K1600Bs were sold in August 2017 in the U.S.
Both the first one sold by the dealer, Aug 2017. Tide home from the dealer 456 miles.
Bought the R18 Oct 2020. Ride home from the dealer was 256 miles.
Bought the B specifically to convert it to a bobber. Great around town bike, but much like a one inch pecker, feels great in the short run.
You want a long distance ride, the K1600B is your best choice.
View attachment 3847View attachment 3848View attachment 3850
I figured you’d pipe in , thanks . Yes I believe it was announced in 2016 and I visited the dealer that year test riding the GTL to get a feeling for it . My continuing to ride Harleys for the next few years had nothing to do with me not liking the bike .

I figured you’d pipe in , thanks . Yes I believe it was announced in 2016 and I visited the dealer that year test riding the GTL to get a feeling for it . My continuing to ride Harleys for the next few years had nothing to do with me not liking the bike .
I put a deposit on K1600B in Nov 2016, Engle Motors in KC, was the 4 bike I bought from them, 2 Triumphs and an R1200RT.
I have owned many Harleys starting with a 1962 Pan. Hell my wife road a 2002 Super glide to Sturgis 3 times.
Gave my FXR to my son 4 years ago, I rode it over 250,000 miles, he is riding to this day.
Sounds as if you have a hard time making up your mind and are heavily influenced inexperienced advisors.
If 50 miles one way is a long ride for you, by all means have the R18 for your primary ride.

Last edited:
I have the Transcontinental now, and my previous bike was the Grand America. One of the reasons I sold the Grand America was for its instability on the freeway when riding solo. Nothing I couldn't handle, but on long freeway drones it became fatiguing. After with just over 2000 miles on the TC now, I say it's more comfortable for me (and my wife) than the Grand America was. I do miss the GA's electric windshield, but the TC's standard windshield is good for my height (6'1"). In our colder Southern California months (like now) I would like to have a bit more windshield height, but I suspect aftermarket items will soon become available to correct that.

I've also purchased the R18 Bren Tune which IMHO really opens up the R18's engine power. The downside is less fuel economy, but for me the multiple benefits of the Bren Tune out-weight that one negative.

One thing that still needs some work is the Navigation. BMW has recently released a new TFT update (version 012.008.40) that is supposed to fix remaining Bluetooth and connectivity issues, which I plan to schedule to have done after the new year. But map legibility is kind of another issue when you're not navigating a route - smaller roads are difficult to see but setting night mode helps some. Some folks may not like the phone-based navigation these new TFTs use, but aside from my mentioned gripes it works very well for me. The TomTom maps which the navigation uses are updated on a regular basis, and they don't take a lot of space on your phone because you determine what areas you need to download for your routing.

So... knowing what I know now, would I still pick the R18 Transcontinental over the K1600? This is a personal decision for folks, but for me the answer is a definite yes. The TC just fits me better, and I really like the retro styling it has. Everywhere I go, I'm always complemented on it. This bike handles a lot better than I thought it would, having a 35 degree lean angle that only scrapes the floorboards when it's really being pushed in the corners. Normal riding in the twisties is not an issue, even with a passenger. The bike's auto-adjusting of the rear suspension works very well, where with the Grand America I had to specifically set it for riding with luggage, a passenger, etc, and sometimes forgetting to set it when I needed to.

I have the Transcontinental now, and my previous bike was the Grand America. One of the reasons I sold the Grand America was for its instability on the freeway when riding solo. Nothing I couldn't handle, but on long freeway drones it became fatiguing. After with just over 2000 miles on the TC now, I say it's more comfortable for me (and my wife) than the Grand America was. I do miss the GA's electric windshield, but the TC's standard windshield is good for my height (6'1"). In our colder Southern California months (like now) I would like to have a bit more windshield height, but I suspect aftermarket items will soon become available to correct that.

I've also purchased the R18 Bren Tune which IMHO really opens up the R18's engine power. The downside is less fuel economy, but for me the multiple benefits of the Bren Tune out-weight that one negative.

One thing that still needs some work is the Navigation. BMW has recently released a new TFT update (version 012.008.40) that is supposed to fix remaining Bluetooth and connectivity issues, which I plan to schedule to have done after the new year. But map legibility is kind of another issue when you're not navigating a route - smaller roads are difficult to see but setting night mode helps some. Some folks may not like the phone-based navigation these new TFTs use, but aside from my mentioned gripes it works very well for me. The TomTom maps which the navigation uses are updated on a regular basis, and they don't take a lot of space on your phone because you determine what areas you need to download for your routing.

So... knowing what I know now, would I still pick the R18 Transcontinental over the K1600? This is a personal decision for folks, but for me the answer is a definite yes. The TC just fits me better, and I really like the retro styling it has. Everywhere I go, I'm always complemented on it. This bike handles a lot better than I thought it would, having a 35 degree lean angle that only scrapes the floorboards when it's really being pushed in the corners. Normal riding in the twisties is not an issue, even with a passenger. The bike's auto-adjusting of the rear suspension works very well, where with the Grand America I had to specifically set it for riding with luggage, a passenger, etc, and sometimes forgetting to set it when I needed to.
Thanks for the thorough comparison. I’ve had loud Harleys for 40+ years the last 20 years most of them have had stage II or III . As I age I want some performance without all the noise and Thousands needed to spend to get there , hence the attraction to 6 cylinders. Thanks for the tuning recommendation. Looking at their website it seems to offer the little extra needed without the expense and complexity

I also agree the retro styling of the R18 is out of this world . No matter how much expense or customizations I did to my Harleys I never got responses like I do to the stock Transcontinental. Everywhere I go people are making comments . I’ve even had women come up to me at a filling station saying they knew nothing about motorcycles but they never saw one they liked more .

I also agree the retro styling of the R18 is out of this world . No matter how much expense or customizations I did to my Harleys I never got responses like I do to the stock Transcontinental. Everywhere I go people are making comments . I’ve even had women come up to me at a filling station saying they knew nothing about motorcycles but they never saw one they liked more .
I stopped for gas on the way home from the dealer after buying the R18, had a lady come over and made at least 2 circles of the bike talking about how much shebliked it.
Get nothing but compliments about its looks anywhere I go, but then so does the K1600B.

I stopped for gas on the way home from the dealer after buying the R18, had a lady come over and made at least 2 circles of the bike talking about how much shebliked it.
Get nothing but compliments about its looks anywhere I go.
I agree the B is hot. We would probably get option 719 for the additional pop

Back