Does the 2022 R18 Transcontinental First Edition come with the "swag" box?

I'm picking mine up this Saturday. Bob's BMW does their museum tours every other weekend (?) and since I live 1.5 hours away, I'm timing everything around the museum tour.

Plus, it's my understanding there will be coffee and doughnuts at the dealership on Saturday?? :LOL:

Mike

Thanks for the screenshot, will come in handy.
While my bike was in for its break-in service today I had a talk with the general manager. He said that yes the dealership should be the ones to order the first edition boxes from BMW. He also said he was shocked that BMW corporate wasn’t all over it because they really want to make the R18 project work. His suggestion was to email corporate and give them as much information as possible including your VIN and date and dealer of purchase. He said speaking with them over the phone isn’t usually as good (paper trail) but if you do ensure you get somebody’s full name and ensure they say they’re going to call you back with the information.

The corporate number is 800-831-1117. Email is [email protected].

Good luck!

Yep, called them and emailed. First email directed me back to the dealer, which I said was the dreaded do-loop and not acceptable. Second email said TCs were only covered on the 21 model year - I thought they were new for 2022? Phone call was even less help. *sigh* - at the end of the day, I got a good deal from the dealership - I bought while enroute to the cruise port for a scheduled cruise, and didnt want the promos to expire on 30 June. Turns out they were extended for a month, but I had no way of knowing that on 29 June when I bought it. Had I known, I would have waited and bought from my local dealer, who seems to be a straight shooter. In fact, he is looking into it for me. We'll see. At the end of the day, still ecstatic about the purchase. I just like to have consistency applied.

I get tired of my bikes after 3 or 4 years, but it doesn't happen with the BMW bikes. The R18TC is some serious swag. Not interested in a gift box actually.

Confirmed! Got my swag box this past Saturday when I went to Bob's BMW for the museum tour. I asked the sales guy and he said that all "First Editions" get the swag box, and that it's not only a first year thing. Even the typed letter to the dealer in German and English acknowledges that First Edition bikes all get the box.

I can post pics later if anyone wants me to, but simply posting now to confirm receipt of said box.

Mike

Guess not every dealer "got the memo" Neither the dealer I bought the bike from or my local dealer seem to know about - both say it was only first year. I think local dealer even checked with local rep. Oh well.

Guess not every dealer "got the memo" Neither the dealer I bought the bike from or my local dealer seem to know about - both say it was only first year. I think local dealer even checked with local rep. Oh well.
You know what? I'm posting the letter anyways. Here you go.

Swag_Box_Letter.jpg
I highlighted the section in red that your dealer should correct themselves on.

It doesn't say "First Edition" bikes only in model year 2020, or the first 5k bikes off the line, or anything like that.

It says "...for ALL First Edition buyers."

Period! Full-stop! Do not pass go, don't pay $200 bucks!

Friedenfels, you are being taken for a ride, and not a good one. If your dealer isn't being cooperative, I'd suggest you contact BMW NA. Post #22 has the contact phone. It is my understanding that BMW really wants the R18 project to work, so I'm sure they will correct any deficiencies at that dealership to ensure this SNAFU doesn't occur again.

Mike

Now see? THIS is the reason I love this forum! I sent the letter over to both my local dealer and the dealer I purchased it from. Now we wait.
This letter and its German translated counterpart, sit directly on top of the black swag box inside of the brown cardboard shipping box. When one opens the box, they cannot miss either letter, as they are laying RIGHT. THERE! :LOL:

Mike

I also sent it off to BMW Customer Service rep that I had been emailing with. Sure would like BMW to make this right. But I'll enjoy the bike even if they dont.

Don't go letting a $100 freebie item spoil your enjoyment of a $20k bike.

I got a freebie box with mine, never opened it. If you get stuck, you can have mine no worries.

Don't wanna start anything, but I got a free coffee & a biscuit also when I picked mine up.

Agree completely. Nice to have, but would have meant more if I didnt have to push for it. Now t's just kinda the principle of it - some dealers give them away, others don't. I dislike inconsistency and am trying to get BMW to acknowledge and apply a uniform policy out there.

Dealer I bought from (Daytona Beach) did treat me well. I bought it on the way thru town heading on a cruise; they agreed to keep the bike until we got back, initial plan was to ride it home. Then - I got COVID, and the last thing I wanted to do was ride a bike 800 miles home, especially given the torrential downpours we went thru. They told me they would keep the bike no problem until I either arranged shipping or scheduled a fly and ride. I offered to pay them a storage fee, they had none of it.

The coffee table book is nice, but I really like the copper BMW roundels. Looks fantastic on the R18. Hat and belt are subpair, and I cant see me wearing any of them.

Just got another email from Customer Service - the person he checked with said only for 2021 model years.

Why in the world is it so hard for BMW to have consistent messaging on this? Doesnt instill confidence in the company. If they cant get something as simple as a welcome kit straight, what else are they missing?

Just got another email from Customer Service - the person he checked with said only for 2021 model years.

Why in the world is it so hard for BMW to have consistent messaging on this? Doesnt instill confidence in the company. If they cant get something as simple as a welcome kit straight, what else are they missing?
Who's customer service? BMW NA or the dealer? The letter that comes with the swag box is pretty damn explicit...ALL First Edition models. I note that R18B got their swag box with their 2022 bagger, so the year isn't the limiter.

The box is probably worth close to $200 USD, so this is not an insignificant thing to pass on.

Friedenfels, you may have to take your case up to BMW NA because, if this is happening to you, guaranteed it's happening to other people as well. And that doesn't bode well for the overall customer sentiment and hopeful success of the R18 project if BMW's satellite dealerships can't even get a simple swag box issue straight.

Mike

BMW NA Customer Service......at the number that was provided earlier in this thread, and also listed on BMW website. Delivering dealer is now changing his tune but not to my advantage - he is saying he only received 3 boxes at the beginning of the year. I reminded them BMW rep stated a box with my VIN was sent to them end of June - and that I want my box. Not going to let it pass, most def going to elevate the issue.

I'm just perplexed that there is more than one person at BMW NA that are saying my bike is not covered, while you guys are getting yours, AND the rep my local dealer contacted said same. I did ask local dealer if he could put me in contact with that rep so I can elevate. Although I dont want to accuse anybody of nefarious activity without proof, I would not be surprised if that box went home with somebody. Probably the GM who is saying he doesnt have it.

Back