Don't stuff your Classic bags

tommymck

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home the other day. I had a couple of rolls of paper towels in addition to the other contents which was slightly larger than the side bag could handle without a little coaxing. The reflector broke off of the side of the bag. I guess the stress of (and I really didn't put any muscle in it) having the sides expand slightly broke the plastic receivers that mount onto the two metal posts on the side of the bag.

Unfortunately, BMW won't have the part available for months. They're going to replace them for me (with the admonishment of "don't do that again please", but still it's a bit of a drag. Fortunately, the bag actually looks OK without the reflector.

Lost my Left saddlebag reflector this past weekend on a 400 mile round trip, and had not stuffed the saddlebags at all. Did hit a big bump going over a bridge, but other than that no apparent reason for it to pop off. Will contact my dealer this week to check on replacement.

What's left when the reflector's gone - holes, adhesive residue, indentations? Fortunately, as mentioned above, the bags look much better as originally designed and photographed, without the red plastic reflectors, IMO.

Attachments

• FE331F6F-2F30-45A2-B647-C77E8E5FCE96.jpeg
    FE331F6F-2F30-45A2-B647-C77E8E5FCE96.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 96
What's left when the reflector's gone - holes, adhesive residue, indentations? Fortunately, as mentioned above, the bags look much better as originally designed and photographed, without the red plastic reflectors, IMO.
A couple of metal splined studs. The studs fit into the reflector assembly (it's a compression fit I think...though not sure.) The studs stick out maybe 1/8". The interior of the reflector has a couple of hole inserts into which the studs fit. The "holes" in my reflector had cracked as a result of my overstuffing the bag. To be honest, while there is no reason for the studs in the absence of the reflector, they don't really look out of place by themselves.

I had half-a-mind to remove the other side just to make things look symmetric. I went the other way and crazy-glued the reflector to the bag. Loos fine, and is more secure than the original design (I was told that it would take 4 months to get the reflectors in from BMW, and I'd guess that's optimistic.)

My left reflector fell off too, in the garage. I had not carried anything in the bag. I think the nuts on the inside of the bag were over tightened and broke the plastic holding the studs. JB weld to the rescue!
Please post the part numbers if you get them.

So, my apology for asking an aside question though it is Bag related :)
Clock is ticking…maybe until 3 or 5pm today eastern standard time lol. I am thinking about getting bags for my R18FE 2021 model. Options that come to mind (I have a small mind and memory bank it in my old age…).
1. BMW Motorrad R18 Saddlebag Kit for like $855 or so below bmwmoa 35% off discount offer.
Guessing this comes with the mounts (photo below)
2. Corbn bags $2,555 color matched with pin strips at 10% off this retail price (bike octoberfest special discount ends today). They can paint the entire bag gloss black If I want.
3. Other bag not yet know of nor considered.

I hate to drop that much $ in a corbin set of hard bags but they lock, look good (to me) and can hold a full face helmet and carpeted inside and I like the way they interfaced the R18 rear turn signals into the desire.
Then again, though canvas (which I figure will smell after awhile even if wax coated…could be mistaken). Might only cost around $555 if the bmwmoa discount can be used on them and that is not a bad deal in my book even though they don’t lock…sadly.
Thoughts, other bags to consider for the base R18 anyone?

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/bmwmoa-dealer-parts-discount.1507/
thank you

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home the other day. I had a couple of rolls of paper towels in addition to the other contents which was slightly larger than the side bag could handle without a little coaxing. The reflector broke off of the side of the bag. I guess the stress of (and I really didn't put any muscle in it) having the sides expand slightly broke the plastic receivers that mount onto the two metal posts on the side of the bag.

Unfortunately, BMW won't have the part available for months. They're going to replace them for me (with the admonishment of "don't do that again please", but still it's a bit of a drag. Fortunately, the bag actually looks OK without the reflector.
Warranty
I was lucky(I guess,lol) and they pulled off my bike with little effort in my garage.First the right then I checked the left.Seems BMW over torqued the nuts inside and weakened the reflector where the bolt is swedged into the plastic.I contacted the dealer and got them replaced under warranty.By the time they got here I got some JB Weld and repaired them myself.I would suggest everyone with the Classic pull on the reflector and see if it will come off as easily as mine did.
It is a warranty issue.If your dealer won't help let me know as I have a new pair .
TK
btw,Has nothing to do with stuffing your bags so,load your nuts up..

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost a reflector in the first week. They're apparently attached to the bag with dandelion stems and unicorn tears. I was able to find a replacement immediately, though. Maybe since then, so many of them have broken off that they're legit running low in inventory.

Back