Don't stuff your Classic bags

Welp mine must have fallen off the other day and I missed it. I noticed and when I when to check on the other to see if it was still on it was. I went to double check if it was still on there all good and it broke with like 0 force. When I take into service I'm going to ask them to toss some super glue on those suckers

I noticed today when I was putting up new name plate that left side bag reflector is missing, and I didn’t store any thing in pannier’s and I notice its always left side which comes off, that means it’s a manufacturer defect mine was only couple of miles ridden and showroom kept also I am sure it was not there when I received bike coz I took a video when they were taking out from trailer and it’s missing on that video we should take this matter to NHTSA coz it’s a safety issue.IMG_6255.jpeg

Now that you mention it, it does seem like everyone who has had this problem has had it on the left side bag. I'm not sure it's a requirement from a safety standpoint (the reflectors on the fork are all that is required I think) but it's a warrantee issue for sure. I had forgotton about this issue. I crazy-glued mine back on and it's been fine ever since, but I'm reminded that the dealer never called me back with a replacement, and it's been 2 years now.....

Decided to check the left reflector and sure enough, although it was aligned properly, one of the bases was already broken.
Definitely looks like an over-tightening issue at manufacturing, however I must mention that when I intentionally broke the other base with a rag and a plier it did not break as crispy as you'd expect, but in a rather soft manner. Weird.
Anyways, upon my report dealer offered to order both reflectors free of charge. They're not aware of it being an issue and BMW has not revised the part.

IMG_3597.jpeg

Dealer already provided me with replacement reflectors. I had the option to install them myself so I took them and made sure to not over tighten and put a dab of blue Loctite on each. I think the cushioning on the bag, as you tighten, led to someone on the factory to over tighten them.

My right reflector fell off on the way home from the dealership when I bought the bike brand new - about a 65 mile ride. The replacement did the same at some point around 5500 miles, about a year and a half later. Dealer told me this is a REAL common malfunction. In both instances no chance of finding the reflector on the road, if I would have even known when and where it fell off. I am literally going out to my shop this morning to install the new one the dealer finally mailed to me under warranty. Beats riding back there to let them change it. I am going to see if I can sort out how to add a BMW reflector roundel, or something similar to the old broken one. Anyone have a left side one that jettisoned the reflector so I can engineer a complete set ?

Mine right side bag reflector detached while I put my 750ml water bottle into the bag. The only other thing in there is my ball cap and emergency rain gear. The plastic is just broken. Funnily enough, when I had the machine in a couple of days later and mentioned it to the main BMW dealer in Calgary, AB the dude was completely uninterested in assisting me. This will be the subject of a follow up with service manager.

Decided to check the left reflector and sure enough, although it was aligned properly, one of the bases was already broken.
Definitely looks like an over-tightening issue at manufacturing, however I must mention that when I intentionally broke the other base with a rag and a plier it did not break as crispy as you'd expect, but in a rather soft manner. Weird.
Anyways, upon my report dealer offered to order both reflectors free of charge. They're not aware of it being an issue and BMW has not revised the part.

View attachment 10895
In the future, if you have access to a variable temperature soldering iron with broad tip (best to get a tip that clamps on, or at least offers a stable heat spread surface), you can just heat up the bolt there until it "welds" the plastic back into place around it.

I say variable temp because you'll have to hold the heat for a while for all of the surrounding plastic to soften and flow with the metal without scorching the plastic. Also, the type of plastic is typically stamped (usually ABS, which has a vitrification point of 105 degrees Celsius).

I've done this so many times before with vintage computers, broken car/bike parts, etc., that the finished product typically ends up stronger than original.

No epoxy needed.

Mike

Back