Driving lights recommendations

TravisD

Site Supporter
Like the title says, looking to add some driving lights. Mainly to make myself more visible to other drivers. Im thinking mounting them on the crash bars may be the easiest option. Any recommendations that arent crazy expensive. Probably sticking with LED so they match the headlight.

Crash bars.jpg

I went with the Clearwater lights outstanding company and products. I used the canopener and added the Billy lights to the rear. You can use much smaller lights such as the Darla’s. Highly recommend the yellow lens covers for daytime conspicuity.

IMG_2867.jpegIMG_2868.jpegIMG_2866.jpeg\

I found the R18 on their website but although all of the pictures show them mounted on an R18 they all say for R18B and R18T. Am I missing something?

I found the R18 on their website but although all of the pictures show them mounted on an R18 they all say for R18B and R18T. Am I missing something?
Not really I had to call them to order my parts, you will need to know the O/S diameter of you engine case guards.

Just got off the phone with them. Got the Erica's on the way! Little more than I wanted to spend but sounds like it will be worth it.

Not sure what the canopener billy lights are? They are the Erica model. I did not get the yellow lens cover but Im sure I can get those separately.

Not sure what the canopener billy lights are? They are the Erica model. I did not get the yellow lens cover but Im sure I can get those separately.
The canopener is a unit you plug in between your alarm module and the canbus system that allows you to program your lights you still need to source the power directly from the battery the other option is a stand alone relay control module that you need to install and frankly there isn’t much room on the R18 standard or classic to do it. The canopener also has wiring to provide power and programming for the Billy brake light.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/collections/motorcycle-led-brake-lights
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-e138-44b1-807d-7980a2416d3e.pdf?v=1670023411

The canopener is a unit you plug in between your alarm module and the canbus system that allows you to program your lights you still need to source the power directly from the battery the other option is a stand alone relay control module that you need to install and frankly there isn’t much room on the R18 standard or classic to do it. The canopener also has wiring to provide power and programming for the Billy brake light.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/collections/motorcycle-led-brake-lights
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-e138-44b1-807d-7980a2416d3e.pdf?v=1670023411
Just checked my invoice and yes the CANopener is coming. She said they it is plug and play and comes with an adapter for my bike since I dont have the Wonderwheel like the B and TC. I do like Billy brake light and may add one later on.

Yellow lens cover, When I bought my lights they threw those in. I Didn't think I would need them. They actually come with a rubber holder that fits over the lens. I figured out quickly that with yellow lens covers during the day, really makes you stand out on the road! (Lots of cages get outta your way quickly! They quickly slip on and off. Also helps with bugs. maybe stones thrown up too Never had that happen though. Lights are 10% power at night low beam (still get flashed sometimes) and on hi beam its "GOOD MORNING AMERICA"! LOL During the day I want to say, I Think I read in the Literature, the lights are 30%?

Can opener you got to have to make them work right Billy lights are additional very bright flashing tail lights, to tell the cages you are slowing or stopping. Would be very useful on the B or Classic's where tail lights leave something to be desired. I have my right light slightly angled towards the roadside / ditch (to see any critters) and the left one straight forward and slightly down. you are gonna love them! Don't use the wonder wheel for these mine are controlled thru turn signal switch and hi low beam switch.

I recently did a night ride on some dark two lane roads. for extended times. When the oncoming traffic got near I would dim the lights but almost felt like I was blind!

Not sure if you are eligible or not but they also offered a military discount!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back