DRL- daytime running light R18FE

Rufus

Site Supporter
Afternoon all. I did try a search but couldn’t find anything. When I ride in the daytime there’s a little green headlight symbol on the dash. I can choose to ignore it but wondered if it should actually be on? I have looked in the manual but it wasn’t overly clear (to me anyway) what was going on. Do you have the same? If I flick the main beam on a blue headlight symbol comes on instead, that’s fine, but when I flick it off the dash goes ‘off’, which I prefer but then a few seconds later the little green headlight symbol comes back on again?

Push the lower end of the 'Mode' button and it should go off ... I have the extra driving lights on my FE and when the dealer installed it he noticed that the button actually had the function .. just the little 'light' symbol wasn't there ;)
Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 7.02.57 AM.png

Interesting...will see if mine does that. If so guess it is set to have the driving lights (spot lights) from Classic added maybe though very expensive to do one figures. Not certain if I want to add them even if used since maybe they won't work if I install the madstad windscreen??

Interesting...will see if mine does that. If so guess it is set to have the driving lights (spot lights) from Classic added maybe though very expensive to do one figures. Not certain if I want to add them even if used since maybe they won't work if I install the madstad windscreen??
I really do not know anything about the 'madstadt' windshield ... sorry. I am using the BMW frame and auxiliary lights from the 'Classic' with the plexiglass from 7Yurock. I really like the extra light and the looks of the BMW driving lights, gives it such a nice 'old fashioned' cruiser look :cool: ... and my eyes are not getting any better so I can use all the light I can get when it gets dark!
Try just pushing the button when the bike is on and see what happens ... maybe it is just that easy :)

where did u pick up the lights? and what did u have to do to get them to fit on the bike (parts needed), and was it plug n play wired to your bike?

Last edited:
where did u pick up the lights? and what did u have to do to get them to fit on the bike (parts needed), and was it plug n play wired to your bike?
Unfortunately I can't answer that question .. I added them as I made the deal with the dealer into the package. They ordered and installed them . I have a very good relationship with their mechanic .. I will try to find out which parts were needed .. I do believe he was doing the ordering. Give me a couple days and I try to get that info for you, I need to talk to him on another mater anyway.

Afternoon all. I did try a search but couldn’t find anything. When I ride in the daytime there’s a little green headlight symbol on the dash. I can choose to ignore it but wondered if it should actually be on? I have looked in the manual but it wasn’t overly clear (to me anyway) what was going on. Do you have the same? If I flick the main beam on a blue headlight symbol comes on instead, that’s fine, but when I flick it off the dash goes ‘off’, which I prefer but then a few seconds later the little green headlight symbol comes back on again?
From memory, when mine was on it meant the DRL was on. If I went through a woodland section or tunnel, the dipped beam would come on and the green symbol on the dash would go out.

From memory, when mine was on it meant the DRL was on. If I went through a woodland section or tunnel, the dipped beam would come on and the green symbol on the dash would go out.
Adjusted the settings. Went out for a ride this afternoon. Little green warning light off 👍. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Howdy Motoring .. I was busy over the weekend but I got a few things together ... the dealer 'couldn't remember' well I saw that coming .. BMW is trying to force him into a different (larger) building and he all but lost interest ... too bad, nearest dealer will be then over 200 miles away .. well back to relying on myself :)
Here is what I could find:
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.21.41 PM.png
You will need that part .. the number could be wrong .. I am unsure
and you will need this harness .. but if you leave the turn signals up at the handle bar (like I did) you won't need all the wires
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.25.14 PM.png

Then you also need the screws for the lights and the lights itself
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.33.04 PM.png
My recommendation if you want to use the lights call the folks at MaxBMW or somebody like that ..
they can hep you out with correct pricing and the correct parts .. some are black some are chrome
and at that cost you want to make darn sure.
Sorry I couldn't help you out any better.

You’ve turned the DRL off?
No Alex. Well not sure. I’ve turned the little green warning light on the ‘dash’ off which is what I wanted. i can’t really see any difference between the dipped beam that’s on anyway with the DRL. Are they even the same thing? Maybe it’s just the functionality that I have turned off. I had a Triumph T120 back in 2016 and that had separate toggle buttons for DRL, dipped beam and full beam so you could physically select three clearly different light patterns. On this R18 (mine anyway) and from what I have learnt on this forum I am guessing the DRL and dipped beam are somehow automatically switching on/off depending upon ambient light. That’s what I have disabled. I think. Anyway, little green light is off. While I was in the menu I disabled the hill start aswell, yet to actually see if it’s off, there is a decent hill I plan to visit and see one of the days.

No Alex. Well not sure. I’ve turned the little green warning light on the ‘dash’ off which is what I wanted. i can’t really see any difference between the dipped beam that’s on anyway with the DRL. Are they even the same thing? Maybe it’s just the functionality that I have turned off. I had a Triumph T120 back in 2016 and that had separate toggle buttons for DRL, dipped beam and full beam so you could physically select three clearly different light patterns. On this R18 (mine anyway) and from what I have learnt on this forum I am guessing the DRL and dipped beam are somehow automatically switching on/off depending upon ambient light. That’s what I have disabled. I think. Anyway, little green light is off. While I was in the menu I disabled the hill start aswell, yet to actually see if it’s off, there is a decent hill I plan to visit and see one of the days.
I saw the option to turn it off but never did it. I guess the dipped beam is on all the time now instead. I think I still have the option on the bagger but haven’t felt the need to try it as I mostly ride in the daytime anyway and never found the light annoying.

I use the hill hold every ride 😂 what don’t you like about it?

It’s just that ‘stuck caliper’ feeling that I don’t like. I suppose it’s because I’m not actually doing it, I prefer to hold myself and release then power up. It’s not very hilly where I live so it’s something I can easily live without.

It’s just that ‘stuck caliper’ feeling that I don’t like. I suppose it’s because I’m not actually doing it, I prefer to hold myself and release then power up. It’s not very hilly where I live so it’s something I can easily live without.
You know, you can release the brakes by pulling (or stepping on) them again ... you don't have to force them 'off'. I honestly thought it was a gadget in the beginning (never had a vehicle that has that) but I actually use it a lot . on the way to and from work I have to stop at a few down-hill stop lights and it is so nice to just lock the brakes on and the brake lights stay on as well .. the only drawback I found is that when you put the kickstand down ... they release without notice .. boy, did that catch me by surprise !!! 😧

You know, you can release the brakes by pulling (or stepping on) them again ... you don't have to force them 'off'. I honestly thought it was a gadget in the beginning (never had a vehicle that has that) but I actually use it a lot . on the way to and from work I have to stop at a few down-hill stop lights and it is so nice to just lock the brakes on and the brake lights stay on as well .. the only drawback I found is that when you put the kickstand down ... they release without notice .. boy, did that catch me by surprise !!! 😧
No TBH didn’t know that. Maybe I will give it a go after all then. I tried hill start on a Goldwing once, I was on a slightly off camber hill and whilst it worked fine I didn’t like the sensation of the brakes being held on. For a nano second I felt like I was going down, hence my reluctance. I do see why it’s been created though especially if you are heavily loaded up with a pillion etc.

Yup ... give it a second chance, maybe it will grow on you :) I see it like a parking brake ... just don't put the kickstand down and think it will hold !

OK ... this took a while but I had a chance yesterday to shot the breeze with the shop guys yesterday, on mine the switch (even though it doesn't have the light symbol) was fully functional and the wiring, sans the extension for the aux lights, was all there. The plug in is under the tank ... but, and you know there was one of them, the functionality has to be enabled in the ECU ... and only a dealer can interface with that ... no problem if you have a decent dealer around ... otherwise it may be difficult.

Edit: Oops this may have been the wrong thread .. I can't seem to find the one that the original conversation went on .. I hope whoever I was talking to finds tis one ...

Back