Electrical connectors

HerrFarber

So I'm not a big fan of cutting & splicing wiring and would rather make a pig tail using connectors that mate to the existing wiring. My question is what is the generic classification for the connectors used on the R18? My first project is to add an additional brake light / running light to the rear fo the R18. I would like to plug into the existing 4 pin connectors that go to each tail light. These are small profile that I have not seen before. Any ideas?

So I'm not a big fan of cutting & splicing wiring and would rather make a pig tail using connectors that mate to the existing wiring. My question is what is the generic classification for the connectors used on the R18? My first project is to add an additional brake light / running light to the rear fo the R18. I would like to plug into the existing 4 pin connectors that go to each tail light. These are small profile that I have not seen before. Any ideas?
Can you upload a photo of the connectors you're talking about?

I'm with you HF. And I'm planning on installing a high-tech tail light/signals device from Admore Lighting. https://admorelighting.com/ I've been in contact with Dave at Admore and I will be testing the lightbar for compatibility on the R18. Because the R18 has integrated lights on it's two signals, it may not be a simple installation. AND I want to use OEM type connectors to make the installation correct.

With a thorough internet search I was able to determine the brand and models of the connectors used in the Indian Thunder Stroke series, which is Delphi. Hopefully a similar search will tell the tale with the R18.

My initial search came up with a web site that seems to claim to have BMW connectors. But I can't get to my R18 for a couple of days to verify anything. A lot of the NAMZ stuff looks just like Molex and the connectors with water-proofing seals looks like Delphi.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the connector to the turn signal / tail light.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
I to have been chasing these for months. Came up with a work around relocate the stock lights.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Still looking, if I locate any I will let you know.

I'm with you HF. And I'm planning on installing a high-tech tail light/signals device from Admore Lighting. https://admorelighting.com/ I've been in contact with Dave at Admore and I will be testing the lightbar for compatibility on the R18. Because the R18 has integrated lights on it's two signals, it may not be a simple installation. AND I want to use OEM type connectors to make the installation correct.

With a thorough internet search I was able to determine the brand and models of the connectors used in the Indian Thunder Stroke series, which is Delphi. Hopefully a similar search will tell the tale with the R18.

My initial search came up with a web site that seems to claim to have BMW connectors. But I can't get to my R18 for a couple of days to verify anything. A lot of the NAMZ stuff looks just like Molex and the connectors with water-proofing seals looks like Delphi.

Yes, I managed to find the Delphi connecters for my Indian as well. It seems to me that BMW has this locked up as a proprietary connector and that's too bad for us.

Here are some photos of the connector to the turn signal / tail light.
And under the LH side cover & "fairing" there are a couple more connectors of interest. One is a three pin connector that only has two contacts populated. It looks like the same brand as IMG-4025 AND is an unused switched power source! I am considering using it to power my Tomtom GPS and cell phone when they're on the handlebar.
The other one is a pigtail obviously intended to be used for battery charging/maintenance. It is orenage and has a blinking LED on one side. The far end is connected directly to the battery terminals. Supplying a dedicated battery pigtail is nice of BMW, but unfortunately it's another proprietary connector that probably only fits an expensive BMW charger.

20210301_185405 switched power.jpg20210301_185418 switched power.jpg20210301_185753.jpgbatt pigtail.jpg

There is a lot of discussion on this board regarding extra lights. These R18's use canbus as such the computer controls power levels and even cycles power using PWM(Pulse width Modulation) for rear lights. The net effect is tapping into them can cause other things to not work correctly. Has anyone seen a power distribution module for them? If BMW wants to allow and encourage customization they need to release a means of facilitating these changes. Im wary the path BMW has taken will lead to voided warranty claims.

Tracking down compatible connectors would facilitate making extended cables for handlebar swaps as well. I hear the BMW extended cables are ridiculously priced.

There is a lot of discussion on this board regarding extra lights. These R18's use canbus as such the computer controls power levels and even cycles power using PWM(Pulse width Modulation) for rear lights. The net effect is tapping into them can cause other things to not work correctly. Has anyone seen a power distribution module for them? If BMW wants to allow and encourage customization they need to release a means of facilitating these changes. Im wary the path BMW has taken will lead to voided warranty claims.
While Denali offers a supposed "CANbus" friendly PDM, I have always separated mine from the CANbus loop. If needed, the only tie-in being a CANopener, CANsmart, or switched adapter. I have never had any problems.

While Denali offers a supposed "CANbus" friendly PDM, I have always separated mine from the CANbus loop. If needed, the only tie-in being a CANopener, CANsmart, or switched adapter. I have never had any problems.
Denali tell me they haven't as yet developed a CanBus module for the R18. Sounds strange as I would have thought it was a pretty standard type item common to most modern BMW motorcycles.

Denali tell me they haven't as yet developed a CanBus module for the R18. Sounds strange as I would have thought it was a pretty standard type item common to most modern BMW motorcycles.
No. I don't believe they have. Specifically, that would be a CANsmart. Their PDM would likely work. The adapter may not (at least on the FE or C) as typically they would plug inline with the TPMS. Frankly, I see no real need to tie to the CANbus on the R18, at least not yet.

No. I don't believe they have. Specifically, that would be a CANsmart. Their PDM would likely work. The adapter may not (at least on the FE or C) as typically they would plug inline with the TPMS. Frankly, I see no real need to tie to the CANbus on the R18, at least not yet.
Glad to read that. 200 dollars saved. :)

...Sounds strange as I would have thought it was a pretty standard type item common to most modern BMW motorcycles.
Sorry, I should have addressed this. Technically, you are correct. They are pretty much plug and play, excepting one important thing --the software. I got into trouble with bad information from one of the big two suppliers over this. You can have two outwardly identical adapters that will plug right up, but not work as intended. They can be sent back and re-flashed though.

Back