Engine cylinder head problem?

Felix

Hello everyone ,Has anyone ever had a cylinder head leak ,it is located below the cylinder,and What's the solution?
Thankyou!
2331697530063_.pic.jpg

Valve cover gasket...
Inspect, clean and replace if needed.

Its $350.00
David
That's an expensive piece of rubberized plastic... My BMW service manager said that the gasket doesn't typically need to be replaced as suggested at the 6k mile service interval; depending on your miles, perhaps it's time for new...

That's $700 for two gaskets... crazy...

I would take the cover off, and check for the point of leak which could be at the bottom of the cylinder head. I would inspect the gasket and if no visible damage or anything else then put everything back together to the correct torque. Chances are the leak is being caused by a part that was not tightened correctly.

I haven't experienced any leaking; perhaps, maybe check that the valve cover is properly torqued and the gasket is in good shape.
I second this.

I would also take the gasket off and do a thorough cleaning with some dishwashing soap (the degreasing type) to ensure that ZERO oil residue remains. Even use some brake cleaner on a shop towel and clean up the cylinder head surface to remove any oily residue there as well. The gasket should not be slippery to the touch after degreasing, it should "grab" your finger like a tire tread if you drag your finger across the surface.

Then, with both surfaces 100% oil-free, tighten the gasket back down to factory tolerances...maybe a "little" bit more snug but not excessive.

Take care of the problem now and you'll save yourself a headache later ;)

Mike

I second this.

I would also take the gasket off and do a thorough cleaning with some dishwashing soap (the degreasing type) to ensure that ZERO oil residue remains. Even use some brake cleaner on a shop towel and clean up the cylinder head surface to remove any oily residue there as well. The gasket should not be slippery to the touch after degreasing, it should "grab" your finger like a tire tread if you drag your finger across the surface.

Then, with both surfaces 100% oil-free, tighten the gasket back down to factory tolerances...maybe a "little" bit more snug but not excessive.

Take care of the problem now and you'll save yourself a headache later ;)

Mike
I recently adjusted my valve clearance and practiced what I preached here.

Works like a charm (obviously). The practice of using degreasing soap on gaskets is something I do for valve cover gaskets and any other "reusable" gaskets (e.g. transmission pan gaskets). Oil has capillary action, so if there's a gasket barrier that is soaked in oil, the oil WILL find a way outside the gasket. This capillary action is prevented by using a degreased gasket, thus keeping the oil on the right side of said gasket material.

Mike

Back