Engine fault light

A few notes.

I acquired the engine scan tool mentioned other places here.

My bike had some fault codes too. Clearing them is part of the first service.

Check engine light means something is wrong, probably with emissions.
If its on, bike is running fine, its probably not a problem.

If its flashing it means there is too much fuel going to the catalytic converters and it could cause damage from overheating.

Once a code is there, it does not leave. Bike off or even disconnect battery the code is stored until cleared.

If my ck engine light comes on, I will drive the bike as long as its acting OK until I can find out the problem.

We do not have spark plug wires any more, its coil attached directly to the plug.

Been doing this mechanic thing since 1975.

David

A few notes.

I acquired the engine scan tool mentioned other places here.

My bike had some fault codes too. Clearing them is part of the first service.

Check engine light means something is wrong, probably with emissions.
If its on, bike is running fine, its probably not a problem.

If its flashing it means there is too much fuel going to the catalytic converters and it could cause damage from overheating.

Once a code is there, it does not leave. Bike off or even disconnect battery the code is stored until cleared.

If my ck engine light comes on, I will drive the bike as long as its acting OK until I can find out the problem.

We do not have spark plug wires any more, its coil attached directly to the plug.

Been doing this mechanic thing since 1975.

David
I’d have found that fact on the first look into that “rainy” problem that TV had hehehe!! I’d still fire it up in low light and mist the hell out of it and see if I could make it go into limp mode and isolate the problem before I drove 5 hours to a dealer again…if I replicated the fault then I could at least share that if unable to repair it myself.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Got caught in a downpour about 20 miles from home. The rain was pretty steady, not torrential, but soaked me pretty good. Anyhow, about 15 miles out, my engine fault light lit up and then flashed. The engine ran sluggish but never turned off or seemed to struggle. I limped home to dry off. Looking in the manual, it's an indication of something bad---an engine fault---but that's about as specific as it gets. I've contacted my dealership and set up an appointment. Anyone else have anything similar happen? I imagine it's a sensor someplace and that the rain contributed. Not super impressed with that because, you know, it's just rain. Well I guess it didn't leave me stranded AND in the rain.
I just had the same exact thing happen to me, just parked it in the garage. Felt like it was running funny but didn't try to die on me. I'm gonna throw my scanner on once things dry off to see if my codes match.

Did you ever find a "solution"? I'm also very disappointed if my bike can't handle a little rain. If my code is also a misfire I'm considering getting to work with some dielectric grease around the plugs and coils.

Really disappointing that bmw couldn't seal things up, they've been doing the boxer engine thing for a bit now. Big GS is no stranger to water

I just had the same exact thing happen to me, just parked it in the garage. Felt like it was running funny but didn't try to die on me. I'm gonna throw my scanner on once things dry off to see if my codes match.

Did you ever find a "solution"? I'm also very disappointed if my bike can't handle a little rain. If my code is also a misfire I'm considering getting to work with some dielectric grease around the plugs and coils.

Really disappointing that bmw couldn't seal things up, they've been doing the boxer engine thing for a bit now. Big GS is no stranger to water
Ugh. Please post your findings. No, no solution found.

Seems there was water in the valve cover-cover, but not any clearly on a wire for the injector or spark plugs. Same misfire code and a few others that are different, but I can't recognize them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-162017.png
    Screenshot_20210917-162017.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210917-162052.png
    Screenshot_20210917-162052.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210917-162200.png
    Screenshot_20210917-162200.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210917_163133387.jpg
    IMG_20210917_163133387.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210917_163116486.jpg
    IMG_20210917_163116486.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 24
When you get a means to clear fault codes (remember alternatives to GS911 already exist and can be found in this forum), get you and your bike comfortable in a fairly dark area, start it, and with a spray bottle filled with water lightly move the throttle back and forth with one hand while lightly spraying your spark plug wires and see if you can either hear a misfire or see faint blueish arcing tracking the mist. You might just find that pesky hi-voltage leak that only becomes present in rain. And if you do, replace the wire and clear the code, and buy a hamburger on your timeline.
Since the Ignition coils are mounted directly on the spark plugs, there are no hi-voltage wires on the R18 engine.

B0010648.png

I'll bet the moisture in mine had evaporated. There was a good week between event and evaluation.
Some compressed air and it seems to run fine now, although the check engine light still flashes of course. Dealer says "generic misfire codes" on all three counts and wants me to bring it in so their computer can give them more info.

If it seems to be running fine, is it ill-advised to ride while I wait for my appointment, or ride it TO the appointment? Also out of pickup range and without a truck/trailer.

I'm tempted to clear the codes and see if they return, however that gets rid of any chance of further diagnostics at the dealer.

At 600 miles on our Transcontinental had the same thing happen. Got caught in one of the worst rain storms I had ever been in for about 60 miles. The See your dealer warning came on and the bike ran like one plug wire was shorting out. Next day started the bike , same warning. It was due for break in service and I never bring the bike in dirty so I washed it dried it with a leaf blower , removed the headcovers found some moisture wiped it out . Restarted the bike warning was gone. Dealer cleared the codes and said don't worry.

Some compressed air and it seems to run fine now, although the check engine light still flashes of course. Dealer says "generic misfire codes" on all three counts and wants me to bring it in so their computer can give them more info.

If it seems to be running fine, is it ill-advised to ride while I wait for my appointment, or ride it TO the appointment? Also out of pickup range and without a truck/trailer.

I'm tempted to clear the codes and see if they return, however that gets rid of any chance of further diagnostics at the dealer.
The cure for moisture(humidity) problems in conventional distributor type ignitions for the past 50 or so years has been WD40.
AS the name says WD40 (Water Displacement 40th formula).
It does work as a temporary cure or testing medium.

At 600 miles on our Transcontinental had the same thing happen. Got caught in one of the worst rain storms I had ever been in for about 60 miles. The See your dealer warning came on and the bike ran like one plug wire was shorting out. Next day started the bike , same warning. It was due for break in service and I never bring the bike in dirty so I washed it dried it with a leaf blower , removed the headcovers found some moisture wiped it out . Restarted the bike warning was gone. Dealer cleared the codes and said don't worry.
That's frustrating to hear. "Don't worry about it" isn't really a satisfactory answer if it's a reoccurring issue. Not riding in rain isn't much of a choice for most people. The bike has a RAIN MODE after all.

Maybe if enough people bring this issue in on a warranty claim a recall or modification will come out, but I won't hold my breath

I had the bike running funny as well after a good rain session. At low rev it would respond to throttle with occasional delay and not regular. Nothing else so far . Appart from the fluel pump and left piston of course ;)

It rained like catz & dogs on the way home from the dealer the day I purchased the bike.No issues.

Update on misfire in the rain:
While waiting for my dealer appointment I got antsy and decided to poke around a bit myself. After some digging I believe that I was wrong earlier and the valve cover-cover was a red herring. It is so easy to forget with how well things are tucked, but this bike has two spark plugs per cylinder. If there is arcing to rain water I think it is happening on the bottom plug(s). As you can see, the coils and boots have a very different design:
IMG_20210919_050249259.jpg
The coil in the traditional location is shielded from water by the head, and cover-cover, as well as having a bolt that applies pressure in line with the spark plug. When I removed it the seal was very good (pop) and there was no indication of water. Water does get under the cover-cover as I previously mentioned but this seems to be accounted for as there is a drain on the bottom I didn't previously notice, and all wires here are sealed tight.
IMG_20210919_045507634.jpg
However the bottom coil is at a 90 degree angle or more from the spark plug, and therefore bends at the boot. There is no bolt holding it in any direction, let alone in line the with plug. It merely fits into a detent on the jug and a plastic cover presses on it from below. This is also much more exposed to the elements and splash from the front tire in the rain. You can see the water deposits below
IMG_20210919_045941485.jpg
When I pulled these boots off, neither seemed seated very well and there was also water deposits ON THE PLUG
IMG_20210919_051014798.jpg
I had a look inside the boots and there seems to be what is either residue from the rubber manufacturing process, or some compound designed to stop the boot from fusing with the ceramic under heat cycles. Either way it seemed to make the seal worse.
IMG_20210919_045958431.jpg
I used some q tips and cleaned out the boots with rubbing alcohol then applied a thin film of dielectric grease. Reinstalled everything taking special care to ensure the bottom coils were seated correctly.
IMG_20210919_051935491.jpg
Today I rode the bike to my dealer for the appointment. They found 3 (three!!!) software updates needed for the bike, which have fixed my fuel pump whine, and also found my temperature sensor to be out of spec. They believed that could be causing the bike to throw a misfire code and go into limp if, say, rain water cooled a head to the point of bad readings. They also admitted it may be unrelated but didn't find anything broken or improperly installed for the ignition system. The part will take 2 weeks to get here, I'll have it replaced, then we will go from there if the issue persists. On my ride home, luck would have it that I got caught in the rain! No issues at all. Perhaps the temp sensor is totally unrelated but I'm glad it was caught under warranty either way.

If I have any further issues or updates I will post them here.

TL;DR: PUT SOME DIELECTRIC GREASE ON YOUR PLUG BOOTS

Recently when cleaning my bike I removed the seat and rear mudguard. I was surprised and disappointed to see just how exposed the electrical components were to water fling from rear wheel.

If the bike ran crappy then I may think it’s a electrical issue. I picked my pike up and had a spot light out and service warning light on with 3 miles on it. They fixed the bulb. But. Did not get a PDI check list. Did anyone get a form that the bike had initial service assembly and inspection? I’m doubting the dealer at the moment. They told me the warning tool light was for the 600 mile service. I seriously doubt my bike had the initial set up done properly

If the bike ran crappy then I may think it’s a electrical issue. I picked my pike up and had a spot light out and service warning light on with 3 miles on it. They fixed the bulb. But. Did not get a PDI check list. Did anyone get a form that the bike had initial service assembly and inspection? I’m doubting the dealer at the moment. They told me the warning tool light was for the 600 mile service. I seriously doubt my bike had the initial set up done properly
Call Honz

Back