Engine Guards & Tank Pads

theMucker

Premium Member
Last Friday, while I was away on a 4 day weekend, the box from Pier City Customs arrived. In it were the black powdercoated engine guards and rubber gas tank pads. Yesterday I installed them in a bit more than an hour and rode away.

The tank pads are easy to install of course. Just peel off the plastic from the double-sided tape and carefully place them on the tank. The engine guards were not difficult either. They came with new hardware which is socket-head, rather than Torx, but that's fine with me. The rear brake lever had to be removed in order to install the RH half. The non-OEM BMW automotive horn still fit fine on the LH side. Placing the upper two guard mounts behind the bike's front brake hose junction required some care, but was also not a big deal.

I love the final appearance. The black engine guards blend nicely with the R18, as if they are an extension of the frame and it's good to know that they will protect the $1500 Roland Sands rocker covers in the event of a tip over. The gas tank pads are a minor change, but I like the retro look and they will keep my jeans from chafing the gas tank finish.

engine guards & tank pads.jpgengine guards 1.jpgengine guards 2.jpg

Last Friday, while I was away on a 4 day weekend, the box from Pier City Customs arrived. In it were the black powdercoated engine guards and rubber gas tank pads. Yesterday I installed them in a bit more than an hour and rode away.

The tank pads are easy to install of course. Just peel off the plastic from the double-sided tape and carefully place them on the tank. The engine guards were not difficult either. They came with new hardware which is socket-head, rather than Torx, but that's fine with me. The rear brake lever had to be removed in order to install the RH half. The non-OEM BMW automotive horn still fit fine on the LH side. Placing the upper two guard mounts behind the bike's front brake hose junction required some care, but was also not a big deal.

I love the final appearance. The black engine guards blend nicely with the R18, as if they are an extension of the frame and it's good to know that they will protect the $1500 Roland Sands rocker covers in the event of a tip over. The gas tank pads are a minor change, but I like the retro look and they will keep my jeans from chafing the gas tank finish.

View attachment 1120View attachment 1121View attachment 1122
That really looks good!!

How long until you get the matching Roland Sands engine cover? Next years’ birthday gift?
There's a story to go with the reply...
Back in February my wife wanted to know what I would like for my birthday on 3/30. I handed her the BMW R18 accessories booklet and showed her the add-on Roland Sands rocker cover items. But when she talked to our guy in Chattanooga they had a miscommunication and he thought that she wanted the replacement Roland Sands covers. He texted her a photo of them and she said that's it and gave him the credit card info. Of course when they arrived it became obvious that the $1500 pieces had been ordered, rather than the much less expensive "dress-up" parts. It was a special order and demanding a refund for an item that had been confirmed by my wife was not the thing to do.
Bottom line, I LOVE the darned rocker covers, but I do not plan to get the matching engine timing cover.

UPDATE!
I have wondered how good the double-sided tape that holds the gas tank pads on is. Today, the day after I installed them, I stopped for gas at a station that apparently had a faulty gas pump nozzle. I filled the tank normally and when I let off of the nozzle lever it continued to dispense gasoline! The gas tank overflowed and by the time the nozzle stopped giving gas, it had probably spewed 6 ounces over the gas tank! Needless to say, the left side rubber pad was doused with premium petrol!
Happily, it did not appear to have an effect on the adhesive retaining the pad. Later, when I got home, a few minutes with soap & water and some cleaner wax, all is as good as new.

There's a story to go with the reply...
Back in February my wife wanted to know what I would like for my birthday on 3/30. I handed her the BMW R18 accessories booklet and showed her the add-on Roland Sands rocker cover items. But when she talked to our guy in Chattanooga they had a miscommunication and he thought that she wanted the replacement Roland Sands covers. He texted her a photo of them and she said that's it and gave him the credit card info. Of course when they arrived it became obvious that the $1500 pieces had been ordered, rather than the much less expensive "dress-up" parts. It was a special order and demanding a refund for an item that had been confirmed by my wife was not the thing to do.
Bottom line, I LOVE the darned rocker covers, but I do not plan to get the matching engine timing cover.
Measure twice, cut once. And my bank sends us (the wife or me) an SMS the moment any transaction is processed on any of our accounts - amounting to measuring thrice, especially for an amount like $1500. I have noticed that BMW-dealer staffers often get items wrong on quotes, courtesy German-English. Try always to reference the part number - ask Dr Google if it is not provided in the accessories brochure or website.

Last edited:
Back