Engine heat

David R

After doing 250 miles on a 90*f day, I found heat from the engine is negligible. Even sitting still, the engine heat does not get to my body.

Getting better all the time.

I have a gold wing and it bakes me at stop lights.
I have to put my feet on highway pegs to keep them cool when its hot out. This also directs cooler air to my passenger.

No problems with the R18.

David

After doing 250 miles on a 90*f day, I found heat from the engine is negligible. Even sitting still, the engine heat does not get to my body.

Getting better all the time.

I have a gold wing and it bakes me at stop lights.
I have to put my feet on highway pegs to keep them cool when its hot out. This also directs cooler air to my passenger.

No problems with the R18.

David

Ya gotta love those big jugs sticking out there in the wind. Lots of folks cry about the heat coming off of big V-twins. That's a lot of HOT metal between the knees and the rear header tends to be too close to the family jewels for cooling air to get there. And the big liquid cooled multis only look cooler. Having a radiator out front means that the fan blows heat back toward the rider(s).
We don't need no radiator and the really hot items are out in the air stream, where they belong!
:cool:

Indeed. I am really surprised at how little heat makes it to me, even in the hottest weather. My CB1100 (which is air cooled) puts off a bunch more heat that makes it my way.

Are there any southern california riders who can also attest to the low amount of engine heat? this is a big factor for me. How much cooler is it compared to other bikes noticeably so ? slightly cooler?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by social rider, but given your user name, my R18 throws less heat than my CB1100EX as a comparison. It's not a matter of warmer or cooler. It's a matter of the amount of time that you notice the heat being thrown your way. In the winter of course, the heat is welcome. At highway speeds its a non issue in any case.

Not sure what you mean by social rider, but given your user name, my R18 throws less heat than my CB1100EX as a comparison. It's not a matter of warmer or cooler. It's a matter of the amount of time that you notice the heat being thrown your way. In the winter of course, the heat is welcome. At highway speeds its a non issue in any case.
sorry i meant southern california when had typed socal .specifically the los angeles area.

Yep, it's amazing how much heat is dispelled off those jugs. I have a 1999 F650 and it's like riding around on top of a sauna. What's really interesting too is that after a good ride on the R18 (they're all good :cool: ), you can put your hand relatively close to the radiators and feel very little heat. However, touch the radiator itself and it's scalding hot.

Last edited:
Having just got back from 1200 miles on the K1600 only to do a 250 mile charity ride on the R18 the next morning, the K1600 roasts me far more than the R18 did in stop and go traffic.

would you say the moto guzzi's stay equally cool?
Broadly speaking, yes. Both are relatively low revving air/oil cooled engines with large exposed cylinder heads and lots of cooling fins. I've not encountered much complaining regarding engine heat from modern Guzzi owners either out and about or in Guzzi forums.
Speaking personally, my 51 year old Ambassador has never had heat-related issues. It's had generator, regulator, timing, condenser, carburetor, clutch cable, choke, rear drive, fuel petcock, and ignition issues. But never any problems with overheating.

Can't really overheat if it keeps breaking down, right? Kidding. Love that old lady.

7100A907-F9AF-49A1-846E-ACBCD4D3A239.png

Speaking personally, my 51 year old Ambassador has never had heat-related issues. It's had generator, regulator, timing, condenser, carburetor, clutch cable, choke, rear drive, fuel petcock, and ignition issues. But never any problems with overheating.

Can't really overheat if it keeps breaking down, right? Kidding. Love that old lady.

View attachment 2267
Beautiful bike man.

OK, I rode a Heritage softail. The heat from the rear cylinder was blowing on my right leg. Two inches from my leg is the top of the valve cover and finns on the head.
Never knew this.
Driving it back 54 miles tomorrow morning.
David

Well, it was 54 this morning when I left for work on the Big V Twin. I was cold, legs mostly. When I got the next town and slowed down, I could feel the heat again on the back side of my legs. So its hot.

Then, today on the way HOME from work, I rode the 99 gold wing. Hotter yet. 79* f outside.

Tomorrow for my hour + ride to work along a creek and all county rods, I take the R18 !

David

Im not surprised. Ive owned a boxer BMW of different sorts for 30 years. They run cool. push comes to shove i could rest my legs on a 750 boxer head. Disclosure: dont do that with this one its a little warmer and may melt a boot

I have always been interested how in the heat of summer how the boxer makes very little perceived heat. whats weird is you can notice it in colder weather and its nice

Back