Extra gear

Lunasea2

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Ok. I'm a long time, long distance touring guy. I rode a R1200GS forever and I enjoyed camping in some remote places. The config of the R1200 with hard panniers but no top box was perfect for carrying a big bag with camping gear. While I now prefer super slab touring (versus off road), my new R18TC with top box is gonna be awkward for loading up my camping gear bag. I'm looking at a cylindrical shaped bag that would be carried in an upright position but it will add even more weight up higher on the heavy bike. Any thoughts?

Ok. I'm a long time, long distance touring guy. I rode a R1200GS forever and I enjoyed camping in some remote places. The config of the R1200 with hard panniers but no top box was perfect for carrying a big bag with camping gear. While I now prefer super slab touring (versus off road), my new R18TC with top box is gonna be awkward for loading up my camping gear bag. I'm looking at a cylindrical shaped bag that would be carried in an upright position but it will add even more weight up higher on the heavy bike. Any thoughts?
Why not pack on top of the saddlebags keeping the weight lower to the center of gravity

Agreed... Get down sleeping bag(s) and such; they pack down to a small size, and are light weight - go with titanium camping gear and use the side cases... Use the rear top box as your essential go to storage.

I would be so scared to get scratches on the hard panniers! Some on the forum have said that the R18 paint scratches easily...
They make small racks to put on them, or you can put clear plastic paint protectors on the top of the lid, if they get scratched you just peel if off and replace with new

They make small racks to put on them, or you can put clear plastic paint protectors on the top of the lid, if they get scratched you just peel if off and replace with new
hey R2... where do i find the clear plastic paint protectors??? (and thanks for the tip)

Back