Feel free to convince me

Fatboy

Nice to meet you all. Greetings from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I'm about to trade in my HD Fat Boy for an R18. I'm in love with the looks of the R18 but I'm still a bit hesitant because I'm not completely convinced that this bike is designed for my height. I returned from a two-hour test drive without significant back or knee problems, but nevertheless I would also like to hear the experiences from taller folks on this forum. Maybe you can give me the necessary push? I'd value your opinion.

I'm 6'2' 190cm
200 lbs

The stock seat killed me.I did think the pegs insead of floor boards but,I like the pegs.Lota roomto move.
Oh,Corbin dual tour heated works for me.

I am 6’ 2’’ 250 pounds and I purchased the Mustang cross country seat with back rest and that took care of any discomfort on my back and bottom. I switched pegs to floorboards and that made it easier on my knees. Still feel cramped when shifting particularly when down shifting. Without these modifications I would not be able to ride the bike comfortably. I will add I have been riding motorcycles legally for 50 years so all those body part mentioned are aged. This is my R18 FE kinda proud of it and like showing off given the opportunity. E97EC46E-FA92-43EB-B9E7-B5459B007220.jpeg

I am 6’ 2’’ 250 pounds and I purchased the Mustang cross country seat with back rest and that took care of any discomfort on my back and bottom. I switched pegs to floorboards and that made it easier on my knees. Still feel cramped when shifting particularly when down shifting. Without these modifications I would not be able to ride the bike comfortably. I will add I have been riding motorcycles legally for 50 years so all those body part mentioned are aged. This is my R18 FE kinda proud of it and like showing off given the opportunity. View attachment 3277
Thanks. Your bike is a beauty. I like the Corbin saddlebags. Worth considering as well. Again, thanks

Reactions: R2K
6’ 2” 260 lbs and perfectly comfortable with the stock seat. Limit is 200 miles though and that comfort erodes pretty quickly. Have come from an Indian Chief and a Road King Special. Thought I would miss the forward controls and footboards. Love the mid controls and the pegs. Feel totally in control of the bike.

Greetings Fatboy. I guess I'm the short guy here at 6'1". The stock seat's a killer but there are options aplenty. The only other discomfort I'm encountering with longer rides is, strange as this sounds, the arches of my feet. I think there's something about the angle on the pegs? It's a new sensation.

Nice to meet you all. Greetings from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I'm about to trade in my HD Fat Boy for an R18. I'm in love with the looks of the R18 but I'm still a bit hesitant because I'm not completely convinced that this bike is designed for my height. I returned from a two-hour test drive without significant back or knee problems, but nevertheless I would also like to hear the experiences from taller folks on this forum. Maybe you can give me the necessary push? I'd value your opinion.
I am 6‘2 and I am used to either a GS, where I can almost stretch my legs straight down to ride:). My Harley and all my cruisers had forward controls. I wanted the R18 and actually did not buy it because of the impossible riding position… then I took one out for a 200 mile ride. It is so weird but that riding position just works. In actuality it’s a not unlike riding a gold wing. I have been through three tanks of gas in a day so far with no discomfort.

now… the suspension is a bit harsh and the stock seat is awful. But you want slammed, the shock will be a bit stiff. The Seat… no one ever made a stock seat that was good, ever. The stock seat would be ok with an airjawk or my Alaska leather sheepskin… but I will probably buy a good tan leather memory foam seat, or have a guy I know rebuild the stock seat for comfort.

All things considered, BMW is incenting buyers to buy. I have had reliability issues with my bike but they are nearly sorted out. I have 4,000 miles on my R18 and love it and I’m comfortable

Ik ben 1,85cm en heb wel een ander zadel genomen op mijn FE, ik heb een Corbin zadel en nu ongeveer 9000km gereden. Bevalt mij steeds beter. Er zijn in Amsterdam en omgeving meer mensen met een FE. Ze zijn lid van BMWCruiser.nl

I am 6‘2 and I am used to either a GS, where I can almost stretch my legs straight down to ride:). My Harley and all my cruisers had forward controls. I wanted the R18 and actually did not buy it because of the impossible riding position… then I took one out for a 200 mile ride. It is so weird but that riding position just works. In actuality it’s a not unlike riding a gold wing. I have been through three tanks of gas in a day so far with no discomfort.

now… the suspension is a bit harsh and the stock seat is awful. But you want slammed, the shock will be a bit stiff. The Seat… no one ever made a stock seat that was good, ever. The stock seat would be ok with an airjawk or my Alaska leather sheepskin… but I will probably buy a good tan leather memory foam seat, or have a guy I know rebuild the stock seat for comfort.

All things considered, BMW is incenting buyers to buy. I have had reliability issues with my bike but they are nearly sorted out. I have 4,000 miles on my R18 and love it and I’m comfortable

Ik ben 1,85cm en heb wel een ander zadel genomen op mijn FE, ik heb een Corbin zadel en nu ongeveer 9000km gereden. Bevalt mij steeds beter. Er zijn in Amsterdam en omgeving meer mensen met een FE. Ze zijn lid van BMWCruiser.nl
Bedankt voor de tip. Kan ik je bellen?

I too had concerns about comfort being 6’3” 245 lbs. w/ 34” inseam. Especially after reading all the initial road tests. But after getting the opportunity to ride an R18 at a demo event here in Milwaukee those concerns were set aside.
Now I will qualify what my needs and expectations are. I have an Indian Roadmaster for long range touring so my rides on the R18 will be limited to about 200 miles tops. For that range I will not need to change anything as far the OEM seat, bars, risers or pegs. I have to echo another post here, this bike just seems to work. I didn’t think that would be the case for me but I find no comfort issues for my build and needs.

FB, zeker doen... denk niet dat grootte veel verschil maakt... ik ben maar 168... was/is de eerste classic in Maastricht en heb dr al het eea aan verbeterd en dus ook het zadel vervangen door een mustang cross-country

I’m a long time HD owner it depends on what generation of fat boy you have and engine size that will determine my advise and how far you ride in a day. Please share
Rhonda

6'6" and 255lbs. It took a little while to get used to the seating position, but now I'm comfortable with it after changing the angle of the handle bars. At 63 and stiff like a board at times I have to say I have been in a lot less comfortable positions in my life than being on the R18.

Are you convinced ?:cool:

Back