First Ride 2021 Classic vs....

WaydeG

I had the opportunity to ride today for about an hour and fifteen minutes on a variety of surfaces. Divided highway, back roads and rural blacktop. Here's my initial impression.
I have a few tweaks to make like adjusting the handle bars, brake and clutch levers, rear suspension and a more butt friendly seat. Given the newness and my expectations, I was more than pleased, I was thrilled. On the initial ride home, (last Tuesday in a 25+mph cross wind) I kept it in Roll mode just to be safe. Today was spent entirely in Rock mode and I felt an obvious difference in pull. The torque on this beast is not over-stated. It put a smile on my face. The wind wasn't as big of an issue from the OEM screen as I felt others may have experienced. My point of reference was my Road Glide with a MadStad two piece touring windshield. No real helmet turbulence/wobble at 65-70mph. I much prefer the handling of the BMW compared to the Road Glide, especially in the sweeping back road turns. I was surprised at just how easy it glided through the curves at 55-65mph. A quick push down on the inside handle bar dipped it into the curve and then it deftly popped its head up coming out and away we went looking forward to the next zig or zag. Despite every YouTuber commenting on just how heavy the R18 is, the weight is well distributed and handling was better than comparative bikes I test drove. I would venture to say that half the critics have never ridden the R18 or just don't know what really constitutes a heavy motorcycle.

Here's where I really noticed and appreciated the difference. The Road Glide kinda floated down the road much like (I only imagine) a big heavy limo or Mercedes sedan. The Road Glide's frame mounted fairing was like a rocket ship, unwavering in almost any wind be it mother nature or an over ambitious 18 wheeler flying by. You don't feel the bumps but you also don't get a feel for the road. And that's what had me grinning inside my Scorpion helmet listening to U2's Joshua Tree. The BMW let me feel the road and not in a bad way. I felt connected much like the old Z1 900 from my youth, just much more comfortable and refined. The riding position was comfortable and was more reminiscent of a Bonneville or an older Honda CB1100. The adjustment to the handlebars and maybe a 1" riser will put me in an even more upright position which for me will give me more miles on a less aching back vs forward controls.

Now the seat. While adequate, for 1-2 hour jaunts it will not allow me to make a road trip from my beloved Ft Worth, Texas to say Austin or a trek to OKC. I'm leaning toward the fastback or the Weekender for extended comfort. A simple rear rack will allow me to add a few extras for overnights as the factory bags are somewhat limiting on storage. I found the controls to be easy to roll through once you knew what you're looking for and the trip odometer is handy when there's no gas gauge (really? on a MSRP $24k motorcycle?). I used the cruise control for only short stints to take a break as I'm still in the break in mode. Worked like champ and I'm more than glad I went with the Classic vs the Pure if for no other reason. The 16" tire made the handling and ride better than advertised.

At some point, many touring bikes have become sterile. Too automatic with little feel for the road, too many creature comforts, riders aghast at any type of wind and electronics that border on pre-Alexa technology. With the R18 Classic, I almost felt as if I was riding a vintage bike. Almost. The position, the feel, the looks. Once again I find myself wiping her down (haven't named her yet) after the ride, pouring a few fingers of EH Taylor and sitting on my garage stool grinning like a 21 year old who just parked his Z1 in the garage.

Last edited:
Thanks for this great review, @WaydeG ! I just put a deposit down on a 2021 R18 Classic First Edition. Can't wait to pick up my new bike!

I've been riding a 2004 R1200C Montauk for a while. I enjoy that bike but it's a lot lighter than the R18. I'm also 6-4 and 225 lbs with a 34-inch inseam. How about you? Any problems with the seating position on the bike?

Thanks!

I had the opportunity to ride today for about an hour and fifteen minutes on a variety of surfaces. Divided highway, back roads and rural blacktop. Here's my initial impression.
I have a few tweaks to make like adjusting the handle bars, brake and clutch levers, rear suspension and a more butt friendly seat. Given the newness and my expectations, I was more than pleased, I was thrilled. On the initial ride home, (last Tuesday in a 25+mph cross wind) I kept it in Roll mode just to be safe. Today was spent entirely in Rock mode and I felt an obvious difference in pull. The torque on this beast is not over-stated. It put a smile on my face. The wind wasn't as big of an issue from the OEM screen as I felt others may have experienced. My point of reference was my Road Glide with a MadStad two piece touring windshield. No real helmet turbulence/wobble at 65-70mph. I much prefer the handling of the BMW compared to the Road Glide, especially in the sweeping back road turns. I was surprised at just how easy it glided through the curves at 55-65mph. A quick push down on the inside handle bar dipped it into the curve and then it deftly popped its head up coming out and away we went looking forward to the next zig or zag. Despite every YouTuber commenting on just how heavy the R18 is, the weight is well distributed and handling was better than comparative bikes I test drove. I would venture to say that half the critics have never ridden the R18 or just don't know what really constitutes a heavy motorcycle.

Here's where I really noticed and appreciated the difference. The Road Glide kinda floated down the road much like (I only imagine) a big heavy limo or Mercedes sedan. The Road Glide's frame mounted fairing was like a rocket ship, unwavering in almost any wind be it mother nature or an over ambitious 18 wheeler flying by. You don't feel the bumps but you also don't get a feel for the road. And that's what had me grinning inside my Scorpion helmet listening to U2's Joshua Tree. The BMW let me feel the road and not in a bad way. I felt connected much like the old Z1 900 from my youth, just much more comfortable and refined. The riding position was comfortable and was more reminiscent of a Bonneville or an older Honda CB1100. The adjustment to the handlebars and maybe a 1" riser will put me in an even more upright position which for me will give me more miles on a less aching back vs forward controls.

Now the seat. While adequate, for 1-2 hour jaunts it will not allow me to make a road trip from my beloved Ft Worth, Texas to say Austin or a trek to OKC. I'm leaning toward the fastback or the Weekender for extended comfort. A simple rear rack will allow me to add a few extras for overnights as the factory bags are somewhat limiting on storage. I found the controls to be easy to roll through once you knew what you're looking for and the trip odometer is handy when there's no gas gauge (really? on a MSRP $24k motorcycle?). I used the cruise control for only short stints to take a break as I'm still in the break in mode. Worked like champ and I'm more than glad I went with the Classic vs the Pure if for no other reason. The 16" tire made the handling and ride better than advertised.

At some point, many touring bikes have become sterile. Too automatic with little feel for the road, too many creature comforts, riders aghast at any type of wind and electronics that border on pre-Alexa technology. With the R18 Classic, I almost felt as if I was riding a vintage bike. Almost. The position, the feel, the looks. Once again I find myself wiping her down (haven't named her yet) after the ride, pouring a few fingers of EH Taylor and sitting on my garage stool grinning like a 21 year old who just parked his Z1 in the garage.
I got the Weekender for my Classic and can confirm it is a substantial upgrade from the stock seat. Like you I found the stock seat was starting to feel uncomfortable after about 45 minutes, but the Weekender was still comfy after 2 hours straight.

I know others have commented on the gas gauge too. While I have had them on a few of my bikes, I’ve never found them particularly accurate. I found the trip meter and reserve light/petcock were much more consistent. The R18 has a nice feature beyond the reserve light in that it shows miles ridden past reserve. I’ve found that ~40 miles past reserve light would be empty, which is usually plenty of time to find a station. If I reset the trip meter in each tank, I typically hit reserve at about 130 miles. If you are lighter on the throttle you could get more, but I’ve found expecting to refill at 130-150 miles gives me enough visibility to plan for stops.

@nielsm Since I haven't picked up my bike from the dealership yet, I wonder if I can ask them to substitute the Weekender seat for the stock seat at no charge?

I've heard others say they asked the dealer to swap out the stock seat for a higher seat meant to accommodate taller riders like me. But I wonder whether that's a reference to the Weekender seat or something different?

@nielsm Since I haven't picked up my bike from the dealership yet, I wonder if I can ask them to substitute the Weekender seat for the stock seat at no charge?

I've heard others say they asked the dealer to swap out the stock seat for a higher seat meant to accommodate taller riders like me. But I wonder whether that's a reference to the Weekender seat or something different?
The seat on the Classic is taller than that on the Pure and some dealers might swap a stock seat from one bike to another. The Weekender is a $650 aftermarket accessory seat, so it’s doubtful that a dealer would do a no cost swap in the same way.

As an FYI, I’m 6’4” and the stock Classic seat is about the same or taller than the Weekender. The benefit of the Weekender is it is wider so it provides more support and it is also a different profile.

My suggestion would be to try the stock seat to see if it works for you (perhaps even with an Airhawk). If it doesn’t there are several options for seats out there. I liked the Weekender as I could use it without a pillion and it wasn’t quite as big looking as some like the Cross Country or a Russell Day Long even though they are likely even more comfortable. It’s always a tradeoff between a good looking seat on the bike and a good riding seat with options across the spectrum.

Thanks for this great review, @WaydeG ! I just put a deposit down on a 2021 R18 Classic First Edition. Can't wait to pick up my new bike!

I've been riding a 2004 R1200C Montauk for a while. I enjoy that bike but it's a lot lighter than the R18. I'm also 6-4 and 225 lbs with a 34-inch inseam. How about you? Any problems with the seating position on the bike?

Thanks!
6'4" 220lbs 33" insweam. It fit just fine. I will be adding crash bars with either a footrest added as part of the design or highway pegs that I will add myself. Im adding the fastback seat for a little more comfort while keeping the seat height at 27".

I got the Weekender for my Classic and can confirm it is a substantial upgrade from the stock seat. Like you I found the stock seat was starting to feel uncomfortable after about 45 minutes, but the Weekender was still comfy after 2 hours straight.

I know others have commented on the gas gauge too. While I have had them on a few of my bikes, I’ve never found them particularly accurate. I found the trip meter and reserve light/petcock were much more consistent. The R18 has a nice feature beyond the reserve light in that it shows miles ridden past reserve. I’ve found that ~40 miles past reserve light would be empty, which is usually plenty of time to find a station. If I reset the trip meter in each tank, I typically hit reserve at about 130 miles. If you are lighter on the throttle you could get more, but I’ve found expecting to refill at 130-150 miles gives me enough visibility to plan for stops.
The gas gauge is a minor annoyance. I use the trip meter as well.

Back