Fishtail

Howdy all,

I just wanted to make a warning about using cruise control in wet weather. I personally don’t really trust it off the bat in the rain, but with broken hands it is good to get off the throttle sometimes. Anyhow this has happened to me twice on my R18. The first was mild and the second severe. Both times in the rain, on a straight section of highway, at 85km/h, in rain mode and encountering a slick patch of road. The first time out was just a small break loose. The second time the bike fishtailed violently throwing me partially off the saddle. I tried to improve my position on the bike to disable the cruise control, but before I could the road surface improved and the fishtailing stopped. It was like the cruise control and asc were at war with each other.

Anyhow I love the bike in every other way but my cruise control will never be activated in the rain ever again.

Last edited:
I had the traction control fail me. It was raining. I selected RAIN mode. Going up a small hill turning left. Rear tire broke loose. Traction control did not interfere. I let off the throttle.
David

Howdy all,

I just wanted to make a warning about using cruise control in wet weather. I personally don’t really trust it off the bat in the rain, but with broken hands it is good to get off the throttle sometimes. Anyhow this has happened to me twice on my R18. The first was mild and the second severe. Both times in the rain, on a straight section of highway, at 85km/h, in rain mode and encountering a slick patch of road. The first time out was just a small break loose. The second time the bike fishtailed violently throwing me partially off the saddle. I tried to improve my position on the bike to disable the cruise control, but before I could the road surface improved and the fishtailing stopped. It was like the cruise control and asc were at war with each other.

Anyhow I love the bike in every other way but my cruise control will never be activated in the rain ever again.
It is good that you got to learn that lesson while keeping the shiny side up!!

It is good that you got to learn that lesson while keeping the shiny side up!!
I am quite happy that it didn’t end with the bike down as it was quite out of control. I may be mistaken, but I was messing around on a mates new Multisteada recently and it seemed as soon as the asc kicked in on that thing the cruise control switched off. That would have been a much better arrangement. It is also possible that it was a patch of oil or diesel in which case I couldn’t say for sure whether the bike performed well or poorly. Anyhow I just wanted to mention the experience for the benefit of others.

Cruise will kick off if traction control kicks in. Apparently your traction control failed you big time. , maybe even get it looked at.

This is noted in the manual.
David

Howdy all,

Hi Simonmmm,

I have just again experienced the exact same issue, ie travelling in wet weather on a freeway when suddenly there is a smooth, shiny patch of bitumen and the bike violently fishtails to the extent that you feel like you're going to be thrown off. At the time, I had virtually resolved in my mind that the bike was going to completely lose traction and it was going to slide out beneath me. Fortunately, the bike corrected itself and I stayed on. However, it is certainly a scary experience and very glad that I didn't have a pillion on the bike with me as I reckon we would have certainly come off. I can't recall if I had cruise control on at the time but I was travelling about 95kms per hour on a straight section of a freeway. It's not a tyre issue as I have had it with both Michelin Commander III tyres and now Bridgestone H50 tyres. I'm going to get it checked out with my local BMW Motorrad dealer but sounds like it could be a wider issue with the R18. Like you, I love riding the R18 although I'm going to be a bit hesitant/cautious next time I'm out on a highway in wet weather.

You’ll have to be more specific with exact circumstances. Cruising on a light throttle down a straight road at modest speed (approx 60mph) there is no reason for the bike to violently fishtail? The engine will hardly be spinning in 5th or especially 6th. They ride arrow straight and rock solid. Makes no sense.

I rode one time in a gully gusher / toad strangler and resolved to park the bike when it's raining. I haven't ridden in the rain in decades.

You’ll have to be more specific with exact circumstances. Cruising on a light throttle down a straight road at modest speed (approx 60mph) there is no reason for the bike to violently fishtail? The engine will hardly be spinning in 5th or especially 6th. They ride arrow straight and rock solid. Makes no sense.
Hi Rufus, I understand that it makes no sense but that is what happened. The road surface was wet but like I said I wasn't speeding at all and it was a straight section of freeway. Unfortunately, the road surfaces here in the State of Victoria (Australia) do get very slippery due to very poor road maintenance/construction. However, I do not understand why my R18 suddenly and unexpectedly fishtailed like that but it did. I am certainly going to follow up with my BMW dealer about this and will do a follow up post. Meanwhile, I think it's important for others to be aware of this.

Thank you for the feedback Paul.
I have ridden my B on a few occasions when wet ( I have got caught out in the rain)
When this happens I will automatically go to Rain mode to get less wheel spin and more traction as well as adapting my riding style to compensate for the poor weather conditions.

Poorly maintained roads and water/oil or diesel spills are a really bad combination.
Not on my B but on my M109R a few years ago I had a holly crap moment crossing Tower Bridge. It was raining and I went over a diesel patch that I only saw at the very last second. Speed was around 30mph, yet, that was enough to make my fat rear tyre wobble a little bit.
Another factor will be tyre pressure. Over inflated rubber will have less grip.
To be in the safe side, do have the bike checked by the dealership, not harm on that and peace of mind but consider as well all the factos as this may easily explain your scary moment. I am saying this in case the dealership tells you that nothing is wrong with your bike.
Ride safely mate.

I've only used the adaptive cruise control a handful of times, where it works pretty well when riding alone and it's tracking vehicles out front; however, I found it a little clumsy when riding amongst other riders within a staggered formation...

I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain, I'll try and avoid it at all cost; this is mostly due to the fact, that cleaning the bike afterwards will suck..

The bike fishtailing doesn't make sense based on the description (rain, rain mode = ON, straight path, cruise control=ON, etc.); I have to believe that perhaps the cruise control was accelerating, causing the rear wheel to break free. I use the BMW connect app for each of my rides; I would love to know if any of you guys had it recording during those rides where you experienced the fishtailing? If so, it would be interesting to review the data from the app at that specific moment... (See attached example)

BTW - fishtailing unexpectedly sucks... Me personally.. hopefully I wearing brown pants if it happens to me, because that sounds like a scary moment.

Screenshot_20240410-064204.png

Normally in the rain, I will not use the cruise due to the bike likes to continue at the same speed whether straight or curve. Not a issue on dry roads, but wet or oily could play into some hairy situations. I also do not like being on my R18 in the rain because cleanup is a pain, but my first 100 mile ride home from the dealer was in the rain. Seems like everytime I have to take it in for servicing it is raining also.... I am really starting to like the Connected app, a big learning curve on using it, but like Scott pointed out, I love the information you get from your rides.

Same here regarding ACC.
To be honest I much prefer to ride the bike manually and this is mainly because I have not had the chance to really put some decent mileage in one go. If I were to do some cross country riding then I would probably use it on the motorways.

Definitely no way for the bike to react if on ACC and riding over a slippery surface.

Normally in the rain, I will not use the cruise due to the bike likes to continue at the same speed whether straight or curve. Not a issue on dry roads, but wet or oily could play into some hairy situations. out, I love the information you get from your rides.
My unasked for opinion: harrisrc740 is correct.....I would never whether on a bike or in a car, ever drive with cruise control on in a pouring rain...too many crazy drivers out there, unknown road surfaces, visability, etc.. simonmmm's negative experience should be a positive lesson for all ! Thank you simonmmm!

Looking at this from another perspective. If the bike rides fine (in the rain) and in every other way but only has had this issue on one patch of road/tarmac or whatever it is it’s not the bike is it? It’s the road surface that must be exhibiting something unusual. By all means get your bike checked out but perhaps emailing or writing to whoever is responsible for the road is a better idea.

Reason I say this, there’s a straight stretch road about 11/2 miles long that’s not that far from me. It suffers from subsidence, at first glance it seems fine but when you actually drive down it or ride over it your vehicle really moves about under you in very unnerving ways, even in the dry. When it’s wet it’s much more pronounced and when it’s frosty or got snow on it it’s properly butt clenching because it’s feels like you are on the brink of doing a 360 into the hedge. Honestly.

I have to take this road often especially in the early mornings so I’m aware of it and sometimes drive like a granny until I’m past it. Many cars have spun off into the ditch over the years.

Point is. This may well be a similar scenario. Dodgy road surface especially in the wet. Not the bike. 🤷‍♂️

Looking at this from another perspective. If the bike rides fine (in the rain) and in every other way but only has had this issue on one patch of road/tarmac or whatever it is it’s not the bike is it? It’s the road surface that must be exhibiting something unusual. By all means get your bike checked out but perhaps emailing or writing to whoever is responsible for the road is a better idea.

Reason I say this, there’s a straight stretch road about 11/2 miles long that’s not that far from me. It suffers from subsidence, at first glance it seems fine but when you actually drive down it or ride over it your vehicle really moves about under you in very unnerving ways, even in the dry. When it’s wet it’s much more pronounced and when it’s frosty or got snow on it it’s properly butt clenching because it’s feels like you are on the brink of doing a 360 into the hedge. Honestly.

I have to take this road often especially in the early mornings so I’m aware of it and sometimes drive like a granny until I’m past it. Many cars have spun off into the ditch over the years.

Point is. This may well be a similar scenario. Dodgy road surface especially in the wet. Not the bike. 🤷‍♂️
+1

Hi Rufus, I certainly agree with you. Undoubtedly the road surface was the major contributing factor.

Back