Fitment Check - R18 TC Seat on R18 B?

adamchandler

I want to get this part number, "52538375110" and install it on my bike which is a bagger - https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...-seat-comfort-heated-black-760-mm-52538375110

Main reason is to keep the OEM heat but add some padding for longer riders. This year or next, I want to do Route 66 and need a seat that can get more than 300 miles a day which is my limit on the Bagger.

I saw on the Road Styler website, they have a B that appears to be running a TC 719 seat which gave me hope but BMW's site says it's not compatible with my VIN. I emailed road styler as well:

vLtx7Op.jpeg
3clbq7J.png
RPPHY2e.png
M0nkbDu.png

That's a TC seat with 719 stitching on a Bagger so I think the two will work.

Last edited:
I have purchased the Transcontinental comfort seat (760MM) with heat. I'll report back if it works. BMW dealer said they'd take it back unscathed so I'll just be careful test fitting it. List of TC seat options below:

VEKLIq8.png

I want to get this part number, "52538375110" and install it on my bike which is a bagger - https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...-seat-comfort-heated-black-760-mm-52538375110

Main reason is to keep the OEM heat but add some padding for longer riders. This year or next, I want to do Route 66 and need a seat that can get more than 300 miles a day which is my limit on the Bagger.

I saw on the Road Styler website, they have a B that appears to be running a TC 719 seat which gave me hope but BMW's site says it's not compatible with my VIN. I emailed road styler as well:

vLtx7Op.jpeg
3clbq7J.png
RPPHY2e.png
M0nkbDu.png

I don't see why it wouldn't. The B & TC are the same bike. Only difference is the TC comes with a top case and some wind deflectors and some trim differences. Just like the Pure & Classic are the same bike, but the Classic comes with footboards, panniers, windshield & Cruise control. It's really 2 models (Cruiser & Fairing) with some option packages to create 2 additional "models". There can be some fitment issues for parts interchange but those are foreseeable. Like a B seat might not work with a TC since it could interfere with the top case or the Classic panniers don't fit on the Pure because the exhaust would interfere.

Adam, I have had my TC for over a month and noticed that the seat is noticeable more comfortable now at 1,000 miles than when new. I guess even seats have a break in period.

The bagger hasn't improved for me unfortunately. 1800 miles now and I just can't do more than 2-3 hours. I want to do Route 66 in September so I'm making very small modifications to make that trip possible on the bagger. Top case soft bag, leg rests, larger seat and larger windscreen.

At this point, I have spent enough to have just gotten a TC and have that free top case...sigh that's a buyers regret. If you are going to buy a bagger (anyone else reading this) and want to tour on it, just get the TC. You'll be happier.

Another thought Adam.......
I have been toying with the idea of taking the top box off. Would it mount on the R18B? Would the top box frame bars and fasteners transfer over?
I chose the TC for the engine protection bars, chrome front forks, lower wind deflectors in winter, larger wind screen, better seat, etc.

I have been toying with the idea of taking the top box off. Would it mount on the R18B? Would the top box frame bars and fasteners transfer over?
I chose the TC for the engine protection bars, chrome front forks, lower wind deflectors in winter, larger wind screen, better seat, etc.

You have peaked my interest. I purchased a $199 27L Soft bag from BMW and a Road Styler rear backrest + rack (seen in the photos above). so I'm basically spending about $500 to get some storage behind me.

Let me dig into the BMW Parts Fiche to figure out what wiring is required

Looking through everything, I believe the only thing missing is the wiring harness so I'll take my seat off later and see if the connector I need is there. May go to my dealer and see a TC and trace where the top case harness goes.

O2TDf4Q.png

as much as I like this idea, I'd recommend anyone remember your VIN is still TC so when you go to trade it or sell it, you're going to be selling a TC that isn't a TC so I'm happing to take this to private message if you want.

For your reference, the other parts:
3jtZk6w.png
7OlbJHS.png
SEkWM5L.png

The bagger hasn't improved for me unfortunately. 1800 miles now and I just can't do more than 2-3 hours. I want to do Route 66 in September so I'm making very small modifications to make that trip possible on the bagger. Top case soft bag, leg rests, larger seat and larger windscreen.

At this point, I have spent enough to have just gotten a TC and have that free top case...sigh that's a buyers regret. If you are going to buy a bagger (anyone else reading this) and want to tour on it, just get the TC. You'll be happier.
I sense you are in a ‘spot’ here. Funny the very best adventure tip I ever got, was “ when something goes to shit it the middle of nowhere, stop. Make yourself a cup of tea and then come back”. It is remarkable how this has served me.

My 2 cents, and you get what you paid for. Take a beat and slow down.

- Seat comfort is subjective. BMW seats are renown for not fitting anyone well. It is also true that throwing money at another off the rack seat may only feel better on your ass because your wallet is thinner. (Side bar, I have that suit and the seat seems are unbearable on pavement trips )

- wind protection is a rabbit hole. Clean air no windshield rides are better than most people give them credit for once the rider adjusts. That said having anything get wind off your chest is perfect and less tiring for touring. Anything more tho and you chase the buffeting problem as long as your wallet allows. You will be fine. Enjoy the ride

- storage. I seriously suspect that with your experience and with a paved road oriented trip you can pull it off with the two side cases you have. (You know you secretly don’t like the look of a rear top case lol ). And if you just can’t make it work, stay away from Moto gear. Buy a couple Ortlieb or other good quality waterproof duffles that will sit back there and you can also nicely use as plane luggage or something off the bike.

You bought this baby because you loved the look and feel. Don’t try to make it something it is not.

Now back to your regular programming.

vLtx7Op.jpeg
3clbq7J.png
RPPHY2e.png
M0nkbDu.png

You'll have no issues with the TC seat on your B. Only difference is you'll have an easier install not having to remove trunk back rest bolts to access rear screw.

IT WORKS! EVEN SUPPORTS THE PILLION SEAT. So when plugged in, it works up to the 5 levels and when I switched the pillion seat on 1 or 2 heat, it shows on the TFT just like it's supposed to. Plug & Play, works perfectly.

mwFG7gI.jpg

OEM:
4SOJlf3.jpg

TC:
xOUO9wl.jpg
KeXI8uW.jpg
ZAnawXW.jpg
Ttgi1vz.jpg

It most definitely ruins the 'bagger look' especially from the rear but hopefully I can ride more than 300 miles in a day without pain once it's broken in. The crotch area is much thicker.

Here are some pics of how the top box is wired. Index finger touches wire bundle from top box.

1.jpg
2)

2.jpg
3)

3.jpg
4)
4.jpg
5.jpg

For those following along at home, Here's my Bagger showing the wires I have that connect into the top box:
LPhktdV.jpeg

I'm wired for the TC. The Bagger & TC loom are the same part numbers and I have 2 unused connectors that go straight back.

..interesting.

Years from now, this thread will help someone :)

Love my Bagger the only only draw back would be the weight of the Trans and i did consider the Trans but it is a bit heavier only would be mostly commuting > love your videos by the way

Love my Bagger the only only draw back would be the weight of the Trans and i did consider the Trans but it is a bit heavier only would mostly commuting >

There have been a few times since getting this bike I've wanted a place to lock my helmet in the top box. That's the biggest draw to adding a box.

I know of a situation where that is happening. The frame under the top case bolts to the R18B frame and then the topbox bolts to that.
The wiring for the topbox is under the seat of the R18B. On the B they folded it in half and zip tied it out of the way.

Back