Floorboards & Heel Shifter Installation

enzo5000

It seemed an easy enough job after assembling the floorboard bits. I wondered why 4 new mounting bolts were included with the floorboard kit....I soon found out why!

The bolts holding the OEM foot pegs on were torqued so high and BMW used so much thread locker that it took almost 90 minutes to remove 4 bolts. A heat gun, an impact wrench, a 3lb. sledge hammer, an 18" breaker bar, an air wrench and a pair of vise grips later and I finally got them off, destroying two of them in the process. If you are planning on this mod, I hope your foot peg bolts aren't on as tight as mine were.

R18_Floorboard&Heel_Shifter_sm.jpgR18_mangled_bolts.jpg

Last edited:
The bolts are not torqued to a high value.
All the foot peg and exhataust bracket mounting bolts are assemble with Red Loctite, not Blue.
Big difference between Red(permanent) and Blue(removable)
Heat the the bolts and frame with a heat gun, approximately 280 degrees F and they come right out.
Came loose with a 12" long 3/8" ratchet, no damage what so ever.
And yes, I did measure the temperature with an Infra red thermometer.

Last edited:
Then 220 F would do the trick. Key thing to remember, heat, not a sledge hammer or a gorilla bar, is your friend when Loctite is involved,

A 10mm bolt specs out at 35lb ft or 50 N-M, dry threads, the grip is do to the holding force of the Loctite, not the initial toque, heat is your friend.
BMW wants $9.94 each for those bolts.

Last edited:
The floorboards are a lot more comfortable for sure. They add maybe an inch more leg extension, but not much. The heel shifter lever could be larger, but I see why they made it short so you don’t accidentally upshift.

Last edited:
Looking at the parts fiche at Max BMW, https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=61577&rnd=09082020, this can be purchased cheaper as separate parts than it can as in "Kit Form"
$794 plus made another $50 for the spring and pin = $850 plus or minus. For the pats you list.
Versus the $1240 for the kit, it must include new shifter and brake pedals as well, not list in your invoice, to make up the price difference.

It seemed an easy enough job after assembling the floorboard bits. I wondered why 4 new mounting bolts were included with the floorboard kit....I soon found out why!

The bolts holding the OEM foot pegs on were torqued so high and BMW used so much thread locker that it took almost 90 minutes to remove 4 bolts. A heat gun, an impact wrench, a 3lb. sledge hammer, an 18" breaker bar, an air wrench and a pair of vise grips later and I finally got them off, destroying two of them in the process. If you are planning on this mod, I hope your foot peg bolts aren't on as tight as mine were.

View attachment 856View attachment 857

Do you have the picture that show how the brake pedal side? I want to see how you install the brake pedal i found out that the distance between brake pedal is different than before.

View attachment 856View attachment 857
As the picture showing, the footrest plate for the footboard is diffenernt than the original one. How can i fit the brake pedal on it without stuck?

Attachments

• 1602301480.jpg
    1602301480.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 43
Some detail photos of my floorboard installation. Since the brakes are linked anyway, I fabbed a shorter, smaller rear brake pedal to give my size 12 boots more wiggle room.

floorboards.jpg

Back