For Those Who Do Their Own Service Work (Including the Running-in Check)

Gaylord Poe

Premium Member
I will be doing my first service in just a very few miles (Rider's Manual states 300 - 750 miles); and I am approaching the outer limit. I've waited in hopes that the Mother Ship would've released their Repair Manual DVD by now (bought bike in late November but the cold wet Ohio winter made storage the best option for a windshield-less bike) but I can't wait much longer. I have done my own service meticulously for 3 decades but never without a shop manual. So...BMW MOA has excellent videos that are of a great help and the Rider's Manual has the info I need for fluids and other specs but what I haven't been able to find anywhere yet is a definitive list of what BMW does for the running-in check on an R18. Of course oil and filter change, check all fasteners for proper torque, an overall check end to end, and (whether required or not) I'm changing the final drive fluid. Not sure if the transmission fluid needs changed or not. Do any of you have an "official" running-in check list for the R18? Or perhaps a list of services performed from a paid receipt to a shop? I just want to document fully and don't want to miss anything.

The Running In Check is basically an oil & filter change, final drive (bevel gear) oil change and a fastener check and re torque if necessary. Just take a photo of the odometer and document what you did in your Rider's Manual and you're good to go. If you have a GS-911, plug it in and check and clear any fault codes.

IMG_4472.JPG

Last edited:
Do a full scan with the GS 911 and save it to the maintenance file, then clear any fault codes.
All of the scans and serviceo f my bikes are save to maintenance record files.

Mine arrived 6 years ago, why the long wait?
I've had my GS-911 for about 3 years (since my first BMW - K1600B), a Rexxer for my Duck, and a Power Commander for the HDs. I like the user friendliness of the GS-911 the most...and I'll like it a lot better when the update to include the R18 is available for download!!

I've had my GS-911 for about 3 years (since my first BMW - K1600B), a Rexxer for my Duck, and a Power Commander for the HDs. I like the user friendliness of the GS-911 the most...and I'll like it a lot better when the update to include the R18 is available for download!!
Me too

Even though the GS-911 doesn't have R18 specific firmware, mine has already informed me why there is a lighting system fault shown every time I start the bike. All of the lights work normally at the front end and including the rear signals, as tail lights and brake lights. BUT, I'd forgotten that I have removed the OEM license plate light when I installed the AdMore Lighting light bar. I'm waiting for the new firmware from AdMore, so the built-in license plate LED isn't operating yet. SUNUVAGUN! I have evidence that the GS-911 works well and, for now, I can live with the fault code.

I will be doing my first service in just a very few miles (Rider's Manual states 300 - 750 miles); and I am approaching the outer limit. I've waited in hopes that the Mother Ship would've released their Repair Manual DVD by now (bought bike in late November but the cold wet Ohio winter made storage the best option for a windshield-less bike) but I can't wait much longer. I have done my own service meticulously for 3 decades but never without a shop manual. So...BMW MOA has excellent videos that are of a great help and the Rider's Manual has the info I need for fluids and other specs but what I haven't been able to find anywhere yet is a definitive list of what BMW does for the running-in check on an R18. Of course oil and filter change, check all fasteners for proper torque, an overall check end to end, and (whether required or not) I'm changing the final drive fluid. Not sure if the transmission fluid needs changed or not. Do any of you have an "official" running-in check list for the R18? Or perhaps a list of services performed from a paid receipt to a shop? I just want to document fully and don't want to miss anything.

Attachments

• C3F5EA5B-6517-4439-ABF3-F45546C98BAF.jpeg
    C3F5EA5B-6517-4439-ABF3-F45546C98BAF.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 89
I will add that I was looking to avoid taking my base model to the dealership for the first service. But I had paid for the Brenn Tune and on their advice I took it in because they told me there are nearly always some adjustments made in the flash. I was suspect but I was surprised that difference was noticeable.
The service writer and manager had worked at my Toyota dealership at one point in their careers and they told me the bike took awhile to complete the flash. While they said they cannot tell what was in the flash they did say the early production bikes (mine was early 2021 model) do appear to take more data during the update.

Back