Freedom exhaust for R18 Classic

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered and received 4 inch Freedom “Performance” mufflers for my 2021 R18 Classic. It came with no instructions and no parts list. I called the tech line and it went to voice mail, which was full and could not take any further calls. I called sales and amazingly, someone answered. I asked for an instruction sheet. “We didn’t make an instruction sheet for that muffler yet. We can email you the instruction sheet for the fishtail version”. So I went with that. I also had to ask if it came with a heat shield for the head pipe, you reuse the stock one. Going through the directions, I discovered that I am missing spacers for the saddlebags. Now I will have to call them for that. I don’t recommend this shady company.

I installed Freedom Performances 4.5in on my Transcontinental. I knew that they were not designed for my version of R18 but ordered anyway. Their lack of instructions just baffles me! I assumed that they would have instructions online. Wrong!! I was able to figure out how to install with some trial and error. NOTE: If you install on your Bagger or TC you will have to cut the bar that supports the stock exhaust and saddle bags. I also reused the stock exhaust heat shield mount as I just couldn't get the proper angle with the Freedom mounts. I also had to order their slant exhaust tips as the straight tips look too short to me as can be seen in pictures. I do like the quality of the exhaust and the sound. Would have purchased the Vance and Hines but we know how BMW is doing with accessories right now 😭

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_193139_7.jpg
    IMG_20211204_193139_7.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211205_162559_8.jpg
    IMG_20211205_162559_8.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
Yeah I ordered shark fins and that has already been an interesting experience customer service wise. I’ve found the only way to get through is the sales ext. even that is hit or miss. A couple of times I’ve been put on hold only to be sent to voicemail after some time. When I’ve called to inquire and adjust order they had the darn seat time finding it. I’ve emailed them repeatedly and never gotten a return. In my experience there has only been a handful of effortless motorcycle vendors these days. Learned to be ready for disappointment .

Well, my 2.5" Fishtails arrived last night and I only had enough time to unbox and lay them out. As others have already mentioned --nope, no instructions or parts list. But, after about 10 minutes of playing around, I have everything accounted for and ready to install. On that note, they seem overly complicated for what they are. They are basically a "skin" over an internal pipe with the assembly tied together with hose clamps. The finish appears to be very good; the fit is to be determined! I have contacted FP regarding the missing paperwork. In 2021, if they have an electronic file that they can eMail customers, there is no reason it cannot also be on their site for download. Also, I am awaiting to hear about the optional baffles that are shipped separately. I have no word on them yet.

Now, I'd just like to say that I do not necessarily fault FP for any of the shortcomings. Everyone is navigating a crazy new world today --hell, if I can even find chicken wings anymore, they are the price of a 2019 filet mignon. I am sure FP is doing the best that they can right now.

Last edited:
Well, my 2.5" Fishtails arrived last night and I only had enough time to unbox and lay them out. As others have already mentioned --nope, no instructions or parts list. But, after about 10 minutes of playing around, I have everything accounted for and ready to install. On that note, they seem overly complicated for what they are. They are basically a "skin" over an internal pipe with the assembly tied together with hose clamps. The finish appears to be very good; the fit is to be determined! I have contacted FP regarding the missing paperwork. In 2021, if they have an electronic file that they can eMail customers, there is no reason it cannot also be on their site for download. Also, I am awaiting to hear about the optional baffles that are shipped separately. I have no word on them yet.

Now, I'd just like to say that I do not necessarily fault FP for any of the shortcomings. Everything and everyone is navigating a crazy new world today --hell, if I can even find chicken wings anymore, they are the price of a 2019 filet mignon. I am sure FP is doing the best that they can right now.
Thank you for the update. Much appreciated. From the looks of them is there any sound dampening at all? Good luck getting a hold of them. Haha!

Thank you for the update. Much appreciated. From the looks of them is there any sound dampening at all? Good luck getting a hold of them. Haha!
There is a ~6" long perforated layer on the ID of the internal pipe at the rear, but that is it. It is otherwise a fully thru pipe. There is no way to add any fiber baffling to it which must be the reason for the optional baffles. Not having them on hand though, my guess is that they press fit in the area that is perforated.

Cool. Thanks. Sorry for all the questions but one more…. Does it look like the unit will be have to taken completely apart to add dampeners later? Understand if it’s too early to tell.

Cool. Thanks. Sorry for all the questions but one more…. Does it look like the unit will be have to taken completely apart to add dampeners later? Understand if it’s too early to tell.
If it all goes together as I think AND if the baffles go where they seem to make the most sense ... one would have to remove 2 captured fasteners and loosen 1 pipe (not hose) clamp to swap the baffles in or out. That is per side. Maybe 5 minutes total?

Well, after I had everything set out, I figured it would take at least an hour per side with a lot of cussing and sweating. There just seemed to be too much going on for such a simple thing. Much to my surprise it all went together without a hitch in about 20 minutes per side and the fit is perfect. Everything is of excellent quality if not perhaps OEM. My 1% gripe is that the welds that hold the clamp retainers dimpled the exterior of the outer shells —right where they’re most obvious. I’d like to see them go with a high heat epoxy and avoid the problem. Now that they are installed, I’ll revise my thoughts on baffling procedures. It appears that they should be accessible by removing 2 fasteners from the tail itself and then loosening the 3 clamps enough to slide the outer shell back enough to reach the baffle fastener. I’ll know for sure when the baffles arrive. And on that topic, they are loud but not brutal, so the baffles may stay in the box.

Oh, I almost forgot. Though I removed the Classic panniers from my bike, FP thoughtfully placed thru holes in the plates for the pannier mounts! I was impressed enough that I might actually unbox the panniers and try them again!

I am 99% blown away. Very impressive. More later when I sober up.
View attachment 3749
Since I have a sidecar installed I will probably not change the Classic mufflers.My bike has gotten a little louder after 10,000 miles,plus the weight of the car causes the exhaust note to have more volume.Espicially when pulling a hill. Of all the exhausts pictures posted these are my favorite and look the best.Very clean and I would think they weigh less too.
I would like to hear them in person with the standard and quiet baffles.
If you put the Panniers back on please post some side and rear pictures.

Back