Front Wheel Noise

Hi,
I purchased my R18 Transcontinental this spring, I am impressed with the performance of the bike. The only issue I have is noise from the front wheel. On new pavement I do not hear the noise but on worn pavement I hear a loud rumble. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thx
Barry

My tires have been noisy on different pavement and that has been on various bikes wearing sport touring, adventure and "cruiser" tires like on the R18 models. Some rumble and others "sing" to the point of being annoying and the Michelins my bike came shod with do rumble on certain pavement, but nothing of concern as it is minor and repeatable on a particular section of road.

Anyway, I routinely will make a good visual inspection of my tires when I clean the wheels or if I have any concern as to their integrity be it after hitting a severe pot hole or a new noise or vibration. I also double check tire pressures at least every few weeks regardless having TPM or not. It takes just a few seconds and gives me peace of mind and if there was any doubt I would stop by the shop to have them looked at.

I have it too.
I first thought it came from the new front fender (plastic stuff).
So I ripped it off and rode with nothing.
The noise persisted.
It comes from the tire obviously and increases with the tire wear.
I tried a brand new TC and the noise was there. Discreet ( new tires) but clearly present. I didn't check the brand of the tire though.

Last edited:
My tires have been noisy on different pavement and that has been on various bikes wearing sport touring, adventure and "cruiser" tires like on the R18 models. Some rumble and others "sing" to the point of being annoying and the Michelins my bike came shod with do rumble on certain pavement, but nothing of concern as it is minor and repeatable on a particular section of road.

Anyway, I routinely will make a good visual inspection of my tires when I clean the wheels or if I have any concern as to their integrity be it after hitting a severe pot hole or a new noise or vibration. I also double check tire pressures at least every few weeks regardless having TPM or not. It takes just a few seconds and gives me peace of mind and if there was any doubt I would stop by the shop to have them looked at.
Thx my bike has Michelins and it is an annoying rumble I hear, I guess the good new it just the tires.

I purchased a TC on Saturday and noticed this on the way home. For sure tire noise, but once I google translate the above I am willing to try it.

I'm pretty excited about this thread; this same noise description has been bothering me as well - I thought the noise was coming from within the fairing, potentially when the dealer installed the TFT screen protector at the time of my R18 B purchase.

I was potentially thinking of going through the entire TFT installation manual in order to make sure the dealer reassembled everything back correctly.

I'm going to take a closer look and try installing rubber isolation bushings as described above (Tomi08)

For some reason I have not heard this noise. About the only sound that I noticed is the decibel level associated with the cam chain. Harleys used to have a problem with a loud primary drive but the Milwaukee Eight engine has solved that problem.

I picked up eight rubber isolation washers from our local Benjamin Bros hardware store; I installed one behind each screw head and I'll have to see if I notice a difference (probably two weeks - son goes back to college next weekend). I used an air wrench as it's pretty tight working in the fender area without removing the wheel.

T-40 Torx is required; I didn't install an isolation washer between the Fender & the Fork surface.

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_181450631.jpg
    IMG_20220815_181450631.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 20
Les r18 tc sont équipés de pneus Michelin commander 3.
ces pneus ont la réputation de faire des vibrations.
Voir les avis sur ce type de pneu.

J'avais ce problème avec ma R18 Transcontinental, j'ai modifié la fixation du garde-boue avant avec des silentblocs.
depuis j'ai beaucoup moin de bruit ( -70%)
Merci!!! That has been driving me nuts ... and with the windshield on, it is even louder ... I most certainly will gives this a try.

Les pneus Michelin commander lll sont aussi très critiquées pour leurs vibrations !!
I don't seem to have any 'vibration' issues ... more of a scratching/rumbling noise. In any case, I will give your solution a try ... seems easy enough .. and 70% would be a huge improvement!

Back