Front Wheel Noise

Sur le site de Michelin.fr , beaucoup d'avis négatifs pour ce pneu, et certains propriétaires de moto HD ont changé les roulements de la roue avant !! Croyant que le bruit venait de la mécanique.

Sur le site de Michelin.fr , beaucoup d'avis négatifs pour ce pneu, et certains propriétaires de moto HD ont changé les roulements de la roue avant !! Croyant que le bruit venait de la mécanique.
Well I can see how somebody might think that ... it is a very disconcerting noise .. i wasn't going to go that far, the bike has barely 5000 miles on the counter :)
But I do thank you very much for your isolator idea, that is a quick (cheap) and easy thing to try.

I had my bike in for its 10km service and the service rep said the road noise is from tire wear. The tire is wearing on one side. Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• 755E32C6-CF7B-4A29-83C7-A5EEC0AEDA4B.jpeg
    755E32C6-CF7B-4A29-83C7-A5EEC0AEDA4B.jpeg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 6EE68C11-0AC9-46B7-A462-B2BADF822B7A.jpeg
    6EE68C11-0AC9-46B7-A462-B2BADF822B7A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
That's amazing!
I never seen sunch a thing!
Are you only turning left ?
🙃
Would your riding position be unbalanced on the right side? And unnoticeably makes you keep an angle to compensate?

I had my bike in for its 10km service and the service rep said the road noise is from tire wear. The tire is wearing on one side. Anyone else experience this?
How many miles on that tire?

I went out and checked my bike's front tire for any unusual wear; nothing showing, I only have about 3k worth of miles on tires though.

Since isolating the fender from the forks on my bike, I haven't heard the "elusive" humm as much; I do still hear something on certain pavement types.

The fender well does ring like a bell if I tap on it; I accept that is probably the root of the noise that I periodically hear from time to time.

How many miles on that tire?

I went out and checked my bike's front tire for any unusual wear; nothing showing, I only have about 3k worth of miles on tires though.

Since isolating the fender from the forks on my bike, I haven't heard the "elusive" humm as much; I do still hear something on certain pavement types.

The fender well does ring like a bell if I tap on it; I accept that is probably the root of the noise that I periodically hear from time to time.
6000 miles on the tire, I noticed the noise at 3000 miles and it just got worst over time.

I've had similar wear on a couple front multi-compound tires from different manufacturers that was similar to this, but at much higher mileage (15,000+ miles). In my case(s) it was noticeable after cross country trips where after many miles of "droning" to get home the fronts showed this wear pattern where the compounds met and the rubber scuffed away at a slightly different rate leaving the higher center and more dished/worn areas to the sides of center. There are many conditions that can contribute to "odd" wear, but if the tire pressure was relatively close to correct pressure and you weren't trying to flat track her (j/k) I would guess you have a tire that was improperly cured and this caused the uneven pattern your tire has. My Classic on the OEM installed Michelins has a bunch of rear tire left at 11,XXX miles, but the front is at the wear bars. It shows some very minor cupping or dishing that can be felt when you run your hand over the carcass, but IMO very normal and similar to all my other "ready to be replaced" tires. I normally ride mostly twisty back roads at a "spirited pace" in the Appalachians where I live and for a subjective comparison, mine at 6,000 miles looked more new than not and had very even wear and I am very happy how they performed as to handling and longevity to this point given what I ask of the tires overall. I don't know how Michelin will respond given the miles you are at, but the dealer should ask for them to consider at minimum a pro rated replacement and even better would be to provide you a new one to swop out so they could further examine your oddly worn carcass.

Good luck.

I was in contact with Michelin and they gave me a credit towards the purchase of a new Michelin tire. The customer service reps at Michelin were outstanding to deal with, I sent them a copy of my invoice for new tire and they done a e-transfer to my bank account. Hope the new tire solves my problem.

I was in contact with Michelin and they gave me a credit towards the purchase of a new Michelin tire. The customer service reps at Michelin were outstanding to deal with, I sent them a copy of my invoice for new tire and they done a e-transfer to my bank account. Hope the new tire solves my problem.
That is amazing customer service! For a tire with 6k on it...I am shocked. Kudos to Michelin

Hey Scott where did you get those rubber washers? have a link or size?
I think I backed out one of the mounting bolts and sized it at my local hardware store (Benjamin Bros).

Also, try tightening the sleeves that cover the upper shock; they attached to a cap that also doubles as the Model B directional blinker mounts.

I have heard this complaint from Bridgestone (2021 & 2022) tires too, its not the tires...
I removed my fender and applied bedliner on the inside of the fender hoping it would absorb some of the noise... It did basically nothing...
One persona said they did the isolators on the fender bolts AND did some tightening on the caps over the front shock (the dust cover) and eliminated the noise... Those parts are basically like a bell if you bang on them - I thought for sure it was them.

I tried to tighten everything on the front I could find, still I get the noise.

AND to add insult to injury, I made note to the dealer on my test drive before I bought the bike AND at my 600-mile service... The dealer said they didn't hear anything... SO I wont be going back to that dealer ever.

Who has had luck with the rubber washers?

I don't recall hearing the wheel noise for some time now, I'll keep an ear to the rail as riding weather is starting to return; I've already told myself, I'll just turn the volume up on the tunes if it returns...

I don't recall hearing the wheel noise for some time now, I'll keep an ear to the rail as riding weather is starting to return; I've already told myself, I'll just turn the volume up on the tunes if it returns...
Not the worst solution. LOL but I have heard from friends they can hear it as I pull into parking lots... Hard having such a stunning looking bike that sounds broken when you drive.

I had the hum driving my brand new bike out of the dealer. Kind of comes and goes. Most prominent when letting off throttle. It’s louder than the bike at times. The bike I tested had 2,000 miles and no sounds. My RnineT and my K1300S are without odd sounds.
Quite disappointed with the noise but love the bike. Dealer said they would address at 600 mile service but this discussion does not give me much hope of that

I had the hum driving my brand new bike out of the dealer. Kind of comes and goes. Most prominent when letting off throttle. It’s louder than the bike at times. The bike I tested had 2,000 miles and no sounds. My RnineT and my K1300S are without odd sounds.
Quite disappointed with the noise but love the bike. Dealer said they would address at 600 mile service but this discussion does not give me much hope of that
Let us know if your dealer helps at all, sounds like most of our dealers can't be bothered to figure it out, or even admit they hear it...

My hum is entirely speed variant. It’s not related to engine speed. At times I have been concerned it’s related to axle or transmission clutch throw out bearing ?
The front bumper can be removed. Has anyone taken it off and ridden without to see if that’s the source ? Maybe we have different humming noises.
Almost sounds like a bad torque converter without the clanks. Obviously that’s not it. Would be simple for bmw to pinpoint this and come out with a fix. They can’t want bad publicity as these bikes are already selling at 33% off at 0%

Back