Fuel Economy ???

buellwinkle

Dear Friends I am a new R18 Owner.... Today I had to visit the dealer to have them show me how to get my Bike in reverse, Upon leaving, I notice the low fuel indicator turned on ! ! I nearly panicked, thinking this beast only got me 25mpg, NOT !! I am getting 40 mpg in town on my first tank, there seams a crazy mix between what the bike thinks it is getting and my measurements show me I have got. Now comes the crazy part of navigating the menu to change the trip miles back to zero. All this with the lady at the pump chatting away like a magpie and I had on my helmet and Ear Plugs, could not hear a thing she said, but I left the station with a smile, I can live with 40 mpg.....

Dear Friends I am a new R18 Owner.... Today I had to visit the dealer to have them show me how to get my Bike in reverse, Upon leaving, I notice the low fuel indicator turned on ! ! I nearly panicked, thinking this beast only got me 25mpg, NOT !! I am getting 40 mpg in town on my first tank, there seams a crazy mix between what the bike thinks it is getting and my measurements show me I have got. Now comes the crazy part of navigating the menu to change the trip miles back to zero. All this with the lady at the pump chatting away like a magpie and I had on my helmet and Ear Plugs, could not hear a thing she said, but I left the station with a smile, I can live with 40 mpg.....
I assume these are the smaller US gallons . I have found my R18 gives very good mpg (UK) but I don't do a lot of city riding. 58 to 62 mpg is common but before it was run in it was a lot more thirsty. After 1500 miles I was amazed at the economy riding at 70 to 80mph on major roads. The onboard computer seems very accurate with my own calculations. This better than I get from my R75/5 or R90S.

If you run non-ethanol fuel you will get a little more mpg.
Agree TEN THOUSAND%. You'll *also* get a smoother running engine that gets better HP and torque. If you cannot get shitty corn free fuel, use an additive like this in *every* full tank of gas. *Gasoline*engines run best on *gasoline*...period, hard core.

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_160317.jpg
    IMG_20220420_160317.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
I assume these are the smaller US gallons . I have found my R18 gives very good mpg (UK) but I don't do a lot of city riding. 58 to 62 mpg is common but before it was run in it was a lot more thirsty. After 1500 miles I was amazed at the economy riding at 70 to 80mph on major roads. The onboard computer seems very accurate with my own calculations. This better than I get from my R75/5 or R90S.
Very happy to hear this ! !

I'm only getting 39 mpg over pretty leisurely riding. I do have a tune on it though, so it's likely burning more fuel than the stock tune.
Depends on the tune... On my C-14 Concurs the tune significantly increased the mid-range power. I ride it a good bit harder now and my mpg has seen a consistent 4-6 mpg increase.

On my various Rockets, the different mpg tunes increased performance and the mpg stayed about the same despite me riding it harder. Same on my Bren Stage 2 tune on K1600 Grand America despite a VERY significant HP/TQ increase.

Depends on the tune... On my C-14 Concurs the tune significantly increased the mid-range power. I ride it a good bit harder now and my mpg has seen a consistent 4-6 mpg increase.

On my various Rockets, the different mpg tunes increased performance and the mpg stayed about the same despite me riding it harder. Same on my Bren Stage 2 tune on K1600 Grand America despite a VERY significant HP/TQ increase.
I've got the BT Moto tune from the group buy here. I only had 600 miles on it when I flashed it, but it really seems like I have to get gas more often now and my numbers are consistently below 40. I didn't have enough tanks through it before to really say.

I've got a Power Commander on my GS and it has actually increased mileage since I did it. Of course, I mostly use that bike for distance work since it's so comfortable. I'm turning just over 46 mpg on that GS 1200 average.

I don't mind the gas mileage, it's just lower than I have gotten on similar displacement Harleys. The R18 is a heavier bike than a softail or dyna though, so it makes sense.

Back