Goldwing to a R18 TC

Uncertain if he did a demo ride prior. If doing one for the first time, just before signing papers then I hope you know what you are doing :)
Then again, here I am signing papers for a base 2021 R18FE and only did a demo ride on it for a very short time. As I recall back then I cut the ride short and the Owner of the shop that went with me was surprised. I have since done a demo ride on a TC and enjoyed that more. Due to cost, and other bike I have for Touring (2019 goldwing tour dct) I will get the base model anyway and learn to like/love it…is my hope.

So far as your question goes. The prior gen wing was great, I had a lip stick red color…don’t know if that was a 2002 but it was the gen before the current one (just not the last year(s) when they changed the look of the side bags). A wing is silk smooth and all the comfort one could ask for I feel. I just wish it had a 6th gear back then (my recall was they were 5 speeds). The TC will be a different animal altogether. The engine will not be smooth as glass through the rpm range, unlike your wing (is/was). The TFT screen has some teething issues but I figure bmw is resolving that bit by bit.

My guess is the TC will feel harder to handle at very low/turning speeds, other forum members might disagree. Storage area in the side bags is limited due to the speakers (thinking TC has them like the Bagger model does) though you do get the bmw truck (just thinking total volume on the bmw will be less then your wing (could be mistaken). It is a cruiser class bike so lean angles are probably more limited than what you are used to on a Goldwing but I could be mistaken.

The TC is a sweet looking bike, just make darn sure you are ok with weight. If you are then enjoy the new ride just realize the BMW is an air cooled motor, not water coiled like the goldwing.

Other forum members that owned prior wings or still have them and got a TC can provide much better (on point) thoughts I offer.

Last edited:
I'm a previous 2018 GW manual owner. I must admit that after a week of riding my TC I went back to my dealer to get my GW back. When I got to my dealer, I met the couple that just purchased my GW! No BS. I'm actually glad I wasn't able to get my GW back. After another week or so I was in love with my new girl.

You are in for an adjustment. If like myself, you didn't get a test ride give yourself time. There's another 110+ pounds you'll have to manhandle. The GW will out handle a TC or Bagger all day every day! The thing about the R18's that I adore is that the bikes have a soul. The GW, as great as it is, had no soul to me. It was too smooth and too quiet. BTW my GW was going to be traded in no matter what. The GW just wasn't "me". My 2nd option was an Electra Glide Ultra. Surprisingly the BMW TC loaded has more features for a similar price. Harley has no reverse, ACC and only comes with four speakers.

AND if you have a woman to consider you might want to wait for a BMW event and take her along for the test ride if you haven't already. No armrest or grab rails on the R18 TC's.

I am not as I'm sure no one else is trying to have you change your mind as we love our R18's. But there is a learning curve involved with the change you are about to make. I am so glad that I kept my TC. It's been a year and 7000 miles as of today and I still can't get off that thing and not look back at it. 😍

Please keep us posted.

Great post Lloydw1. I can see someone maybe wanting their wing back at first and likewise maybe, in your case for certain, wanting to keep the TC in the end. There is something special about the R18 engine one figures that for some people just makes them want to turn the key and go for another ride again and again. I second the thoughts about lack of soul in a wing. Sometimes bikes are made now days and they are so smooth or refrained you wonder if you have an engine beneath you at all it seems. Character matters on a bike, car etc. Heck, now days engines are so smooth they have to pipe in engine/exhaust sounds into the cabin of vechicles so one can feel any connection to what is moving the wheels.

Maybe for those willing to spend the time, BMW created the special sauce just right on the R18 engine ‘refinement’ and character :)

Last edited:
Picking my 2022 R18 TC tomorrow.
Coming from a 2006 goldwing what should I expect?
The sweet spot is 2,500 rpm in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. You will like this bike at these engine speeds.
The tech on this bike is extraordinary.

I fell in love with the soul of the R18. The BMW K bike was too smooth. I like that the boxer is a bit rough outside it’s sweet spot. This motor feels like my 2009 GS. It was air oil cooled has similar vibration at the low end.

This bike is joy to ride. Since getting it, I have not been on my GSA much at all.

I'm a previous 2018 GW manual owner. I must admit that after a week of riding my TC I went back to my dealer to get my GW back. When I got to my dealer, I met the couple that just purchased my GW! No BS. I'm actually glad I wasn't able to get my GW back. After another week or so I was in love with my new girl.

You are in for an adjustment. If like myself, you didn't get a test ride give yourself time. There's another 110+ pounds you'll have to manhandle. The GW will out handle a TC or Bagger all day every day! The thing about the R18's that I adore is that the bikes have a soul. The GW, as great as it is, had no soul to me. It was too smooth and too quiet. BTW my GW was going to be traded in no matter what. The GW just wasn't "me". My 2nd option was an Electra Glide Ultra. Surprisingly the BMW TC loaded has more features for a similar price. Harley has no reverse, ACC and only comes with four speakers.

AND if you have a woman to consider you might want to wait for a BMW event and take her along for the test ride if you haven't already. No armrest or grab rails on the R18 TC's.

I am not as I'm sure no one else is trying to have you change your mind as we love our R18's. But there is a learning curve involved with the change you are about to make. I am so glad that I kept my TC. It's been a year and 7000 miles as of today and I still can't get off that thing and not look back at it. 😍

Please keep us posted.
Awesome i love my bagger

Back