Goodbye R18

Hi all

With bittersweet feelings, I am no longer a part of this special and small community of R18 riders. A few days ago, I traded in my R18 for an RT. I am happy with the RT, but I also miss the sheer beauty and visceral presence of the R18. Here are some points that will hopefully justify why I did what I did

Why I got an R18
  1. Beautiful, unique, demands attention
  2. I came from an F900XR and needed something that could handle 80+ mph without screaming it's head off
  3. Got a good deal on a first edition
  4. I wanted to go on longer rides up the west coast and the XR just didn't seem like it was a good choice (turns out the R18 wasn't it for me either, but I didn't know this then)
Why I traded in the R18
  1. I commute to work everyday in moderate to heavy traffic about 25 miles round trip. I am 150lbs and 6' and I'm not super strong - come midweek, I was finding myself exhausted which would almost inevitably make me take my car to work. Basically, the R18 was just too much work for me in a commuting mindset. For a weekend experience where there isn't the typical added stress of work traffic, making meetings etc, it's great - but it just didn't step up for me as a vehicle to commute with; a result of my poor decision going into this a year ago.
  2. Height. Compared to the XR, and now the RT, even with a Corbin seat, the bike was way too low for me. Again, not an issue if I'm just using it to leisure cruise - constant legs up and down in work traffic got really tiresome really quick. Combined with this, medication I am on gives me muscle cramps easily, and every morning was a painful experience until I was 'acclimatized' for the day. Not an issue with the RT.
  3. Wind noise. I think this is self explanatory; even with a biggish Givi windscreen, it was loud. The RT is shockingly quiet in comparison.
  4. Weight. Like I said earlier, it was tiring me out.
  5. Luggage and accessories. I made the HUGE mistake of getting an R18 without cruise control. Coupled with commuting duty, this was a nightmare. Also, I needed more room to cart all my stuff - laptop, purse, work clothes etc, and I was able to make this work using the BMW saddlebags; but the lack of additional options, and the lack of being able to secure and lock my stuff was an irritant.
  6. Beautiful, unique, demands attention :) yes, this was a pro for me but got a little irksome pretty quick. Yes, I loved the conversations the bike would trigger...but...I'm not enough of a motorcycle enthusiast to drop everything else for said conversations all of the time; sometimes I just want to get my stuff and go. Also, some of these conversations seemed to turn away from motorcycles and towards a direction I'm not interested in so...yeah.
I think that's everything in my head. Maybe I will be motivated enough someday, and in a situation, where I can get back on this beautiful motorcycle. Until then, its the RT for me.

Thanks for reading!
Vikki

Last edited:
The RT is a great commuting bike for sure. Based on the mission that you describe, it sounds like a much better fit. The R18C might have addressed some of your issues, but it's still not ideal (for my tastes) as a daily commuter. For me, the R18 is a great second bike, but I put 5 miles on my R1250GS for every mile I put on my R18. As to your last bullet, given the typical rider demographic, the RT may not solve that, but it is what it is I guess... Anyway, happy riding!

Best of luck with the RT. I've covered a lot of miles on RTs and sold my 15 RT to try the R18. For the type of use you describe the RT is a fantastic choice and with the latest version gaining LED headlights and active cruise control BMW continues to add to a "well polished apple".

Safe riding, be well and have fun!!

I think you've made a good, well-thought choice. The R18 is visceral, beautiful and a bit of a beast. The RT is an incredibly great bike with years of refinements that make it a superlative choice. Enjoy!

I think you've made a good, well-thought choice. The R18 is visceral, beautiful and a bit of a beast. The RT is an incredibly great bike with years of refinements that make it a superlative choice. Enjoy!

I am not sure why people think the 18 is such a beast. Maybe I'm just use to heavier bikes. I am not at all a big person, 185lbs, 57" tall on a good day, and not that young anymore either... I think the bike is quite easy to ride and move around...

I am not sure why people think the 18 is such a beast. Maybe I'm just use to heavier bikes. I am not at all a big person, 185lbs, 57" tall on a good day, and not that young anymore either... I think the bike is quite easy to ride and move around...
I'd agree with this. While I find the R18 more challenging to maneuver at low speeds in tight spaces than other bikes, I don't find it physically more taxing than other bikes.

Vikki, thanks for your thoughtful post. I have a 62 mile roundtrip commute and as much as I love the R18 --well, you said it! Another matter for me is weather. Despite a RAIN mode on the R18, the GS will always get the nod if there is a chance. Enjoy your RT; it is an amazing machine. Congratulations.

I agree with you guys to a point and while most motorcycles I've had did much of what the others could do there is no doubt they all had their strengths and weaknesses. I met some friends on an Alaska- Western Canada trip where I was on my GSA and they had Indian and Victory touring bikes. Both those guys are incredibly accomplished riders, but where I had fun on the countless construction zones and gravel road sections I'd say they were working. We had perfectly dry weather and they did fine, but rain and mud likely would have been the last straw on several stretches. Horses for courses and all. My aprilia Futura GS headed to Colorado and my Victory Crossroads GS leading some friends up to the Blue Ridge Parkway on Forrest Service gravel roads.

Attachments

• D87DEFF9-F745-4945-AA3C-5CBA01BAA0F7.jpeg
    D87DEFF9-F745-4945-AA3C-5CBA01BAA0F7.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 12
  • 1645968E-6C99-4D9A-8809-D2835B26457D.jpeg
    1645968E-6C99-4D9A-8809-D2835B26457D.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Off topic... Why I call it The Beast:
Well, the TC LOOKS like a beast with that massive engine fully emphasized in the design. Looks aside, at 942 pounds (for my TC), it has a lot of mass to move and to direct, and you must consider mass when moving any object. The TC is a very well-balanced mass and I find it relatively easy to move around as well; almost as easy as my 650 pound GS, but different due to the TC's low seating position and length. I have been very impressed with the low-speed maneuverability and the road manners are very good. That being said, I don't feel the TC is as nimble as the GS (if a GS could be considered "nimble"!).
I found the TC was a better choice for us than the 1600GTL that I thought was going to be our next bike. I would have liked the RT but it wasn't as comfortable two-up for us as is the TC. If I had been getting a bike for solo riding I probably would have picked an RT or another GS. That said, I really like the TC and it makes me smile... moves my soul, as they say. But then, so does my GS!

Vikki, thanks for your thoughtful post. I have a 62 mile roundtrip commute and as much as I love the R18 --well, you said it! Another matter for me is weather. Despite a RAIN mode on the R18, the GS will always get the nod if there is a chance. Enjoy your RT; it is an amazing machine. Congratulations.
Thanks @burangs!

In and of itself, I agree; for me, it was this and some other factors all coming together I guess.

I've owned almost 20 bikes including a half dozen Harleys and the R18 is the biggest pain to push around in the driveway. Are there a few bikes that are heavier, like a gold wing or mega classic super trunk electra glide? Of course. Are the vast majority of motorcycles on the road easier to move around with leg power? Certainly yes. I have to turn around my bikes in a single car driveway with a decent slope and the R18 is the most annoying bike to do that with of any I've owned.

I've owned almost 20 bikes including a half dozen Harleys and the R18 is the biggest pain to push around in the driveway. Are there a few bikes that are heavier, like a gold wing or mega classic super trunk electra glide? Of course. Are the vast majority of motorcycles on the road easier to move around with leg power? Certainly yes. I have to turn around my bikes in a single car driveway with a decent slope and the R18 is the most annoying bike to do that with of any I've owned.
Not for me...u just need some room. It's so low to the ground u hardly feel it's weight. Sitting in the seat moving in reverse is easy, and that's wout using it's reverse. I guess I must be stronger then others .lol

Because of the frame mounted faring, my Road Glide was much more cumbersome to move around. I only had it go over on me once and that ws pretty scary because once it passes the tipping point, I just tried to ease it down.
A few weeks ago, I turned too sharply getting it into the garage and it started to go over but I was able to muscle it back up probably due to the lower center of gravity. I find the R18 to be much easier to maneuver at low speeds.

Last edited:
Based on your needs, I think you made an excellent choise. RT is like a work-horse (better looking horse than a GS though..^^) and will perform as your business partner and weekend blast at the same time.

Well-reasoned and responsible. I totally get the unwanted attention thing. Not the part about the distasteful direction, no that’s hardly ever an issue 🤣. I mean the part about talking motorcycles when you really just want to get on with your errands. Oh yeah? You had an R60? That’s great. All original you say? Yeah. K. Ear plugs going in. And you’re still talking. Ok. I’m putting on my helmet…

Enjoy the RT and know that you’re always welcome back!

Back