Goodbye R18

Sounds like your choice was well reasoned. Enjoy the RT and ride safe. For my part, I am totally smitten with my R18C FE. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I can't get enough of that bike. I love my R1250GSA, but I actually think I'll be using the GSA for long hauls and two-up riding, but the R18C for everything else. Just love the bike, but Ive always been "half a bubble off" when it comes to taste in motorcycles...

Last edited:
Well-reasoned and responsible. I totally get the unwanted attention thing. Not the part about the distasteful direction, no that’s hardly ever an issue 🤣. I mean the part about talking motorcycles when you really just want to get on with your errands. Oh yeah? You had an R60? That’s great. All original you say? Yeah. K. Ear plugs going in. And you’re still talking. Ok. I’m putting on my helmet…

Enjoy the RT and know that you’re always welcome back!
Haha @TodkaVonic ❤️

Sounds like your choice was well reasoned. Enjoy the RT and ride safe. For my part, I am totally smitten with my R18C FE. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I can't get enough of that bike. I love my R1250GSA, but I actually think I'll be using the GSA for long hauls and two-up riding, but the R18C for everything else. Just love the bike, but Ive always been "half a bubble off" when it comes to taste in motorcycles...
No way. Your bubbles are fine. The R18 is a beautiful motorcycle by anybody’s standards. The RT is functional and can grow on you, but the R18 is a ‘motorcycle’ (according to my daughter). Her first words on seeing my older XR - ‘you bought a scooter?’ 🙃😊

Hi all

With bittersweet feelings, I am no longer a part of this special and small community of R18 riders. A few days ago, I traded in my R18 for an RT. I am happy with the RT, but I also miss the sheer beauty and visceral presence of the R18. Here are some points that will hopefully justify why I did what I did

Why I got an R18
  1. Beautiful, unique, demands attention
  2. I came from an F900XR and needed something that could handle 80+ mph without screaming it's head off
  3. Got a good deal on a first edition
  4. I wanted to go on longer rides up the west coast and the XR just didn't seem like it was a good choice (turns out the R18 wasn't it for me either, but I didn't know this then)
Why I traded in the R18
  1. I commute to work everyday in moderate to heavy traffic about 25 miles round trip. I am 150lbs and 6' and I'm not super strong - come midweek, I was finding myAll
All excellent, sensible reasons! Good luck with your new ride...

Vikki, is there an RT community that you're active in? I mean, you seem to appreciate the R18 and have direct experience. Maybe you could check in here from time to time?

Thanks @TodkaVonic, Yes, I will stay. You folks are a great group of people I’ve learnt a lot from - thank you again.

I’ve been trying to sign up on 1200rt.com, but I’m not getting the verification email for whatever reason, junk or anywhere.

I haven't been on these forums for quite some time, but there were many good folks contributing general conversation and model specific information.

BMW Sport Touring
BMW LT (Luxury Touring)
ADV Rider (Adventure Rider) In the forums go to Road Warrior section. It's an "all the above" category, but you'll find the RT as well as the R18. Great site that has been around a long time and worth checking for everything from trips, equipment, gear, etc., etc. Search is your friend.....

Thanks @TodkaVonic, Yes, I will stay. You folks are a great group of people I’ve learnt a lot from - thank you again.

I’ve been trying to sign up on 1200rt.com, but I’m not getting the verification email for whatever reason, junk or anywhere.
I am a member of the RT forum, from when I had my 2021 RT, which I traded for my R18TC, lol. The forum was pretty much stagnant imo. The RT is a great bike. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am a member of the RT forum, from when I had my 2021 RT, which I traded for my R18TC, lol. The forum was pretty much stagnant imo. The RT is a great bike. I am sure you will enjoy it.
I have a 2022 RT Triple Black, still learning the TFT connect stuff. Long time RT rider absolutely love my RT. See you over at the other forums.A67A141A-BA10-4629-8B17-4B9AF144E603.jpeg

I am not sure why people think the 18 is such a beast. Maybe I'm just use to heavier bikes. I am not at all a big person, 185lbs, 57" tall on a good day, and not that young anymore either... I think the bike is quite easy to ride and move around...
I feel my R18 Transcontinental is a beast, definitely the heaviest bike I’ve ever owned. Riding with my wife, she had me do some last second turns which had me stop and turn around. The bike felt like it was going to drop a couple times but I held it up. The next day I found I had pulled a back muscle which lasted a few days. This happened a couple times now and I’m wondering if this is the bike for me. I’m 64 and not getting any younger.

I feel my R18 Transcontinental is a beast, definitely the heaviest bike I’ve ever owned. Riding with my wife, she had me do some last second turns which had me stop and turn around. The bike felt like it was going to drop a couple times but I held it up. The next day I found I had pulled a back muscle which lasted a few days. This happened a couple times now and I’m wondering if this is the bike for me. I’m 64 and not getting any younger.
Only you can decide, if the bike will work for you. Age, is not the deciding factor, as I am 65, 5'10 and 165lbs, and have no problem handling the TC. Granted, I have to consider, what I am gonna do, before I do it. That said, the bike is wonderful imo. It has transformed me from a hooligan on my RT, to a laid back cruising guy, on the TC & R18FE cruiser. I am so enjoying both bikes. I think you will too...

I'm a few years past 60, and have found a morning routine swinging Indian Clubs provides a substantial physical benefit on all of my bikes when reaching and pulling, also operating controls at full arm extension when maneuvering in tight or uneven surface situations. i have a few sets of various weights 3/4, 1, 2, 3 lbs, usually use 1's and 2's, sometimes grab the 3's and use the 3/4's if i have any creaks to work out. Going slow and easy to start, never requires real work but really reinforces the whole back, shoulder, arm, structure with flexible integrity. I really notice this benefit on the r18, and tremendously so when on my TC. There are many videos suggesting routines, I evolved my own over the years. (note these are not juggling clubs)

Attachments

• 1651363184409.png
    1651363184409.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Only you can decide, if the bike will work for you. Age, is not the deciding factor, as I am 65, 5'10 and 165lbs, and have no problem handling the TC. Granted, I have to consider, what I am gonna do, before I do it. That said, the bike is wonderful imo. It has transformed me from a hooligan on my RT, to a laid back cruising guy, on the TC & R18FE cruiser. I am so enjoying both bikes. I think you will too...
The problem also is that I still have some hooligan in me as well, but I can only have one bike in the stable. And the TC is definitely not a hooligan bike.

The problem also is that I still have some hooligan in me as well, but I can only have one bike in the stable. And the TC is definitely not a hooligan bike.
I'm just a year older so I appreciate your comments and there is no doubt the R18 is a big girl and for anyone to pretend she's not is silly. You're fortunate to have SWMBO enjoying riding with you and the best way to pick a bike for the two of you is to test ride two up. I have also been on smaller and lighter bikes that were very awkward to maneuver too and overall one of the hardest was the LT as it was a stretch for my stump legs and a bit tipsy to boot. Anyway, With so many outstanding motorcycles available there is no reason to stay with one that just isn't getting you in your happy place especially if one has the means and opportunity to continue the quest.

Good luck!

The R18 exhausts me to ride if the trip is over 50 miles, doubly so on roads with lots of traffic lights. Luckily, when I get too old to ride her, I have a '71 BSA Lightning to fall back on. I can throw her around all day. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• bsa.jpg
    bsa.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi all

With bittersweet feelings, I am no longer a part of this special and small community of R18 riders. A few days ago, I traded in my R18 for an RT. I am happy with the RT, but I also miss the sheer beauty and visceral presence of the R18. Here are some points that will hopefully justify why I did what I did

Why I got an R18
  1. Beautiful, unique, demands attention
  2. I came from an F900XR and needed something that could handle 80+ mph without screaming it's head off
  3. Got a good deal on a first edition
  4. I wanted to go on longer rides up the west coast and the XR just didn't seem like it was a good choice (turns out the R18 wasn't it for me either, but I didn't know this then)
Why I traded in the R18
  1. I commute to work everyday in moderate to heavy traffic about 25 miles round trip. I am 150lbs and 6' and I'm not super strong - come midweek, I was finding myself exhausted which would almost inevitably make me take my car to work. Basically, the R18 was just too much work for me in a commuting mindset. For a weekend experience where there isn't the typical added stress of work traffic, making meetings etc, it's great - but it just didn't step up for me as a vehicle to commute with; a result of my poor decision going into this a year ago.
  2. Height. Compared to the XR, and now the RT, even with a Corbin seat, the bike was way too low for me. Again, not an issue if I'm just using it to leisure cruise - constant legs up and down in work traffic got really tiresome really quick. Combined with this, medication I am on gives me muscle cramps easily, and every morning was a painful experience until I was 'acclimatized' for the day. Not an issue with the RT.
  3. Wind noise. I think this is self explanatory; even with a biggish Givi windscreen, it was loud. The RT is shockingly quiet in comparison.
  4. Weight. Like I said earlier, it was tiring me out.
  5. Luggage and accessories. I made the HUGE mistake of getting an R18 without cruise control. Coupled with commuting duty, this was a nightmare. Also, I needed more room to cart all my stuff - laptop, purse, work clothes etc, and I was able to make this work using the BMW saddlebags; but the lack of additional options, and the lack of being able to secure and lock my stuff was an irritant.
  6. Beautiful, unique, demands attention :) yes, this was a pro for me but got a little irksome pretty quick. Yes, I loved the conversations the bike would trigger...but...I'm not enough of a motorcycle enthusiast to drop everything else for said conversations all of the time; sometimes I just want to get my stuff and go. Also, some of these conversations seemed to turn away from motorcycles and towards a direction I'm not interested in so...yeah.
I think that's everything in my head. Maybe I will be motivated enough someday, and in a situation, where I can get back on this beautiful motorcycle. Until then, its the RT for me.

Thanks for reading!
Vikki
Hi Vikki I find my R18 very easy to handle, its low center of gravity helps a lot, I think you needed some pointers to make your problems go away, but best wishes for your new ride.... jp

The R18 exhausts me to ride if the trip is over 50 miles, doubly so on roads with lots of traffic lights. Luckily, when I get too old to ride her, I have a '71 BSA Lightning to fall back on. I can throw her around all day. :ROFLMAO:
I suppose its an individual thing. This morning I did about 70 miles on back highway, the interstate and the rural roads to my house. I've found that if I'm the right gear/rpm at the lower speeds, the buzz on my rear isn't as noticeable. I'm convinced the R18 (I have a Classic) is much better suited for the 70mph-80mph of the interstate than many have expressed. Locked in at about 75-80, the R18 smooths out and the buzz in both handlebars and seat go away. The seat is a definite first upgrade for most but for me, not as much. Weirdly, the Classic windscreen reenlisted is perfect for me at 6'3". Now if I was planning on a long trip over 4-7 days, I might not be so forgiving. I do think I could do 350-400 miles over a day though.

With the annual motorcycle inspections, I spent an afternoon shuttling each of my bikes to the inspection shop, so I got to do a lot of back to back riding. The weight is definitely more noticeable on the R18 vs my GSA which is 250lbs lighter, but my S1000R is still 100lbs lighter than the GSA, so it was easier still. The Vespa is 100 pounds lighter than the S1000R, so feels almost like a bicycle in comparison to the R18C given it is 455lbs lighter.

This past weekend I took the R18C up the Connecticut coastline for a leisurely 150 mile ride to grab a lobster roll on Saturday. The way up was all back roads & surface streets as I tried to hug the coastline as closely as possible, so lots of stop & go. The way back was all highway. I do think the R18 is better for back roads or highway than surface streets with lots of stop & go. I took my GSA out on Sunday for a 200 mile day ride to see a motorcycle museum in upstate CT with some similar back roads & surface streets. Maybe its because I was used to commuting into NYC with the GSA, but I felt I could stop at any stop sign & not need to put a foot down, it is so well balanced and has a steeper fork than the R18 allowing you to balance at a stop more easily. The R18 definitely needed a foot down. My Vespa is my around town vehicle of choice with lots of storage space for errands. So practical minds will lend themselves toward the GSA or Vespa for around town/commuting duties.

But the R18C pulls the heart strings more than any of my other bikes. It's the bike I'm most likely to pull out of the garage when I just want to go for a ride & represents a bit over 30% of all miles on my 5 bikes in the past 3 months & it's still been cold in the Northeast for much of that time.

The RT the OP switched to is a great all-around bike. I like taking dirt roads (and some single track when I'm really in the mood), so if I could only have one bike, it'd be my GSA no question as it is the most versatile in my fleet. If one doesn't do any dirt, the RT is a solid choice as an only bike too.

With the annual motorcycle inspections, I spent an afternoon shuttling each of my bikes to the inspection shop, so I got to do a lot of back to back riding. The weight is definitely more noticeable on the R18 vs my GSA which is 250lbs lighter, but my S1000R is still 100lbs lighter than the GSA, so it was easier still. The Vespa is 100 pounds lighter than the S1000R, so feels almost like a bicycle in comparison to the R18C given it is 455lbs lighter.

This past weekend I took the R18C up the Connecticut coastline for a leisurely 150 mile ride to grab a lobster roll on Saturday. The way up was all back roads & surface streets as I tried to hug the coastline as closely as possible, so lots of stop & go. The way back was all highway. I do think the R18 is better for back roads or highway than surface streets with lots of stop & go. I took my GSA out on Sunday for a 200 mile day ride to see a motorcycle museum in upstate CT with some similar back roads & surface streets. Maybe its because I was used to commuting into NYC with the GSA, but I felt I could stop at any stop sign & not need to put a foot down, it is so well balanced and has a steeper fork than the R18 allowing you to balance at a stop more easily. The R18 definitely needed a foot down. My Vespa is my around town vehicle of choice with lots of storage space for errands. So practical minds will lend themselves toward the GSA or Vespa for around town/commuting duties.

But the R18C pulls the heart strings more than any of my other bikes. It's the bike I'm most likely to pull out of the garage when I just want to go for a ride & represents a bit over 30% of all miles on my 5 bikes in the past 3 months & it's still been cold in the Northeast for much of that time.

The RT the OP switched to is a great all-around bike. I like taking dirt roads (and some single track when I'm really in the mood), so if I could only have one bike, it'd be my GSA no question as it is the most versatile in my fleet. If one doesn't do any dirt, the RT is a solid choice as an only bike too.
Good summation. You summed up my sentiment about the R18C perfectly. It just pulls my heartstrings harder than the other bikes. That said, like you, I would have the R1250GSA hands down if I only had one in the stable. Glad I'm blessed with a couple more options. :)

Back